The Student Room Group

what happens at a subject masterclass?

i’ve got an english masterclass at cambridge tomorrow, but i forgot and made other plans, so i’m debating whether to go or not.
i was just wondering what kind of things there would be at a cambridge english masterclass. if it is just course information about doing english at cambridge then i’m not interested, but if it includes something good to talk about at interview then i’ll probably go.
I went to a masterclass for music and assuming the masterclasses are similar there were some sample lectures, a tour of the department, and an admissions talk. I found it good to get to see the campus and experience what lectures would be like, but the admissions talk was mostly a Q&A (but most of the answers you could find on the website). But I found it worth going to, I'd say especially if you haven't been before and aren't sure about the course it's a great opportunity to see if it's for you. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Rose_Aria
I went to a masterclass for music and assuming the masterclasses are similar there were some sample lectures, a tour of the department, and an admissions talk. I found it good to get to see the campus and experience what lectures would be like, but the admissions talk was mostly a Q&A (but most of the answers you could find on the website). But I found it worth going to, I'd say especially if you haven't been before and aren't sure about the course it's a great opportunity to see if it's for you. Hope this helps! :smile:

thanks so much for the quick response!
usually i would be all for an opportunity like this, however i’ve already been on 2 residentials to cambridge - the last of which i had a lecture from an english lecturer at trinity, followed by an admissions talk, therefore i don’t know if it’s worth it?
but i’m still so torn because i paid for it haha!
Reply 3
Original post by je_nnas
i’ve got an english masterclass at cambridge tomorrow, but i forgot and made other plans, so i’m debating whether to go or not.
i was just wondering what kind of things there would be at a cambridge english masterclass. if it is just course information about doing english at cambridge then i’m not interested, but if it includes something good to talk about at interview then i’ll probably go.

Masterclasses aren't provided to give applicants something to talk about at interview. Not least because the majority of candidates can't attend them.

Do these things because you are curious about the subject and interested in Cambridge. Not for any other reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
Masterclasses aren't provided to give applicants something to talk about at interview. Not least because the majority of candidates can't attend them.

Do these things because you are curious about the subject and interested in Cambridge. Not for any other reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I think I worded myself badly in the original post. What I meant by ‘something to talk about at interview’ was more of a question of does the masterclass provide you with questions to think about, suggested books to read etc rather than saying ‘i went to a masterclass’ to look good - is there more than I can take away from the masterclass than just having an understanding of what the course is like at Cambridge?
Original post by je_nnas
Sorry, I think I worded myself badly in the original post. What I meant by ‘something to talk about at interview’ was more of a question of does the masterclass provide you with questions to think about, suggested books to read etc rather than saying ‘i went to a masterclass’ to look good - is there more than I can take away from the masterclass than just having an understanding of what the course is like at Cambridge?

...no, that would be ridiculously elitist lol

'Hey all you rich kids who can afford to come to a masterclass! We're Cambridge University, and we're going to tell you what to read and think about in order to pass your Cambridge University interview! Woo'

Weirdly considering I study English at Cam, I didn't go to the English masterclass - I went to MML and HSPS instead. They were really interesting: you go to lectures held by actual faculty members, which I assume are pulled straight from Part I; and sometimes you get a Q&A with them too, or maybe a tour round the faculty. Obviously, there's info contained within these lectures which could be useful to you for interview prep (e.g. if you find one of the lectures interesting and pursue its topic further in your own time so you can talk about it at interview), but they're never going to sit you down and tell you what to read and research. Imo it's worth going :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending