acrylik
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am in year 10 and I am trying to figure out what to do and where to go for 6th form.

the options I am considering are the ib or 5/6 a levels
the reason is because I am a pretty well rounded student and I can't choose just 3 a levels. I have got mostly 7/8 in my recent exams but I can improve those grades by studying harder as I am a bit of a procrastinator

for ib I would take higher maths, chemistry and physics, standard German, English and art

for a level I would take maths, further maths, chemistry, psychology, probably art and maybe German too

I am doing all of these subjects at gcse, apart from psychology as it was not an option so I am doing geography but I don't think it is a subject I want to pursue

My maths teacher at school said for further maths a level you need normal maths too, and that the ib is not really the best for science/maths related courses at uni
and apparently having all higher maths/science subjects is the most difficult ib combination to take

I don't know which would be a better option but it is really hard to find a suitable ib sixth form as the ones nearer me don't do the right combination of subjects, ie not psychology or only standard maths

I know both of these options are a lot of work but I think I am prepared to handle it as I learn really well and I see no point in changing my options just because people think it is a difficult/challenging option

some options of courses I could take for uni - chemical engineering, maths (not with physics), psychological and behavioural sciences and architecture (hence the art)
I would really like to go to Cambridge or similar universities if that means anything
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
username3556062
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, not to put you down but 5/6 A levels(if you want to do well like A*) is extremely hard especially with the subjects you've chosen.
3/4 of your best subjects are what you should focus on at A level
username2396433
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're planning on doing that many subjects, choose the IB. A-Levels are much more focussed and considering most people will only be doing 3 (whereas you are considering 5-6), teachers will NOT lower the workload just for you. You will be too stressed.
I understand you're trying to keep your options open so I think that taking the IB would be better, as you don't seem like you really know where you wanna go or what you wanna do. It's the better choice of the two.

Having done both the IB and A-Levels - they're both really good. IB is just more practical for those that want to take a large variety of subjects and not focus on something immediately, A-Levels are especially good if you know exactly what you wanna do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.44%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.78%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.56%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.22%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.44%

Watched Threads