kim3894
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was just wondering about my A-Level choices. I am considering to choose the following:
- Sociology
- Religious Studies
- History
- English Literature or Language (not 100% sure which one yet!)

The way the sixth form I am applying to works by you choosing four to study in Year 12, to then do one of the following in Year 13:
- Continue to study all four, or
- Drop one subject and do the EPQ instead (this is the one I will most likely do).

I was just wondering what people's thoughts on my subject combinations are? I am especially interested in anyone's opinion if I was to drop English and then just study RS, History and Sociology - would you say they are all too similar, and could be looked down on from by universities/employers? Obviously I understand that it is a good idea to have subjects complementing each other but it can also be seen in a negative way if they are too similar (I assume?)

Also, does anyone on here recommend English Literature? I'm looking at it but kind of disregarding Language because I've heard it can be a 'soft' subject (even though I feel all A Levels will be hard lol) so wondering what anyone's thoughts were?

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated
lewisli_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my opinion, I wouldn’t really worry about being looked down on by universities, pick what you enjoy and you can always swap subjects when you get into sixth form, do you have any idea of what you want to do in the future?
kim3894
Rep:
?
(Original post by lewisli_)
In my opinion, I wouldn’t really worry about being looked down on by universities, pick what you enjoy and you can always swap subjects when you get into sixth form, do you have any idea of what you want to do in the future?
Ok, thanks for your advice - I heard about swapping subjects at Sixth Form once you join. In the future I hope to get into Law; most likely as a solicitor.
fentydrug
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kim3894)
I was just wondering about my A-Level choices. I am considering to choose the following:
- Sociology
- Religious Studies
- History
- English Literature or Language (not 100% sure which one yet!)

The way the sixth form I am applying to works by you choosing four to study in Year 12, to then do one of the following in Year 13:
- Continue to study all four, or
- Drop one subject and do the EPQ instead (this is the one I will most likely do).

I was just wondering what people's thoughts on my subject combinations are? I am especially interested in anyone's opinion if I was to drop English and then just study RS, History and Sociology - would you say they are all too similar, and could be looked down on from by universities/employers? Obviously I understand that it is a good idea to have subjects complementing each other but it can also be seen in a negative way if they are too similar (I assume?)

Also, does anyone on here recommend English Literature? I'm looking at it but kind of disregarding Language because I've heard it can be a 'soft' subject (even though I feel all A Levels will be hard lol) so wondering what anyone's thoughts were?

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated
My friend does english language a level and they were studying something to do with scrips and they were watching Eastenders Lmaoo but id rather take English literature since it’s more popular and if u want to get into law it helps with essay writing I’ve heard
kim3894
Rep:
?
(Original post by fentydrug)
My friend does english language a level and they were studying something to do with scrips and they were watching Eastenders Lmaoo but id rather take English literature since it’s more popular and if u want to get into law it helps with essay writing I’ve heard
Ok thank you - yeah, I've heard that Law at uni has a lot of essay writing involved in it, and I would now agree with you that it provides many transferable skills to the course I wish to study. Plus, like you said, it's more popular and that could only be seen as a good thing

And watching Eastenders in your English Language A Level class?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise