The Student Room Group

Career Prospects MRes after MSc?? PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello, I need some good career advice from someone who has done either an MRes or MSc and or a PhD student as I want to figure out what my next move is.

Here is some background:

I graduated from Lancaster University with a 2.2 BSc Biochemistry now I know what you are thinking my life is over but I actually got few 2.1s in my 1st, 2nd and 3rd year modules and I got B+ and B in my dissertation module respectively. But I had some family issues in my 3rd year and did not revise as much as I could have i.e. didnt use my potential

In the end i got 2.2 in half of my modules and my overall mark for my degree was around 57%, very close an 2.1 :'(.

I started my MSc in Regenerative Medicine at Queen Mary University of London and got a merit and I received a distinction in my research project.

I am currently job hunting to get a entry level research post but it seems difficult.

MY QUESTION: I want to do an MRes in Vision Biology at UCL do you think they will take a 2.2 + merit MSc application, would they ask me why i want to a MRes?

Thank you for listening.
Original post by Nauman_KHAN
Hello, I need some good career advice from someone who has done either an MRes or MSc and or a PhD student as I want to figure out what my next move is.

Here is some background:

I graduated from Lancaster University with a 2.2 BSc Biochemistry now I know what you are thinking my life is over but I actually got few 2.1s in my 1st, 2nd and 3rd year modules and I got B+ and B in my dissertation module respectively. But I had some family issues in my 3rd year and did not revise as much as I could have i.e. didnt use my potential

In the end i got 2.2 in half of my modules and my overall mark for my degree was around 57%, very close an 2.1 :'(.

I started my MSc in Regenerative Medicine at Queen Mary University of London and got a merit and I received a distinction in my research project.

I am currently job hunting to get a entry level research post but it seems difficult.

MY QUESTION: I want to do an MRes in Vision Biology at UCL do you think they will take a 2.2 + merit MSc application, would they ask me why i want to a MRes?

Thank you for listening.

Yes they will want to know why you want to do a second masters and no it won't really help with getting a job because at the end of the day your entire education history will have to be declared and it will be obvious that you are jumping from one degree to the next. Getting a job in research is difficult so I would suggest keeping at it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Yes they will want to know why you want to s=do a second masters and no it won't really help with getting a job because at the end of the day your entire education history will have to be declared and it will be obvious that you are jumping from one degree to the next. Getting a job in research is difficult so I would suggest keeping at it.

Thank you but I will try my best. I want to an MRes in vision biology as I want to gain research experience in my field. I would like to go into the field of stem cells for eye diseases. what you think.

Here is some background:

Thank you for listening.

You should be able to apply for doctorates, though it may be unfunded. Most jobs in research are doctorate-level entry and if you are the resident in the UK/can find funding for a doctorate it is probably much easier to get a job afterwards.

While an MRes is meant to be to make you more competitive for doctorates, it is rather uncommon to do one after an MSc and it alone may not help you much with job prospects.
(edited 6 years ago)
Getting endless bits of paper wont help you get a job - you are just another fresh new graduate with no relevant work experience.

And having a PhD actually makes is harder to get any sort of job as you are viewed as an academic by general employers, and there will never be enough Uni academic obs for all those being churned out with Doctorates. Research Assistant posts are equally hard to get as there are so many well qualified people going for each job. I have a PhD - but my knowledge is so niche, its effectively unusable outside academia and I am now working in a (very fulfilling) non-research role.

You need to start at the very bottom - get a basic job and build upwards from there. Its hard work but most people manage it eventually.
Do not just sit there waiting for a 'fantastic research job' to happen. Get ANY sort of job - or relevant voluntary work - and keep looking.
Thank you but I will try my best. I want to an MRes in vision biology as I want to gain research experience in my field. I would like to go into the field of stem cells for eye diseases. what you think.

Not sure what more you want me to say. Repeating what’s in your OP is not going to change my and others’ advice above unfortunately. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending