The Student Room Group

How far is 20 metres for driving test?

I can just see over 20 metres. Is 20 metres equivalent to 5 parked cars or 28 steps?
I don’t want to get glasses but I’m scared on the driving test they will test me from a far distance like 28m. Help
Reply 1
Visit an optometrist to check your eyes. If you don't want to wear your glasses don't wear them, wear them only for driving.
I usually manage well without glasses or with undercorrection, but I can't imagine driving with anything that corrects less than 20/30 (even when the law allows 20/40), the difference on the road is huge. Even if you can legally drive without glasses and you still can improve your vision wearing glasses for driving I'd recommend that, especially when you are a new driver.
Reply 2
Original post by Mickey976
I can just see over 20 metres. Is 20 metres equivalent to 5 parked cars or 28 steps?
I don’t want to get glasses but I’m scared on the driving test they will test me from a far distance like 28m. Help

20m is 20m. Cars and steps are different lengths so aren't an accurate measure. If you want a different way of measuring it I would take a stride and measure how far that was. That way you know how to work out approximate distance based on your own strides. It still won't be 100% accurate, but it can give you a good idea. My brother's strides are literally twice as far as mine which is why is important to measure your own rather than going by some stranger saying my strides are 12cm or 5m and going by that.

As far as your eyes go, I suggest you get a test done. If it does turn out you have some issues with your eyesight and are suggested glasses you can just use them for driving. Having glasses doesn't mean you have to wear them all the time, but when it comes to driving it's safer for you and everybody else if your sight is the best it can be. And it may be that your eyesight is totally fine in which case you get peace of mind.
Reply 3
I passed my practical test today. The lady tested the number plate very close like maybe 3.5 cars away and I got only 6 minors.
Reply 4
get contact lenses
Just wear glasses. You seriously have no idea how lucky you are. I'd love to be able to drive, let alone see 20 metres.
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
Just wear glasses. You seriously have no idea how lucky you are. I'd love to be able to drive, let alone see 20 metres.

Have you not passed?

Just get an eye test
Reply 8
I passed my practical test today. The lady tested the number plate very close like maybe 3.5 cars away and I got only 6 minors.

Congrats :smile:
You might still like to consider an eye test if you feel like your vision isn't perfect. You don't have to wear glasses even if they suggest it, but it's nice to know at least.
Reply 9
Original post by Kindred
Congrats :smile:
You might still like to consider an eye test if you feel like your vision isn't perfect. You don't have to wear glasses even if they suggest it, but it's nice to know at least.

Although I meet the legal eyesight rule for driving. I am going to get my eyes checked as I am will be driving a lot from now on.
Reply 10
When u go for the practical test it won’t be exactly 20 meters, they will find the most appropriate number plate and ask u to read but it won’t be that far as the instructors need to find a plate that they can read quickly as well
Well done for passing your test, but you should have your sight tested every two years whether you think you need glasses or not, as the tests they do can also pick up certain tumours, so it could actually turn out to save your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending