Study_Girl101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys,

I'm in year 9 and I am wanting to get a head start on GCSEs. We have already started the course for sciences and maths at school. I have some revision guides at home which I will probably be studying.

My options:
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English
Geography
RS
PE
German
AS Computer science (Yes we I am doing the AS course as we don't have a normal GCSE computing option).

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get ahead?
Here_comedatboi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
revision guides like cgp text-books
Study_Girl101
Rep:
?
I mean is it realistic if I try to cover every topic beforehand
I am an athlete so it is hard for me to find time to do homework and study during school terms. I thought if I briefly cover everything at home I would find it useful. But is it realistic? At least just for the sciences and maths?
help.me.revise
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
as someone in year 10 revising for end of years, i think the best way to give yourself a head start is to start making notes on any harder topics from year 9 that you know you might struggle with in a years time. Then, as you go through year 10 make your future self happy by pre-preparing notes, quizlets, whatever you want to do, and treat each tend of topic test like a gcse 'practice' to get into the swing of it. that way, when 2020 (i'm guessing that's when you'll take yours) rolls around you won't be in a huge rush to write up notes and you can just focus on learning it all. but there's no point in flipping through your maths book, learning some random year 11 topic and hoping that will help you because it won't, just keep on top of things you've already learnt/are learning rather than trying to skip too far ahead
acrylik
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by help.me.revise)
as someone in year 10 revising for end of years, i think the best way to give yourself a head start is to start making notes on any harder topics from year 9 that you know you might struggle with in a years time. Then, as you go through year 10 make your future self happy by pre-preparing notes, quizlets, whatever you want to do, and treat each tend of topic test like a gcse 'practice' to get into the swing of it. that way, when 2020 (i'm guessing that's when you'll take yours) rolls around you won't be in a huge rush to write up notes and you can just focus on learning it all. but there's no point in flipping through your maths book, learning some random year 11 topic and hoping that will help you because it won't, just keep on top of things you've already learnt/are learning rather than trying to skip too far ahead
as another year 10 who has recently done end of year exams I agree that just reading ahead in revision guides probably won't be the most helpful thing you can do because some topics build on others and need a good understanding of those, especially as you don't have much time, studying a little ahead will help but not too far like into year 11. Make sure to make really good notes, and even several times because then in later years you won't need to go back and re-do everything as much.
Spamelie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
make notes!!!!

especially for science and maths!
your notes and revision materials are your most valuable asset. Make sure you have documentation of everything you have studied that is clear and easy to revise from. It will make your life a million times easier!!!
Study_Girl101
Rep:
?
Thank you guys so much
Study_Girl101
Rep:
?
so
1. Keep revising everything learnt so far
2. Make good notes
right?
suf1.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
take it easy
ur only in yr9 lol when i was in yr9 i did absolutely jacksh;t loool
gomgossa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, as somebody who as completed their GCSEs as of last year I’m going to give you my advice, which may contradict what others have said. I would not suggest making notes at this point. The likelihood is that notes now will be made without fully understanding the topics or the exams and they will be useless to your year 11 self. If you make notes they should be to revise for your tests now but keep in mind that you will most likely lose these notes by the time year 11 comes round or make better notes during your GCSEs. Class work books are good to keep but anything else is surplus and will be unnecessary for you in 2 years.

Remember that lots of notes is not always useful !!! Imagine yourself during your GCSEs, being swamped with piles upon piles of random sheets from ages ago that you barely understand—- it will be only more stressful. I know because I’ve done it, and ended up throwing away everything that was not absolutely necessary for revision. Otherwise you will be unorganised.

What you SHOULD be doing now is revising for end of topic tests. Do this however you like, make flash cards etc. but do not except that the notes themselves will be useful in a year. The important thing is understanding the topics now and getting them into your brain !! Info stored in your brain cohesively is much much more useful than random bits here and there on sheets of paper.

Start making notes maybe for year 10 mocks but now it is far far too early. I began to make my FINAL notes a few months before the exams!

And remember to enjoy year 9!! This is before the stress begins
Study_Girl101
Rep:
?
Hi thanks,
That was actually really helpful. I thought by starting early I would reduce the stress. I totally collapse under stress and I have seen many yr 11s in my year crying in the corridor due to the pressure. I don't want that to be me...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (213)
53.12%
No (188)
46.88%

Watched Threads