The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Does first year of uni count?

Does first year of university matter? Everyone keeps telling me different things and im confused. Im currently studying my first year in university and want to know that whether i get a pass (40%) or 2:1 (60%) or higher, does it count. Honestly im stressing about my exams and people are saying to me its not worth it.
Original post by Pinky018
Does first year of university matter? Everyone keeps telling me different things and im confused. Im currently studying my first year in university and want to know that whether i get a pass (40%) or 2:1 (60%) or higher, does it count. Honestly im stressing about my exams and people are saying to me its not worth it.

Have a look at your course handbook. That should explain whether your marks will count towards your final degree classification. They usually don’t or only count 10% or so.

Some summer placements/jobs will ask for your first year marks as part of their selection process.

It’s important to do your best regardless of whether it counts or not. But if it doesn’t count you can be less stressed and use it as a practice to find out how you do at university level. It can help you work out what you might need to work harder on next year.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
You have to pass first year (min. 40%) in order to progress into second year, but first year does not count to your overall grade. If you fail first year you'll have to resit modules in the summer or not return to second year.
Original post by DrawTheLine
You have to pass first year (min. 40%) in order to progress into second year, but first year does not count to your overall grade. If you fail first year you'll have to resit modules in the summer or not return to second year.

Some courses include first year marks in the degree classification calculation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending