The Student Room Group

Teachers mark you lower due to target grade...

I am just wondering, but do any of you feel like you get marked down than what you have actually done (in the mocks specifically), due to your target grade which may be lower than you actual ability?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't quite understand what you're entirely saying? Could you explain a little?
Teachers mark relative to the mark scheme not your target grade?
Defo!
I think teacher are extra harsh on you during mocks hence why everyone does crap in them. Its good in a sense that it drives ya forward to work harder. In general for mocks they give specimen papers that only rhe school has access to as they are password protected... and specimen papers are harder versions of the real thing.

I remember my english teach would grade me Cs and Bs for english (and i was in the top class aswell... i thought she disliked me because everyone else got A* amd As) but come to the real thing i got As ... so i guess she was a harsh marker
For specimen papers the grade boundaries are high/normal like old past papers

Eg. 75% and above is a A/A*
60% and above is a B
52% is a C

Etc.

But in these NEW spec gcses and A levels the grade boundaries DROP soooo low since everyone does crap in them

Like in old a level papers a A grade was like 70% .... but come to my new spec alevels i got an A in biology with 54%
Reply 4
Original post by Ratchet Hoe
I am just wondering, but do any of you feel like you get marked down that what you have actually done (in the mocks specifically), due to your target grade which may be lower than you actual ability?

I sometimes felt like I wasn't challenged enough because my target grade is below my ability. It is harder to get help for the higher level stuff if teachers think you are already reaching your target grade. I am targeted grade 4-5s in everything (because my grades from primary school were low due having co-ordination difficulties that made me slower at writing), but I overcame that once I started secondary school and am now getting some grade 7-9s. Luckily, I have had the same teachers for the last 3 years so they now understand that my target is low compared to my ability. I don't think a teacher has ever gave me a lower grade because of my target though. If you feel that your grade should've been higher I would ask your teacher about it. Just remember that in your real GCSEs the examiner won't know your target grade so you don't have to worry about it then :smile:
I am just wondering, but do any of you feel like you get marked down that what you have actually done (in the mocks specifically), due to your target grade which may be lower than you actual ability?

This happens alot. If secondary school taught me anything, it was aim high, work hard and don't listen to a word your teachers say (the rubbish teachers anyway).
Reply 6
Yes! I thought I was the only one...I also have poor handwriting so I feel they just look at it and can't be bothered to properly mark it.
I think its a good thing because it motivates you to work harder :smile:
Original post by AzureCeleste
I don't quite understand what you're entirely saying? Could you explain a little?
Teachers mark relative to the mark scheme not your target grade?

For example, if you had a target of a 4 and you have been getting 6’s or even 7’s in your lessons when they have been checked and then in a practice text like a mock, you get a 5, eventhough you have revised prior and have been revising furthermore
Omg yes!!! I relate!!!!!
Well no. If something is correct, they will mark it correct.
For example, if you had a target of a 4 and you have been getting 6’s or even 7’s in your lessons when they have been checked and then in a practice text like a mock, you get a 5, eventhough you have revised prior and have been revising furthermore

How are you getting marked down then?
It probably just means the mocks are harder
How are you getting marked down then?
It probably just means the mocks are harder

Well in my English mock, they put the grade boundary up by 5% (I think). I got a 6 on paper 1 and a 4 on paper 2 when I finished that paper (the older mock I did, I didn’t finish paper 2 on time). Overall, I got a 5 in both of them, but even if the grade boundary wasn’t risen, I would’ve still got a 5. Also, I noticed that many people got the same grade that the got last time. 😬
No they don’t. You get what you put in.
Reply 14
I dont know about other schools but teachers in my school marked my mocks very harshly but I think its to make most students work harder, usually why people get about 1 or 2 grades than their mock scores.
Well in my English mock, they put the grade boundary up by 5% (I think). I got a 6 on paper 1 and a 4 on paper 2 when I finished that paper (the older mock I did, I didn’t finish paper 2 on time). Overall, I got a 5 in both of them, but even if the grade boundary wasn’t risen, I would’ve still got a 5. Also, I noticed that many people got the same grade that the got last time. 😬

They put the grade boundary up, normally relative to how your school did overall. Occasionally higher to help push you
They put the grade boundary up, normally relative to how your school did overall. Occasionally higher to help push you

I know they just put it up for the sake of it though because that is what will possibly happen in the real exams when we compete with other schools, so I believe they were doing that to make us get the real feel of things.
It's not even to motivate people, it's often because schools are now assessed based on progress, rather than actual attainment so what this means is if everyone was to do badly in their mocks and of course exceed their horrific mock grades in the summer, surprise surprise! What a school for turning around a dumb bunch of pupils!

Source; I was very close to one of my teachers who admitted it (as i went to her to discuss why my grade was a C in the system despite getting an A* in the mock we did)
I think teacher can’t mark it due to target grade as my target grade are all 4s and now they are 6s I think it’s due to how much work you put in to get the grade
I personally think they just mark it like a real examiner, not too harsh or too leniently

Quick Reply

Latest