The Student Room Group

Oxford MLF vs Cambridge MCL (Postgrad)

Hello!
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
How would you choose between the MSc in Law and Finance (MLF) at Oxford and the Master of Corporate Law (MCL) at Cambridge?

Is it true that Oxford is preferred when it comes to the general perception that Oxford is known for its private law, whereas Cambridge is known for its public/international law?

Also, MLF students will study 1-2 BCL electives, that's another attraction.

As for MCL, after all, it's a Master of Law degree rather than a master of science degree.

As far as my career goal is concerned, I wish to practice as a solicitor after graduation from MLF or MCL. I’m fortunate enough not needing to file job applications while pursuing the master’s degree.

Thanksss!!!:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SimonBaker
Hello!
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
How would you choose between the MSc in Law and Finance (MLF) at Oxford and the Master of Corporate Law (MCL) at Cambridge?

Is it true that Oxford is preferred when it comes to the general perception that Oxford is known for its private law, whereas Cambridge is known for its public/international law?

Also, MLF students will study 1-2 BCL electives, that's another attraction.

As for MCL, after all, it's a Master of Law degree rather than a master of science degree.

Thanksss!!!:smile:

I did the LLM at Cambridge. I did consider the MCL when I was applying but I was put off by the difference in price, so instead I opted for all commercial/corporate electives for me LLM. I did meet MCL students in my lectures and I can share a few observations, although these may already be obvious to you. Hopefully, someone else can talk about MLF and relative prestige.

The MCL intake is very small in comparison to the LLM and that meant they became very close as a group. I believe most, if not all, had careers beforehand especially in law, perhaps in overseas jurisdictions - and they were a relatively older demographic of students.

All the MCL students I met were in the process of applying for, or had already secured, training contracts. I can see the MCL being useful if you fall into those categories because of its practical focus. That's especially true of the deals course, which gets you working on a mock transaction. I believe the coordinators also arrange a number of law firm networking events.

In addition to the deals course, MCL students complete more courses (in short-form) and therefore have more exams throughout the year.

I think the MCL is good if you’re keen on a very practical course and a small intake. If the fees weren’t an issue, I may have opted for the MCL instead. Looking back on it, I've not convinced it would have been better for me.
(edited 6 years ago)
For all of my classes, I had one lecture and one workshop. The lectures were your typical university-style lectures that included everyone taking that module (ranged from 50-200+ students).

The workshops involved small group teaching. You'd sign yourself up on a piece of paper with the time that suited you best until it filled up. I liked these a lot, they were very interactive and based on a small number of questions - often hypothetical scenarios. I'd say a workshop had about 10-15 people on average. At most, a very popular workshop had about 25 - though you could always find a time slot with far fewer. Compare that to the less popular corporate insolvency where we once had three people in a workshop.
Some law people were quite keen on the social events but generally it was on the basis of college. We didn't have that many contact hours so most of the week we were back over there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your replies, much appreciated!

As far as my career goal is concerned, I wish to practice as a solicitor after graduation from MLF or MCL. I’m fortunate enough not needing to file job applications while pursuing the master’s degree. (This para is added to my first post)

The Deals Course in MCL is met by the course Law and Economics of Corporate Transactions (LECT) at MLF.

I am inclined towards the MLF because it’s going to teach me Finance knowledge, but at the same time I thought, “shouldn’t I be good at what I do? My bread and butter - LAW? Then I should study MCL to brush up my CORPORATE LAW.”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending