The Student Room Group

End the anti-Israel threads.

Over the past week, there's been a huge surge in everything anti-Israel on this website, which tbh sickens me and I'm sure everyone here has had enough of it. To start with, I think people forget why there was a Jewish state created in the first place. This goes back centuries, but reached its peak in the 1930s and 40s in Europe and the Middle East. Of course, the antisemitism in Europe has been well-documented. However, dig a bit deeper and you'll find years of oppression/genocide for the Yemenite Jews, the Jews of Saudi Arabia, Djibouti, Libya, Egypt, Eritrea and Morocco who were secretly transported in over 350 flights to the new state of Israel, a refuge for these Jews. The same can be said about the influx of Jews who have fleed Muslim-majority nations since to seek an end to their persecution. Of course, Israel has a very advanced military and may overreact to threats (although Hamas decides to design rockets instead of developing Palestine into a country with the billions in foreign aid he receives from the EU and the Arab League), but you have to remember that this is a nation of only 9 million people fending of literally every other country in the region (500 million people) that would rather see them dead. Some may say for Israel to give up its arms, but what then? You let all the frankly bloodthirsty neighbours in to slaughter them in a repeat of Shoah? Israel needs to exist, there are plenty of Muslim majority nations. But it is essential for the existence of Judaism that Israel is preserved, and that's all I'm saying :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Muslims have to face hate on here all the time. Get over it.
Original post by Anonymous

Ngl, but no they don't. This week has been pretty antisemitic imo
Antisemitism is a problem on TSR
Reply 4

Muslims usually don't receive hate, Islam is criticised because it's an idea, quite a bad one at that.
Reply 5
Wrong. They have to face criticism of their beliefs - a very different thing.
Likewise, Israelis who support the military occupation of Palestinian territories should have those beliefs criticised, as should people who support the use of indiscriminate attacks against Israeli civilians, and so on...

See how it works?
I'm sure that most people who have their strongly held beliefs criticised feel upset and victimised, but boo ****ing hoo, as Oscar Wilde said.
Reply 6
Original post by QE2
Wrong. They have to face criticism of their beliefs - a very different thing.
Likewise, Israelis who support the military occupation of Palestinian territories should have those beliefs criticised, as should people who support the use of indiscriminate attacks against Israeli civilians, and so on...

See how it works?

Yes: criticise belief of people, but not their actions.
The absurdity of political correctness.
Reply 7
Original post by admonit
Yes: criticise belief of people, but not their actions.
The absurdity of political correctness.
Who said not to criticise their actions?
Yes, criticise beliefs and actions, and even individuals based on their words and deeds - but do not criticise people in general simply because of cultural or political labels.

Don't criticise someone simply because they are Israeli, or a Muslim or white middle-class. Criticise them for what actually say or do. And criticise Israeli gov't, Islam and Tory policies all you like.
Original post by Anastasiades
Antisemitism is a problem on TSR

You're right. I find myself reporting anti-semitic posts more than any others here.

But that cannot be used as a pretext to disallow criticism of the Israeli government or IDF (for example), any more than the illegal occupation of Palestinian land disallows criticism of Fatah or Hamas.
k people forget why there was a Jewish state created in the first place...Israel needs to exist, there are plenty of Muslim majority nations. :smile:

Okay, fair enough on the first point, but the second one- you're missing something.

What about the Palestinians who are being teargassed, murdered and arrested, starving and harassed, who lived their for like 1000 years before the region was repopulated by the Jewish people? The Palestinians being treated in the same way that necessitated the creation of Israel in the first place? No wonder there is so much hatred.

Surely there is a peaceful solution, and you can see that Israel isn't exactly perfect either? I'm neutral, I see fault on both sides.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by slutty tracey!
Israel should end the illegal occupation of Palestine first!

Marry me
You're conflating anti-semitism with anti-zionism which are not the same thing. For example, it is within the realm of reason to express anti-zionist views without being anti-semitic.
Over the past week, there's been a huge surge in everything anti-Israel on this website, which tbh sickens me and I'm sure everyone here has had enough of it. To start with, I think people forget why there was a Jewish state created in the first place. This goes back centuries, but reached its peak in the 1930s and 40s in Europe and the Middle East. Of course, the antisemitism in Europe has been well-documented. However, dig a bit deeper and you'll find years of oppression/genocide for the Yemenite Jews, the Jews of Saudi Arabia, Djibouti, Libya, Egypt, Eritrea and Morocco who were secretly transported in over 350 flights to the new state of Israel, a refuge for these Jews. The same can be said about the influx of Jews who have fleed Muslim-majority nations since to seek an end to their persecution. Of course, Israel has a very advanced military and may overreact to threats (although Hamas decides to design rockets instead of developing Palestine into a country with the billions in foreign aid he receives from the EU and the Arab League), but you have to remember that this is a nation of only 9 million people fending of literally every other country in the region (500 million people) that would rather see them dead. Some may say for Israel to give up its arms, but what then? You let all the frankly bloodthirsty neighbours in to slaughter them in a repeat of Shoah? Israel needs to exist, there are plenty of Muslim majority nations. But it is essential for the existence of Judaism that Israel is preserved, and that's all I'm saying :smile:

Great to see another friend of Israel on here !

:five:
Original post by Snazzyzebra
Okay, fair enough on the first point, but the second one- you're missing something.

What about the Palestinians who are being teargassed, murdered and arrested, starving and harassed, who lived their for like 1000 years before the region was repopulated by the Jewish people? The Palestinians being treated in the same way that necessitated the creation of Israel in the first place? No wonder there is so much hatred.

Surely there is a peaceful solution, and you can see that Israel isn't exactly perfect either? I'm neutral, I see fault on both sides.

Maybe they should complain to their military government first. Hamas and his crew will explain that instead of investing in the people and the Palestinian land, he develops weapons and sticks his hand in the cash drawer. Palestine receives more than enough foreign aid to develop at a rapid pace, yet they repeatedly vote for corrupt governemnts. As for violence, would you just let another country repeatedly missile strike your country? Far more Palestinian rockets hit Israel than the other way around, and the 'protestors' attempt to cross international borders buy hurling rocks at border guards - what kind of response do you expect.
To start with, I think people forget why there was a Jewish state created in the first place.

You mean the rise of nationalist movements in Eastern and Central Europe which produced a Jewish equivalent, namely, Zionism?
Original post by Snazzyzebra

The Palestinians should really complain to their government about that. They receive millions in foreign aid, yet Hamas and his crew either pocket it or develop weapons to strike Israel. Far more Palestinian rockets have struck Israel than have ever hit Palestine. As for violence, there could be a simple solution in seeking peace, yet the Palestinians constantly reject any peace agreement and will not give up their arms. Yes, those protestors are teargassed as they are violating international borders and hurling rocks at border guards. What kind of response do you expect? Palestine receives more than enough to develop into a wealthy nation.
Original post by anarchism101
You mean the rise of nationalist movements in Eastern and Central Europe which produced a Jewish equivalent, namely, Zionism?

I don't think Zionism is quite the equivalent of the Holocaust
I'd just like to point out that Israel would not be attacked by 'literally every country in the region' - you may notice that Saudi Arabia and pretty much the entire Arab Gulf are on *extremely* good terms with America (despite the fact that we all know of their funding for terrorism) and so while that exists, Israel is pretty safe from a full on 10-against-1 type of attack.
I don't think Zionism is quite the equivalent of the Holocaust

I didn't say it was. When I referred to "nationalist movements in Eastern and Central Europe", I wasn't talking about Nazism, but the late 19th Century nationalist movement trying to build nation states out of the declining continental empires.
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
You're conflating anti-semitism with anti-zionism which are not the same thing. For example, it is within the realm of reason to express anti-zionist views without being anti-semitic.

Wanting to wipe Israel off the face of the earth isn't antisemitism? You realise Israel has the world's largest population of Jews and is the world's only Jewish state? Wanting to destroy Israel stems from the hatred of Jews

Quick Reply

Latest