The Student Room Group

Transgender athletes wishing to join the other gender competition?

thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

slightly unfair if a man turned women competes in womens sports where having male testosterone for like 18 years of their life is going to give them a competitive advantage.
if an athlete identifies as a woman then she is a woman & is entitled to take part in the women's events.

ditto for "identifies as a man"
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
if an athlete identifies as a woman then she is a woman & is entitled to take part in the women's events.

It's not fair to women though right?
Reply 4

So it would be ok for a "man" to beat the living daylights out of women in MMA or boxing, for example?

Original post by NotSoVisualBasic
slightly unfair if a man turned women competes in womens sports where having male testosterone for like 18 years of their life is going to give them a competitive advantage.

Its massively unfair.

Every transgender story I have heard of men competing in women's sports involves the "man" winning. fallon fox, caster semenya, laurel hubbard.

Hubbard is a weightlifter and his first attempt at the commonwealth games was 20kgs heavier than the next person. 20kgs.

20kgs is a lot when you are an advanced weightlifter.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by S-man10
So it would be ok for a "man" to beat the living daylights out of women in MMA or boxing, for example?

yes of course. we must all make sacrifices to ensure the rights of people to make independent gender decisions.
Original post by S-man10

Its massively unfair.

Every transgender story I have heard of men competing in women's sports involves the "man" winning. aidra fox, caster semenya, laurel hubbard.

Hubbard is a weightlifter and his first attempt at the commonwealth games was 20kgs heavier than the next person. 20kgs.

20kgs is a lot when you are an advanced weightlifter.

yeah, if you look at males sprint times against women sprint times theres a difference so why would a man not just say he's a women to get an easy gold medal. It is quite unfair. I have yet to see anyone on the news who iss a women turned man that ended up wining gold on a sport.
Reply 7
yes of course. we must all make sacrifices to ensure the rights of people to make independent gender decisions.

What exactly are we sacrificing and why?
Original post by donzie
It's not fair to women though right?

but all those taking part would be women ? so a woman is going to win :redface:
I always think that sport should be categorised by ability rather than gender
Original post by S-man10
What exactly are we sacrificing and why?
by allowing those who identify as women to participate in women's events we are sacrificing the discredited morphological model of gender assignment which has subjugated non-binary people for thousands of years.
Reply 11
this discussion has been had on TSR before

and No, it is not fair ....some of the transgender people [male to female] have gone on to DOMINATE their weight category when they've switched to womens sports ...and it really isn't fair on women who were actually born with a vagina if you ask me..............
Reply 12
Original post by NotSoVisualBasic
yeah, if you look at males sprint times against women sprint times theres a difference so why would a man not just say he's a women to get an easy gold medal. It is quite unfair. I have yet to see anyone on the news who iss a women turned man that ended up wining gold on a sport.

So you're suggesting that a man would become transgender just to get a gold? Or are you saying that he will claim he's a woman without any physical change whatsoever and compete like that?
by allowing those who identify as women to participate in women's events we are sacrificing the discredited morphological model of gender assignment which has subjugated non-binary people for thousands of years.

weren't non-binary organic matter subjugated for millions of years? Why are you saying thousands of years? Why are you assuming they are people? Are you transphobic?
Original post by crocodile_ears
I always think that sport should be categorised by ability rather than gender

Tell me a woman that compete in the mens and come in the top 3 places?

Low tier trolling.
But honestly, if it is man going into the female side then it clearly isn't fair. There is a reason performance enhancing drugs aren't allowed.
But if a women is going to male side then it wouldn't matter because they would be at a huge disadvantage from the get-go and probably wouldn't be competitive.
Reply 16

What exactly is the morphological model of gender assignment, and how is it discredited?
Original post by k.n.h.
So you're suggesting that a man would become transgender just to get a gold? Or are you saying that he will claim he's a woman without any physical change whatsoever and compete like that?

I'm saying why would a man not go through gender change to get a gold in something like the olympics, if the games weren't gendered males would dominate 90% of the games, because believe it or not male and female bodies are different so it's not going to be fair on born female competitors.
Reply 18
The Bear, you genuinely don't seem to see the extent of which testosterone can boost an athletes performance, especially in comparison to a Woman's natural testosterone versus someone who has been a man for eighteen years of their life. Why do you think testosterone in performance enhancing drugs is such a major scandal when competing in sports? My advice? Do a bit of research, sometimes, being politically correct and trying to equalise something does LITERALLY the polar opposite and put an unequal playing field for everyone taking part in a sport.
Original post by k.n.h.
What exactly is the morphological model of gender assignment, and how is it discredited?

in less enlightened times if you had a willy you were categorized as a "bloke"

if you had a foofoo you were categorized as a "chick".

thank goodness those days are behind us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending