The Student Room Group

Vectors and Plane: Line reflected in the vector question

Given that

l1:r=(6i+2j2k)+λ(4i+5j1k) l_1: \mathbf{r} = (6\mathbf{i} + 2\mathbf{j} -2\mathbf{k}) + \lambda (4\mathbf{i}+5\mathbf{j} -1\mathbf{k})

and

Π:r.(2i1j+4k)=4 \displaystyle \Pi : \mathbf{r} . (2\mathbf{i} -1\mathbf{j} + 4\mathbf{k}) = 4

We are told that l1 l_1 is reflected in the plane π \displaystyle \pi

And that the reflected line is l2 l_2

work out l2 l_2

So I started by drawing a sketch which looked like this:

Capture.PNG

I worked out the value of A, and i got it as A=(2i8j) \mathbf{A} = (-2 \mathbf{i} -8 \mathbf{j})

Then I don't know what to do. I want to draw a perpendicular line through the plane, which would hit both l1 l_1 and l2 l_2 at equal distance from the plane, but still don't feel like that's enough to find C.

Because if I can work out C, and since I have A, I can then work out a vector formula for l2 l_2

How would I go about going from there?
Original post by RickHendricks
Given that

l1:r=(6i+2j2k)+λ(4i+5j1k) l_1: \mathbf{r} = (6\mathbf{i} + 2\mathbf{j} -2\mathbf{k}) + \lambda (4\mathbf{i}+5\mathbf{j} -1\mathbf{k})

and

Π:r.(2i1j+4k)=4 \displaystyle \Pi : \mathbf{r} . (2\mathbf{i} -1\mathbf{j} + 4\mathbf{k}) = 4

We are told that l1 l_1 is reflected in the plane π \displaystyle \pi

And that the reflected line is l2 l_2

work out l2 l_2

So I started by drawing a sketch which looked like this:

I worked out the value of A, and i got it as A=(2i8j) \mathbf{A} = (-2 \mathbf{i} -8 \mathbf{j})

Then I don't know what to do. I want to draw a perpendicular line through the plane, which would hit both l1 l_1 and l2 l_2 at equal distance from the plane, but still don't feel like that's enough to find C.

Because if I can work out C, and since I have A, I can then work out a vector formula for l2 l_2

How would I go about going from there?

You need 2 points to define a line. You got A, now you can take any point you want on 1\ell_1 and reflect it in the plane to get another.
Original post by RDKGames
You need 2 points to define a line. You got A, now you can take any point you want on 1\ell_1 and reflect it in the plane to get another.

How would i go about reflecting a point on a plane? I don't think I know how to do that...
How would i go about reflecting a point on a plane? I don't think I know how to do that...

Find the perpendicular vector from your point to the plane, and multiply it by 2, and add it onto your point.
(edited 6 years ago)
Find the perpendicular vector from your point to the plane, and multiply it by 2, and add it onto your point.

I let λ=1 \lambda=1 and I got another value on l1 \displaystyle l_1 .

This point I named B and I got it to be (10i+7j3k) (10\mathbf{i} + 7\mathbf{j} - 3\mathbf{k})

So I would have to reflect this value on the plane by working out the direction vector from A to B, which is AB, and I found AB.

What would I do on from here? Since u told me to find a perpendicular vector, I would need another vector since u have many perpendicular lines to a single line.
(edited 6 years ago)
I let λ=1 \lambda=1 and I got another value on l1 \displaystyle l_1 .

This point I named B and I got it to be (10i+7j3k) (10\mathbf{i} + 7\mathbf{j} - 3\mathbf{k})

So I would have to reflect this value on the plane by working out the direction vector from A to B, which is AB, and I found AB.

What would I do on from here? Since u told me to find a perpendicular vector, I would need another vector since u have many perpendicular lines to a single line.

Seems to me like you misunderstood, so I'll break it down in steps.

(a) You know the perpendicular vector to the plane, so you can construct a perpendicular line \ell to the plane through this point with a parameter tt.

(b) then determine for which value of tt this line intersects the plane.

(c) double this value of tt and substitute it back into \ell, this will yield the reflected point.
Seems to me like you misunderstood, so I'll break it down in steps.

(a) You know the perpendicular vector to the plane, so you can construct a perpendicular line \ell to the plane through this point with a parameter tt.

(b) then determine for which value of tt this line intersects the plane.

(c) double this value of tt and substitute it back into \ell, this will yield the reflected point.

Explain what you mean by (a)? I'm confused.
Explain what you mean by (a)? I'm confused.

Think about it. Two points which are reflected in a plane will lie on a line that is perpendicular to the plane. You can find the parametric equation of this line using your point (10,7,-3) and the perpendicular vector to the plane.
Think about it. Two points which are reflected in a plane will lie on a line that is perpendicular to the plane. You can find the parametric equation of this line using your point (10,7,-3) and the perpendicular vector to the plane.

I did all of that.

Here's my entire working out and the answer which I got at the end was incorrect:
Capture.PNG
I did all of that.

Here's my entire working out and the answer which I got at the end was incorrect:

Before I check it, what's the answer they give?

Capture.PNG

any mistakes?
any mistakes?

Their answer seems flawed to me, and yours is fine.
Their answer seems flawed to me, and yours is fine.

I'm not surprised.

Another one of their answer seems flawed as well.

Quick Reply

Latest