Can I still take A-Level Photography, even if I didn't take it at GCSE?

Watch
Joel TJ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I really enjoy Photography and wish that I would have taken it at GCSE but I'm now too far into my GCSE's to take it now. I would like to take it at A-Level but I'm not sure if I would be able to.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I believe you can, Anon_98 might know more :yes:
Katiemick8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes I know plenty of people who took it without having even done Art gcse. Unless youre applying for an elite private photography college im sure they will. Honestly you have a free choice of Alevels as long as you have C or above in English and Maths (or the equivalent of C idk the new system)
Pink fizz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know some colleges ask for a portfolio of your work if you didn't take photography at gcse
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yep, as mentioned you can definitely do photography without having a gcse in the subject. However, *usually* the institution prefers you to have completed a gcse in any other art and design subject. So as long as you're currently doing something artsy then you should be absolutely fine. For me personally, an art background was an essential criteria. Double check on the future sixth form website as that is not always the case. They should have all the information of what's required in the course details.

I currently study photography at A level so if you would like any more information on how the subject works then feel free to tag/quote me.
Joel TJ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I currently take GCSE Graphics so hopefully that will be artsy enough
Kazzy14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what if you've done media studies and want to do photography a level but haven't done any other things such as art?
Kazzy14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anon_98)
Yep, as mentioned you can definitely do photography without having a gcse in the subject. However, *usually* the institution prefers you to have completed a gcse in any other art and design subject. So as long as you're currently doing something artsy then you should be absolutely fine. For me personally, an art background was an essential criteria. Double check on the future sixth form website as that is not always the case. They should have all the information of what's required in the course details.

I currently study photography at A level so if you would like any more information on how the subject works then feel free to tag/quote me.
Hi, i'm currently in year 10 and i'd like to do Photography A Level but my gcse's i'm doing are; media studies, performing arts btech, spanish and music. I was wondering if i could still do Photography A Level. Oh and also if you choose one A level the rest of your chosen courses have to be A Level?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (284)
56.69%
I don't have everything I need (217)
43.31%

Watched Threads