The Student Room Group

AQA 3.1.5 Kinetics

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions about the kinetics topic (with a quick sneaky one about 3.1.9 Rate Equations)...

Do we need to know specific examples of reactions that involve catalysts? They are given in the textbook but the spec doesn't talk about specific examples. I've pasted the spec below:

3.1.5.5 Catalysts
Content Opportunities for skills development
A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a
chemical reaction without being changed in chemical
composition or amount.
Catalysts work by providing an alternative reaction route of
lower activation energy.
Students should be able to use a Maxwell–Boltzmann
distribution to help explain how a catalyst increases the rate
of a reaction involving a gas.

If you've seen any past paper questions that need you to know about specific examples can you please post them below?

Also, does anyone know of any good videos out there that explain the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution curve? The textbooks don't go into enough detail to help me understand them.

Last but not least, will exam papers have the rearranged formula for K=Ae -Ea/RT (the one with natural logarithms)

Also I've made PDF files of the spec for the A-Level papers if anyone wants them :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
There are some specific catalysts you need to know of in organic chem and also in the haber process I think, I can't remember them off the top of my head. Generally all the questions I've done tend to guide you into the rearranged formula.
I don't know of any specific videos but E Rintoul on YouTube has loads of aqa chem videos on all the topics and all the ones I've watched have been great.
hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest