Have I left GCSE Revision too late? Watch

TopLadGeezer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have my first exam in just over a month and I haven't started revising, it it possible for me to get the grades I want? I am starting proper revision tomorrow.

Grades I want:

Maths - 8
English Literature - 7
English Language - 7
Combined Science - 77
Geography - 6
French - 5
Computer Science - 5

What I got in my mocks before Easter:

Maths - 7
English Literature - 6
English Language - 5
Combined Science - 65
Geography - 4
French - 4
Computer Science - 2
cgunter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah you're fine. a month if hardcore revising is enough, english language you just watch mr Bruff, english lit learn the quotes , maths if you are doing alright now, I'm sure exam will be alright, french and comp sci study up, 5 is quite low, so just keep practising, I learnt all my computer science stuff in 3 weeks but was v difficult pulled out a 7 equilvalent one amrk off an 8, science is memory, read through your revision guides everyy night before bed. memory. Tbh it's all on memory so if youve got a good one its alright if not youre kinda screwed.
I do wish I hadn't left it until the last month as was hella stressful
sxhxl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TopLadGeezer)
I have my first exam in just over a month and I haven't started revising, it it possible for me to get the grades I want? I am starting proper revision tomorrow.

Grades I want:

Maths - 8
English Literature - 7
English Language - 7
Combined Science - 77
Geography - 6
French - 5
Computer Science - 5

What I got in my mocks before Easter:

Maths - 7
English Literature - 6
English Language - 5
Combined Science - 65
Geography - 4
French - 4
Computer Science - 2
literally on the same boat as you except I want 7's in everything- which is going to be impossible w french lool
mimsyborogrove
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's never too late to start revising; any revision is better than none. But more is also better than less. Why start tomorrow? What's wrong with today? If you keep telling yourself you're gonna start tomorrow, you aint gonna start. Just give yourself a kick up the ar** and get on with it x
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That depends on a couple of things. Firstly, how similar are the grades you want to get to your actual predicted grades? Presumably your teachers think that, unless someone's seriously behind where they need to be, there's still time for most students to reach their predicted grades, otherwise they wouldn't have set the mocks so close to the start of exam season.

Secondly, what kind of revision do you need to do? If you still don't know large amounts of content for a lot of your subjects, then getting all that done in a month is probably going to be a difficult task. However, if you know most of the content, and the main focus of your revision will be improving your exam technique (e.g. doing past paper questions), then you should be alright.

Either way, whether or not a month is enough time is a moot point, because a month is what you have. You need to start now, and use your time wisely by focusing on your weakest areas, starting with the topics or question styles you lost the most marks on in your mocks.

Good luck!
TopLadGeezer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beth_H)
That depends on a couple of things. Firstly, how similar are the grades you want to get to your actual predicted grades? Presumably your teachers think that, unless someone's seriously behind where they need to be, there's still time for most students to reach their predicted grades, otherwise they wouldn't have set the mocks so close to the start of exam season.

Secondly, what kind of revision do you need to do? If you still don't know large amounts of content for a lot of your subjects, then getting all that done in a month is probably going to be a difficult task. However, if you know most of the content, and the main focus of your revision will be improving your exam technique (e.g. doing past paper questions), then you should be alright.

Either way, whether or not a month is enough time is a moot point, because a month is what you have. You need to start now, and use your time wisely by focusing on your weakest areas, starting with the topics or question styles you lost the most marks on in your mocks.

Good luck!
Thank you!

My target grades are 7s for all subjects.

I don't know large chunks of the content for a lot of my subjects so is it best I make maps and flashcards on those using revision guides and videos for the remaining of the Easter holidays and next week and afterwards do 3 weeks of purely exam papers to strengthen my exam techniques and preparation?
TopLadGeezer
Rep:
?
(Original post by mimsyborogrove)
It's never too late to start revising; any revision is better than none. But more is also better than less. Why start tomorrow? What's wrong with today? If you keep telling yourself you're gonna start tomorrow, you aint gonna start. Just give yourself a kick up the ar** and get on with it x
Thank you for the motivation! I will definitely stop telling myself that I will revise tomorrow and I'm just going to bang on with the work.
TopLadGeezer
Rep:
?
(Original post by cgunter)
Nah you're fine. a month if hardcore revising is enough, english language you just watch mr Bruff, english lit learn the quotes , maths if you are doing alright now, I'm sure exam will be alright, french and comp sci study up, 5 is quite low, so just keep practising, I learnt all my computer science stuff in 3 weeks but was v difficult pulled out a 7 equilvalent one amrk off an 8, science is memory, read through your revision guides everyy night before bed. memory. Tbh it's all on memory so if youve got a good one its alright if not youre kinda screwed.
Thank you for your comment! I will definitely use and study with what you have recommended to me. My memory is in the middle I would say so I do need to make and read through notes and read the revision guides for my subjects for 1/2 weeks then get down to exam papers for the remaining weeks hopefully.
TopLadGeezer
Rep:
?
(Original post by sxhxl)
literally on the same boat as you except I want 7's in everything- which is going to be impossible w french lool
Yeah French is really hard for me lmao and I have the speaking exam the first day I get back to school
sxhxl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah French is really hard for me lmao and I have the speaking exam the first day I get back to school
how are you memorising it?
Doughnuts2002
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
😕 please can you tell us (me 🤣) how it goes just so I have some sort of idea when I do mine. Thanks!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TopLadGeezer
Rep:
?
(Original post by sxhxl)
how are you memorising it?
I'm going to start making cue cards for each topic with the English on one side and the French on the other side, hopefully it works...
TopLadGeezer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doughnuts2002)
😕 please can you tell us (me 🤣) how it goes just so I have some sort of idea when I do mine. Thanks!
Yes of course lol, I have mine on Wednesday for AQA Spec. However the teacher hasn't even specified if I'm doing higher or foundation yet which is really annoying me...
username3892588
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi! you have a month so make it count as much as you can! dont wait until you only have a week
iam in the same position as you... dont really have the motivation to start revising for the 9 subjects iam doing. i aim for similar results!
good luck!
TopLadGeezer
Rep:
?
(Original post by perryk22)
hi! you have a month so make it count as much as you can! dont wait until you only have a week
iam in the same position as you... dont really have the motivation to start revising for the 9 subjects iam doing. i aim for similar results!
good luck!
Hi! Thank you for the advice. Good luck to you too!
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you!

My target grades are 7s for all subjects.

I don't know large chunks of the content for a lot of my subjects so is it best I make maps and flashcards on those using revision guides and videos for the remaining of the Easter holidays and next week and afterwards do 3 weeks of purely exam papers to strengthen my exam techniques and preparation?
I would combine the two, i.e. spend a couple of hours learning the content for a particular topic followed by a couple of hours of exam questions on that topic, before moving on to the next one. Then once you've done that you can spend the rest of your time doing full papers.
wheresmunchkin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE ACHIEVING TOP GRADES IN ENGLISH, WILL YOU PLEASE HELP OUT BECAUSE I NEED HELP AND ID BE APPRECIATED, IVE TRIED LOTS OF THINGS TO IMPROVE MY GRADE 3 BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING AND MY ENGLISH LANG EXAM IS IN 56 DAYS, AND MY TARGET, BELIEVE IT OR NOT IS A 7
ps sorry for the caps, urgent help
rzee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
PLEASE TELL ME FOR HOW LONG YOU SHOULD SLEEP? BECAUSE IN THIS DIFFICULT SEASON SLEEP FEELS A BIT TIME CONSUMING..and some study tips and for how long you need to study per day and how many subjects per day? best time to study?? please answerrrrr.
wheresmunchkin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
everyone says mr bruff but i dont know how you use him, ive been using multiple resources and keep getting 3s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (7)
41.18%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (4)
23.53%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (2)
11.76%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (1)
5.88%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (3)
17.65%

Watched Threads