The Student Room Group

I’m apparently overweight?

So I weighed myself today for the first time in a while and I’m 14.1 stone guy. I’m 25 years old and 6ft exactly. This, apparently, according to google and other places, casts me as being overweight? So here’s a little back story on me physically. I’m a tree surgeon, a very physically demanding job. I carry 20kg plus of equipment around all day everyday. Lift logs everyday. Haul myself up trees everyday. Walk up steep banks everyday wearing heavy protective clothing rain or shine. And I don’t stop. I don’t get tired I just work and do my job. Like if I was physically fit?... I’m a rugby player build. I have big shoulders, big arms, big forearms, big legs, big quads, big calves, big core. And you can see the muscle. I outperform most ‘fit’ guys at work. I don’t gym because my job is my gym. I don’t drink or smoke and I eat a relatively normal diet. Nothing stupid or unnesary or unhealthy or healthy, just an average diet. But I’m apparently overweight and it makes me feel anxious that maybe I’m looking at myself in a way others aren’t. Am I overweight if I am what I’ve just described?
You have an athletic build probably. Normal obesity indexes don't apply.

You're probably fine. I'm also overweight by the same standards.

Don't care. Certainly beats being a human chicken wing.
Overweight doesn’t necessarily mean unhealthy. Weights are just averages for your height.
Reply 3
Yeah I think being a half chicken is definitely the better compared to a chicken wing!
Original post by Chrisss94
So I weighed myself today for the first time in a while and I’m 14.1 stone guy. I’m 25 years old and 6ft exactly. This, apparently, according to google and other places, casts me as being overweight? So here’s a little back story on me physically. I’m a tree surgeon, a very physically demanding job. I carry 20kg plus of equipment around all day everyday. Lift logs everyday. Haul myself up trees everyday. Walk up steep banks everyday wearing heavy protective clothing rain or shine. And I don’t stop. I don’t get tired I just work and do my job. Like if I was physically fit?... I’m a rugby player build. I have big shoulders, big arms, big forearms, big legs, big quads, big calves, big core. And you can see the muscle. I outperform most ‘fit’ guys at work. I don’t gym because my job is my gym. I don’t drink or smoke and I eat a relatively normal diet. Nothing stupid or unnesary or unhealthy or healthy, just an average diet. But I’m apparently overweight and it makes me feel anxious that maybe I’m looking at myself in a way others aren’t. Am I overweight if I am what I’ve just described?

Nope you are fine. BMI for you is 26.6 at worst and 25.1 at best, so even by BMI you are only just into overweight.
BMI doesnt take into account muscle mass, which is denser that fat. Obviously muscle is good and you must have plenty. Juts look in the mirror and you can see if theres lots of fat or not. i bet not. Nothing to worry about. BMI is just a ready reckoner handy but once you get lean then body fat % is more reliable.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Nope you are fine. BMI for you is 26.6 at worst and 25.1 at best, so even by BMI you are only just into overweight.
BMI doesnt take into account muscle mass, which is denser that fat. Obviously muscle is good and you must have plenty. Juts look in the mirror and you can see if theres lots of fat or not. i bet not. Nothing to worry about. BMI is just a ready reckoner handy but once you get lean then body fat % is more reliable.

Thanks, definitely cleared that up for me!
Reply 6
What's your waist size ?
I get the feeling you're the type of guy to have a bit of fat covering their inner muscles. Nothing to worry about. You can easily shred if you want to and look like a beast later on if you feel like it (if what you've stated is not exaggerated).
I'm 16, body fat of around 15%, 85kg but every online calculator I go to will say I'm overweight and nearly obese. You say you have a muscular, rugby player build so an online calculator will mean jack sh*t.
Original post by Chrisss94

These weight charts are often criticised for failing to consider the difference between fat and muscle. Fat weighs more than muscle, but muscle still weighs something. Because it fails to differentiate the two, Man A who weighs 14 stone and goes to the gym constantly and is ripped will be obese, as will Man B of the same height who is quite rotund and fat.

It doesn't mean anything and really shouldn't be used as a guideline for things - people are different.

If you're doing the work as described, I don't anticipate you're like Man B because you'd find the job too physically demanding.
Original post by lizolove
These weight charts are often criticised for failing to consider the difference between fat and muscle. Fat weighs more than muscle, but muscle still weighs something. Because it fails to differentiate the two, Man A who weighs 14 stone and goes to the gym constantly and is ripped will be obese, as will Man B of the same height who is quite rotund and fat.

It doesn't mean anything and really shouldn't be used as a guideline for things - people are different.

If you're doing the work as described, I don't anticipate you're like Man B because you'd find the job too physically demanding.

I know this thread is inactive, but 1kg of fat is as heavy as 1kg of muscle. Muscle is actually more dense than fat, so per unit volume, muscle is heavier than fat.
Original post by sivthasan
I know this thread is inactive, but 1kg of fat is as heavy as 1kg of muscle. Muscle is actually more dense than fat, so per unit volume, muscle is heavier than fat.

Much like 1kg of lead is the same weight as 1kg of feathers - I seem to have phrased this poorly. I meant that more muscle goes into the same weight of fat.
I meant that the OP could be 14 stone of muscle and still be classed as overweight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending