The Student Room Group

Help about placements!

If I get a 2:2 in first year for Psychology would it be difficult to do a placement year somewhere as many places will ask for a 2:1? I got a D*D in Business BTEC and a D in Psychology (terrible I know) for my A levels.
If a placement year during university isn't working out for me and I work hard to get a 2:1 at the end when I graduate and THEN look for a placement, would this be possible and better?

Thank you for your help!
??
Original post by Ihonestlydk
If I get a 2:2 in first year for Psychology would it be difficult to do a placement year somewhere as many places will ask for a 2:1? I got a D*D in Business BTEC and a D in Psychology (terrible I know) for my A levels.
If a placement year during university isn't working out for me and I work hard to get a 2:1 at the end when I graduate and THEN look for a placement, would this be possible and better?

Thank you for your help!

Much better to do a placement year during your degree rather than afterwards. Statistics show that you are much more likely to get a higher grade and a graduate job at the end.

The companies offering placements ask for your 'expected' grade, therefore you're fine to put that you expect to get a first. The company will not ask for proof of your first year grade on all but the very best placements. I did this and was successful in interviews (and offered placements) in M&S and a FTSE 100 company.
Original post by JosephPeter
Much better to do a placement year during your degree rather than afterwards. Statistics show that you are much more likely to get a higher grade and a graduate job at the end.

The companies offering placements ask for your 'expected' grade, therefore you're fine to put that you expect to get a first. The company will not ask for proof of your first year grade on all but the very best placements. I did this and was successful in interviews (and offered placements) in M&S and a FTSE 100 company.

But doesn't your personal tutors go through your CV or whatnot to check if all the information is accurate and if I put "expect a 2:1" they will disagree and say put your first year grade? Because Im at the university of Surrey and I got told that they go through your application with you?

Thank you for your help!

Hey @Ihonestlydk,

I think you'd be fine to put that you're expecting to achieve a 2:1. Keep in mind that while your tutor will offer advice, you will be the one who is actually submitting any applications to the employers you're hoping to do the placement with, so you've got final say on what's in it :smile: The only thing I'd say is don't outright lie about anything (eg saying you're an expert in Excel when you don't have a clue), because if you get caught out it will reflect badly on you. But don't be afraid to highlight your achievements and strengths :biggrin:

Good luck with your applications!

All the best,
Ashley
Original post by University of Surrey
Hey @Ihonestlydk,

I think you'd be fine to put that you're expecting to achieve a 2:1. Keep in mind that while your tutor will offer advice, you will be the one who is actually submitting any applications to the employers you're hoping to do the placement with, so you've got final say on what's in it :smile: The only thing I'd say is don't outright lie about anything (eg saying you're an expert in Excel when you don't have a clue), because if you get caught out it will reflect badly on you. But don't be afraid to highlight your achievements and strengths :biggrin:

Good luck with your applications!

All the best,
Ashley

Are you sure that saying expecting a 2:1 is allowed? I thought they want your first year grade for sure. Also regarding my A level grades I feel like it will put me at a disadvantage to find a place as they aren't as good? Despite the fact getting a D in Psychology while studying it...

Thank you.
Are you sure that saying expecting a 2:1 is allowed? I thought they want your first year grade for sure. Also regarding my A level grades I feel like it will put me at a disadvantage to find a place as they aren't as good? Despite the fact getting a D in Psychology while studying it...

Thank you.

Hi @Ihonestlydk,

So sorry about the delayed response - TSR accidentally locked our account and it's taken 3 weeks to get it sorted!

I think you'd be best setting an appointment with a careers adviser as they can talk you through the whole process and advise on what is acceptable or not. The quickest way to do this is to visit them in the Philip Marchant building (the same building that the Accommodation office is in).

All the best,
Ashley
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest