Loci Pi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello
I have my GCSE French Speaking on the 23rd of April but I could do with some tips on how to stop stressing during the exam.
Last week (during the holidays) we had French intervention at school and did a speaking mock. I had a panic attack in the exam and everything went blurry and I hyperventilated and my face and arms went numb. I had to leave the exam after answering the 1st bullet point on the role-play because my vision went blurry and I couldn't read the rest of the bullet points because of it.
I ended up getting 2/15, which is the worst I've ever got on a test. It's not that I didn't know it; on my last speaking mock in December I got 10/15 I think (speaking is my worst exam).
I'm really concerned that it will happen again in the real exam. If it does will I get disqualified or recorded during it? That would be terrible lol. I have been doing lots of revision and practice for it, but the though of having another panic attack worries me. Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting.
My general conversation topic is Social Issues and the Environment by the way.

Does anybody have any good tips to stay calm and relaxed in the exam? Or is anybody else in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance, and good luck if you also have your speaking exam
Fazzy_77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, my speaking exam is on the 25th of April and I'm super nervous too. I usually do quite well in them but because I'm one of the quiet kids at school, I hate speaking with a passion. I get really anxious but somehow I get through it. I normally just try to focus on my breathing if I feel like I'm going to get panicky. If you make sure that you're very well-prepared it should calm your nerves a bit. Good luck
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fazzy_77)
Hey, my speaking exam is on the 25th of April and I'm super nervous too. I usually do quite well in them but because I'm one of the quiet kids at school, I hate speaking with a passion. I get really anxious but somehow I get through it. I normally just try to focus on my breathing if I feel like I'm going to get panicky. If you make sure that you're very well-prepared it should calm your nerves a bit. Good luck
Lol I'm one of the quiet kids too I will probably spend a few minutes at the end of my preparation time taking deep breaths so I feel calmer going into the exam. Thanks for your advice, and good luck.
Fazzy_77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Loci Pi)
Lol I'm one of the quiet kids too I will probably spend a few minutes at the end of my preparation time taking deep breaths so I feel calmer going into the exam. Thanks for your advice, and good luck.
prsom. And thanks x
whateverisaround
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey mines also on the 23rd and I have a final mock on the 17th. In terms of the general conversation i know you said you’ve been told your theme and therefore does that mean you won’t get any questions in the general conversation on another them . As at my school for each theme we’ve had to select a topic within there of what we’d like it to be on . However he said he can not guarantee it . Also I’ve seen some students at other schools having the actual questions they’re going to be asked like 6 or 7 and they can prepare specifically for them.
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by whateverisaround)
Hey mines also on the 23rd and I have a final mock on the 17th. In terms of the general conversation i know you said you’ve been told your theme and therefore does that mean you won’t get any questions in the general conversation on another them . As at my school for each theme we’ve had to select a topic within there of what we’d like it to be on . However he said he can not guarantee it . Also I’ve seen some students at other schools having the actual questions they’re going to be asked like 6 or 7 and they can prepare specifically for them.
We were prepared some answers in class that we could use for lots of different questions, but we weren't given the actual questions. The answers that could be applied to lots of questions were stuff like 'how do you help save the environment?' and 'what is your opinion on recycling' and stuff. The questions might be in past, future, or conditional, though I guess.

Good luck on your exam
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
Sorry for bringing this thread back up again, but if I have a panic attack in the speaking exam or the preparation time will I be allowed be disqualified? They can't record me if I'm hyperventilating or something can they? It normally lasts around 10-15 minutes so will they just wait until I've calmed down a bit if it happens or will they just tell me I can't do it because I missed my time slot?

Thanks everyone
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
Please answer my question I'm worrying so much right now
AnnaHud
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey - So I know exactly how you feel.. I'm properly the most nervous speaker ever and I die under pressure but I have a few tips that sometimes help me:

- remember that even if you get a bad grade on youre speaking dosent mean you fail, youre grade will be averaged out with the 3 other exams so if you feel youre speaking went bad then work harder for the others.
- remember that someone will probs do worse than you and no one will judge you if you mess up here or there
- you arent supposed to be at a native speaker level so if you dont understand try using the phrase "pouvez-vous répéter la question s'il vous plaît" (can you please repeat the question)
- Take deep breaths to slow youre heart so you relax more
- and lastly who the hell needs french anyway )) haha kidding... kinda

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnnaHud)
Hey - So I know exactly how you feel.. I'm properly the most nervous speaker ever and I die under pressure but I have a few tips that sometimes help me:

- remember that even if you get a bad grade on youre speaking dosent mean you fail, youre grade will be averaged out with the 3 other exams so if you feel youre speaking went bad then work harder for the others.
- remember that someone will probs do worse than you and no one will judge you if you mess up here or there
- you arent supposed to be at a native speaker level so if you dont understand try using the phrase "pouvez-vous répéter la question s'il vous plaît" (can you please repeat the question)
- Take deep breaths to slow youre heart so you relax more
- and lastly who the hell needs french anyway )) haha kidding... kinda

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great
Thank you so much I don't need French for my sixth form offer but I just don't wanna humiliate myself haha.

Good luck on your speaking exam
Saintofthehill
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry for bringing this thread back up again, but if I have a panic attack in the speaking exam or the preparation time will I be allowed be disqualified? They can't record me if I'm hyperventilating or something can they? It normally lasts around 10-15 minutes so will they just wait until I've calmed down a bit if it happens or will they just tell me I can't do it because I missed my time slot?

Thanks everyone
That's not a question many of us can answer, I'm afraid. Most schools would allow you to sit the exam once the panic attack, but I think that it's to the school's discretion. Best thing to do would be to ask your French teacher when you go back, which I'm guessing is tomorrow, right?
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saintofthehill)
That's not a question many of us can answer, I'm afraid. Most schools would allow you to sit the exam once the panic attack, but I think that it's to the school's discretion. Best thing to do would be to ask your French teacher when you go back, which I'm guessing is tomorrow, right?
Thank you, I will ask my teacher in Tuesday's lesson because I don't have French tomorrow. The exam board might have a policy or something.

Good luck in the speaking
Saintofthehill
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, I will ask my teacher in Tuesday's lesson because I don't have French tomorrow. The exam board might have a policy or something.

Good luck in the speaking
Thanks!

Speak to your teacher, or even your HOY. They may know. If not, the exam coordinator at school can contact the exam board and ask on your behalf.
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saintofthehill)
Thanks!

Speak to your teacher, or even your HOY. They may know. If not, the exam coordinator at school can contact the exam board and ask on your behalf.
Thank you My teacher already knows but hasn't contacted the exam board yet as far as I'm aware. I will ask my teacher if they know what will happen, in next lesson.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (13)
7.1%
They've been reasonable (76)
41.53%
Not feeling great... (47)
25.68%
They are TERRIBLE! (47)
25.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise