The Student Room Group

Chemistry at university – what’s it all about? Ask the experts here

Ever wondered why leaves change colour in autumn? Why onions make you cry? How soap cleans? Why ice floats? These are all questions that can be answered by applying chemistry.

Chemistry is the stuff of life. It’s in everything from the food you eat to the clothes you wear! It’s an exciting subject and studying it will help you to understand the world around you. It’s understandable that you may have some questions about what you’ll learn on a chemistry course. So we thought it would be handy if we started a thread with one of our academics from the chemistry course team at Nottingham Trent University along with a current student who is studying BSc (Hons) Chemistry. They can help you with choosing the right chemistry course; tell you what they enjoy most about teaching or studying the subject and why they are passionate about chemistry.

Curious about studying chemistry but not sure what your options are or where it could take you career-wise? Post your question below.

Answering your questions will be:

Dr David Robinson - admissions tutor for Chemistry. David’s background is in theoretical chemistry, applying modern computational and simulation techniques to gain insight into complex molecular problems. In addition to his role as admissions tutor, David also teaches modules on the undergraduate course, ranging from theory of gases to applications of industrial chemistry.

Elizabeth Rusbridge third year BSc (Hons) Chemistry student. Elizabeth chose to study chemistry as she really enjoyed the subject at college. The modules offered on the course appealed to her as she liked the balance between coursework and exams as well as the opportunity to gain experience in analytical labs.

Post your question - David and Elizabeth are here to help you :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
To Elizabeth, what's the one thing you'd wish you had known during first year, that you know now about your degree?:curious:
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Ever wondered why leaves change colour in autumn? Why onions make you cry? How soap cleans? Why ice floats? These are all questions that can be answered by applying chemistry.

Chemistry is the stuff of life. It’s in everything from the food you eat to the clothes you wear! It’s an exciting subject and studying it will help you to understand the world around you. It’s understandable that you may have some questions about what you’ll learn on a chemistry course. So we thought it would be handy if we started a thread with one of our academics from the chemistry course team at Nottingham Trent University along with a current student who is studying BSc (Hons) Chemistry. They can help you with choosing the right chemistry course; tell you what they enjoy most about teaching or studying the subject and why they are passionate about chemistry.

Curious about studying chemistry but not sure what your options are or where it could take you career-wise? Post your question below.

Answering your questions will be:

Dr David Robinson - admissions tutor for Chemistry. David’s background is in theoretical chemistry, applying modern computational and simulation techniques to gain insight into complex molecular problems. In addition to his role as admissions tutor, David also teaches modules on the undergraduate course, ranging from theory of gases to applications of industrial chemistry.

Elizabeth Rusbridge third year BSc (Hons) Chemistry student. Elizabeth chose to study chemistry as she really enjoyed the subject at college. The modules offered on the course appealed to her as she liked the balance between coursework and exams as well as the opportunity to gain experience in analytical labs.

Post your question and David and Elizabeth will be online from 16 20 April to help you :smile:

Is there any chemistry-specific career advice available to students? (for both)

What's your favourite aspect of the course? (for both)

Do you have any idea what you want to move onto after your 3rd year ? (for E)

Spoiler

Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Spoiler

Hi CheesIsVeg!
We have our careers service embedded in the School of Science and Technology (of which Chemistry is a department). We can therefore offer chemistry specific careers advice, to which our alumni are always happy to help.
As for my favourite aspect of the course - I enjoy seeing students thrive in their third year projects, applying the knowledge they have accrued throughout their degree and as a result all of us learning new things about the subject!
Thanks,
David

(p.s. Chemistry is the best!)
Original post by 04MR17
To Elizabeth, what's the one thing you'd wish you had known during first year, that you know now about your degree?:curious:

Hi 04MR17!

Thank you for your question. This is a tough one for me! I would probably have to say that I wish I had known how quickly the three years of my course would go, in that university is an excellent chance to get involved in so many different things and meet so many people. Now that I'm in my final year, I definitely wish I had taken more of the opportunities given to me, as it is probably one of the few times I will have so many available. Academically, I have had the chance to learn so much and utilise this new knowledge within lab sessions. Here at NTU, you really do get a unique experience and I have to say that I wish I had taken more time to enjoy all these aspects of my course rather than be fully focused on completing my degree.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time and experiences here, both academically and with societies and activities I have undertaken, however, I definitely recommend taking time to enjoy the experience as a whole and take as many opportunites as you can to try new things; there are so many to choose from here and the three years have flown by!

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like :smile:

- Elizabeth
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Spoiler

Hello CheeseIsVeg!

Thank you for your questions. Career advice is available to students both specifically for Chemistry and help is general. We have a service, as David has mentioned, for Chemistry specifically, aswell as general careers advice. The employability centre is an excellent resource that I fully recommend utilising for any and all questions you might have regarding careers. Weekly emails are sent out to students in the form of a bulletin which details new and current experience and graduate programs available.

My favourite aspect of the course would definitely be the laboratory work! NTU is unique in what they offer during the lab sessions in terms of both facilities and practical aspects. I have especially enjoyed the labs that are part of my final year project; this has been a chance for me to use previous experience from the first two years and work independently, including planning experiments from scratch and completing safety checks, as well as perfoming the experiments and having the chance to research areas of the course that interest me the most.

Finally, I am hoping to complete a postgraduate research masters (MRes) course here at NTU and then potentially go on to complete a PhD. I have particularly enjoyed the research aspect of my final year and thus, I would like to take the additional masters year. This will be an opporunity for me to experience what a PhD will be like as its a step in between my undergraduate course and the PhD course, further allowing me to see what I enjoy and whether I would like to further my research education.

Feel free to ask any more questions that you might have!

- Elizabeth
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Feel free to ask as many questions as you like :smile:
Is this your typical sleep pattern?:tongue:
How is studying Chemistry related to medicine? Would it be a good idea to study Chemistry first and the do medicine as a graduate?
Original post by joyandpeace
How is studying Chemistry related to medicine? Would it be a good idea to study Chemistry first and the do medicine as a graduate?

Hi joyandpeace!
Chemistry is certainly an important part of medicine and the route you've described is certainly a way in, but that would require you to do a 3 (or 4) year Chemistry degree, followed by several years of a medicine degree. If medicine is your ultimate end goal, you should talk to an admissions tutor for Medicine and ask for their views.
I hope this helps! Feel free to ask further questions.
David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending