I don't know whether to go to university or not. Please help. Watch

LivLMiller
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm just really stuck, I have an unconditional offer to study accounting and finance at Canterbury Christ Church Uni, but I'm reluctant to accept it just yet. I don't think it's what I really want to do, it's always just been a 'Plan B' and I had always assumed I'd figure my 'Plan A' out in time. The thought of studying it for 3 years doesn't excite me whatsoever, and the thought of going down that career path feels even worse. It used to be what I really wanted, now I have no idea. The only advice I've received so far is 'just accept it' and change course once I'm there, although it doesn't feel right seeing as I still have no idea at all what I want. I don't want to commit to university and potentially waste years of my life and thousands of pounds for something I'm not going to pursue.
However, not accepting means I literally have no plans, and I'm scared that will just set me up to struggle in the future. At least with a degree I can have a decent job, even if I hate it.
Anyhow, I really don't know what do to and was hoping I wasn't the only one going through this right now. I'd love some help and advice, as it feels like I'm completely running out of time.
Thanks.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LivLMiller)
I'm just really stuck, I have an unconditional offer to study accounting and finance at Canterbury Christ Church Uni, but I'm reluctant to accept it just yet. I don't think it's what I really want to do, it's always just been a 'Plan B' and I had always assumed I'd figure my 'Plan A' out in time. The thought of studying it for 3 years doesn't excite me whatsoever, and the thought of going down that career path feels even worse. It used to be what I really wanted, now I have no idea. The only advice I've received so far is 'just accept it' and change course once I'm there, although it doesn't feel right seeing as I still have no idea at all what I want. I don't want to commit to university and potentially waste years of my life and thousands of pounds for something I'm not going to pursue.
However, not accepting means I literally have no plans, and I'm scared that will just set me up to struggle in the future. At least with a degree I can have a decent job, even if I hate it.
Anyhow, I really don't know what do to and was hoping I wasn't the only one going through this right now. I'd love some help and advice, as it feels like I'm completely running out of time.
Thanks.
If you're having so many doubts now then defer your place and then take some time to think about what you really do want to do or if you're unsure make a list of careers you don't like then look for the opposite.
katrina01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks.
I'd say accept coz whats the harm in that and if you really hate uni or figure out what to do you can always drop out. Coz from what you wrote it seems like you dont have a plan for next year if you dont go uni. You can always try out uni for a semester and drop out whenever youve figured out what to do
abhinair3004
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks.
(Original post by claireestelle)
If you're having so many doubts now then defer your place and then take some time to think about what you really do want to do or if you're unsure make a list of careers you don't like then look for the opposite.

That's the best advice you're gonna get. Take it!
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was in a similar position to you. I never had a plan A, so I went with plan B and did the sensible thing and went to uni. I hated it. And still hate it. I wish I hadn't gone. I've found that no matter how much I try and find distractions, that hatred of the course is looming over me. Only now I'm at the end of second year and the further through the degree you get, not only does it get harder and the pressure increases but it also feels harder to drop out because you've done so much of your degree.

That being said, I still haven't worked out plan A....

If you don't already know your plan A, you're probably not gonna work it out in one Summer tbh (Oh to be one of those people that decided they wanted to be a doctor when they were like 8 and stuck with that dream!). So maybe mull it over, think about your options and have uni to fall back on. You can always go in Autumn for a few weeks, try it out then leave. Listen to your gut. Don't write it off just because you think it's your plan B (don't go in with an 'I'm gonna hate this' mindset, keep an open mind) but also listen to your gut on whether it's right or wrong.

Three years isn't very long. But if you're very unhappy it can feel like an age, especially if you don't know what you want out of it or don't have an end goal.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
my bro went to ucl econ and dropped out after a day, took a gap year, and now he'll be doing mech eng at imperial.

i guess he had some time to reflect on his real interests, so a year out may be a good thing. try and get some work experience, speak to people, just spend the time wisely from now gathering intel.

a&f is boring as hell, i studied finance.. currently working in the finance industry, and whilst it pays the bills, it isn't what life is about.
Jasmine Topaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks.
You can get a good job without a degree but your ignorance is appalling.
redbull114
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks.
I don't know if you've gone done A-levels, an apprenticeship or BTEC level 3, but depending on the courses you've done, as long as you've got 5 GCSE's including Maths and English, you could find yourself a one year apprenticeship/traineeship and take time to think about your options while gaining money and a qualification. I am thinking of doing a short apprenticeship in London when I finish college next year (if I get one). Then moving on to university
RoseKatie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
I second this. Defer your place. Take some time to work out what you want. And keep in mind that if you do decide to do the course, and take a career in finance, things can change. You might want to do it forever and you also might not. Both are ok. Life is interchangeable. People can swap and change their career and their dreams many times throughout their lives. This is coming from someone who has worked in IT for 15 years and is now starting an Art History degree this year :-)

Take the time. Follow your heart. Remember that life is fluid and most importantly, good luck with whatever you decide.
roronoa1zoro
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
a&f is boring as hell, i studied finance.. currently working in the finance industry, and whilst it pays the bills, it isn't what life is about.
Real talk
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.65%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.36%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.43%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (118)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.46%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.83%