Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kalabamboo)
How is the answer D?
Name:  36.PNG
Views: 46
Size:  128.8 KB
Statement 1 states that the sap contains mainly glucose w/ other assimilates: it actually contains sucrose, as any synthesised glucose is formed into sucrose and the main output of the Calvin Cycle for most generic plants is in fact sucrose (remember that it builds up carbon-based molecules, and in general sucrose is the one of preference)

Statement 2 is true enough, as the companion cells do actively onload sugars/etc.

Statement 3 is total hogwash, at least for most plants.

Statement 4 is true: the sugars reduce the osmotic potential, and water flows in via osmosis down a water potential gradient.
Kalabamboo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Callicious)
Statement 1 states that the sap contains mainly glucose w/ other assimilates: it actually contains sucrose, as any synthesised glucose is formed into sucrose and the main output of the Calvin Cycle for most generic plants is in fact sucrose (remember that it builds up carbon-based molecules, and in general sucrose is the one of preference)

Statement 2 is true enough, as the companion cells do actively onload sugars/etc.

Statement 3 is total hogwash, at least for most plants.

Statement 4 is true: the sugars reduce the osmotic potential, and water flows in via osmosis down a water potential gradient.
Thanks a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads