The Student Room Group

Starting Uni September 2018 and worried!

Hi there, I was just wondering if any current or soon to be new uni students in this academic year can either reassure me, or sympathize with how I feel!

I've had 6 years away from studying and I'm classed as a 'mature student' even though I'm only 23! I have a son who is 3 so a lot of my studies were put on pause for a long time and I never actually considered Uni or further education until recently. I have an unconditional offer.

My worries are that due to anxiety and general awkwardness that I won't make any friends and I won't have the opportunity to really take part in freshers activities because I have parental responsibilities or because I have to be really careful with my finances as I live with my son in a rented property. (all financial aid etc has already been applied for).

I have DSA provisions in place for Mental Health and Mobility already and I'm also concerned that this is going to make it obvious that I need extra support and I don't want to 'stand out' too much if you know what I mean.

I'm also really worried about the assignments and general study of a higher level considering I've been 'out of the game' for quite a while now.

Can anybody lend any personal experience or reassurance?
Original post by hdelders
Hi there, I was just wondering if any current or soon to be new uni students in this academic year can either reassure me, or sympathize with how I feel!

I've had 6 years away from studying and I'm classed as a 'mature student' even though I'm only 23! I have a son who is 3 so a lot of my studies were put on pause for a long time and I never actually considered Uni or further education until recently. I have an unconditional offer.

My worries are that due to anxiety and general awkwardness that I won't make any friends and I won't have the opportunity to really take part in freshers activities because I have parental responsibilities or because I have to be really careful with my finances as I live with my son in a rented property. (all financial aid etc has already been applied for).

I have DSA provisions in place for Mental Health and Mobility already and I'm also concerned that this is going to make it obvious that I need extra support and I don't want to 'stand out' too much if you know what I mean.

I'm also really worried about the assignments and general study of a higher level considering I've been 'out of the game' for quite a while now.

There will be many other mature students in your situation so you certainly won't be alone. From the extra support side, the majority of students are mature about it, although my dyslexia and dyspraxia aren't massively visible, I'd get questions about having a laptop and dictaphone but they were all out of curiosity and wanting to understand more no one ever made any negative comments towards me. With assignments be sure to access any support your library has early on, they can help with lots of study skills and it's a learning curve for everyone but remember first year is about settling in and getting the basics right more than anything :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
There will be many other mature students in your situation so you certainly won't be alone. From the extra support side, the majority of students are mature about it, although my dyslexia and dyspraxia aren't massively visible, I'd get questions about having a laptop and dictaphone but they were all out of curiosity and wanting to understand more no one ever made any negative comments towards me. With assignments be sure to access any support your library has early on, they can help with lots of study skills and it's a learning curve for everyone but remember first year is about settling in and getting the basics right more than anything :smile:

I think my worries are that there will be that curiosity there and I don't fancy going through my life history, you know? I'm not as worried about the studying side of things as I am about the social side of things, I feel like the study will be manageable with all the support I will be getting I'm just worried about not making any friends because of not being able to go out all the time or not living in halls! :frown:
I think my worries are that there will be that curiosity there and I don't fancy going through my life history, you know? I'm not as worried about the studying side of things as I am about the social side of things, I feel like the study will be manageable with all the support I will be getting I'm just worried about not making any friends because of not being able to go out all the time or not living in halls! :frown:

You won't be the only commuting student , social media can help with staying connected with people and you can still do things between lectures.

Hi,

So a lot of the worries you have are really understandable, and I can understand where they are coming from.

Firstly, I will point out, I am not a mature student, however many of my friends are and they are similarly worried. Many universities do lots of different social events during the "Freshers" period, from the usual social gatherings, to those designed specifically for certain courses, international students, mature students and disabled students. Here at Reading I know we do lots of these events designed to really support those with your exact worries.
However it is also worth remembering that people come to University for a lot of different reasons, and frankly many people do not mind. Personally for me, it was career development, others for the social life, others for their love of learning and those who simply wanted to put off being an adult! For you these are likely to be different. But really it is unlikely to be a dividing factor in whether people are friends with you!

Secondly, disability. I myself have a number of conditions which I require support for. Although mostly invisible, I know that through advocating for yourself in the initial term, by speaking to the Uni's disability team and support networks to get the best and fullest support to help you succeed is one of the best things to do. And in terms of extra support, and being seen with it, remember that we all need support in some areas, for me it is having a laptop during examinations, and considerations made for my Style, others need rest breaks but really they are all things which we need to help us succeed the best that we can and be able to work on the same level as everyone else. I will admit, I have had a few looks, simply because I am very engaged, however I do this in spite of them, as they are so separate.

Finally, assignments, work and content. This one may sound silly, but It is to advocate, and simply ask for help. It is understandable that if you have been out of education for so long that sometimes things do go astray, so just ask. Many lectures are happy to answer questions, and help you understand, with many uni's also having additional study support in general areas, like essay style, maths and IT to allow each student to succeed to the best level they are able!

And given, this varies depending on the Uni, however I remember these general tips:
1) Don't underestimate the power of Hello - like anywhere, before lectures/seminars
2) If in doubt ask, ask friends, lectures, tutors or more. Someone can help!
3) Remember why you are at Uni, and remember your goals - as Uni is a personal journey.
4) You are not the first, nor the last to experience these worries, there will be help available.
5) Finally, make the most of it! However you see fit!

I hope this helps!

Tom :smile:
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by UniofReading
Hi,

So a lot of the worries you have are really understandable, and I can understand where they are coming from.

Firstly, I will point out, I am not a mature student, however many of my friends are and they are similarly worried. Many universities do lots of different social events during the "Freshers" period, from the usual social gatherings, to those designed specifically for certain courses, international students, mature students and disabled students. Here at Reading I know we do lots of these events designed to really support those with your exact worries.
However it is also worth remembering that people come to University for a lot of different reasons, and frankly many people do not mind. Personally for me, it was career development, others for the social life, others for their love of learning and those who simply wanted to put off being an adult! For you these are likely to be different. But really it is unlikely to be a dividing factor in whether people are friends with you!

Secondly, disability. I myself have a number of conditions which I require support for. Although mostly invisible, I know that through advocating for yourself in the initial term, by speaking to the Uni's disability team and support networks to get the best and fullest support to help you succeed is one of the best things to do. And in terms of extra support, and being seen with it, remember that we all need support in some areas, for me it is having a laptop during examinations, and considerations made for my Style, others need rest breaks but really they are all things which we need to help us succeed the best that we can and be able to work on the same level as everyone else. I will admit, I have had a few looks, simply because I am very engaged, however I do this in spite of them, as they are so separate.

Finally, assignments, work and content. This one may sound silly, but It is to advocate, and simply ask for help. It is understandable that if you have been out of education for so long that sometimes things do go astray, so just ask. Many lectures are happy to answer questions, and help you understand, with many uni's also having additional study support in general areas, like essay style, maths and IT to allow each student to succeed to the best level they are able!

And given, this varies depending on the Uni, however I remember these general tips:
1) Don't underestimate the power of Hello - like anywhere, before lectures/seminars
2) If in doubt ask, ask friends, lectures, tutors or more. Someone can help!
3) Remember why you are at Uni, and remember your goals - as Uni is a personal journey.
4) You are not the first, nor the last to experience these worries, there will be help available.
5) Finally, make the most of it! However you see fit!

I hope this helps!

Tom :smile:
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador

Thank you so much, this has really reassured me. I think mainly I am an overthinker and have struggled with anxiety so something that may seems so small to other people always feels magnified for me. I guess I won't know until September how I will feel but I just hope I am able to settle in quickly.
Buy the Book from David J Griffiths on Electrodynamics now (or get it from the internet + solution manual), read it slowly, make notes, look up the stuff you didn't understand and do as much exercises as possible. Don't worry if you don't get everything on first try, but when time comes you are already on your second read. This way you have much more time later and a good chance of passing the test on first try. And yes, you need to know the the whole book. Good luck!
Oh gosh I relate so much to what you've written. I am applying for DSA too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by GreenEJT
Oh gosh I relate so much to what you've written!

I'm 24, soon to be 25, im and have a 3 year old daughter. I have mental health conditions so am applying for DSA too.

Terrified! Here if ever you want to talk x

Literally in the EXACT same position! but I've just turned 23! It's so daunting! I'm worried about not really making many friends that I can go out with on the odd occasion because of not living in halls or anything! I just hope people on my course are nice!
Reply 9
honestly, 23 is not that old at uni at all. i'm 18 but most of my friends at uni right now are like 19/20, most people seem to be a bit older, and my best friend here is 22! i'm sure you'll be alright, it really isn't that much of an age gap :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending