The Student Room Group

2018 start. single mum on benefits.

Hello,
I am due to start uni in Sept 2018 and I currently work part time and I'm also a lone parent to 1 child in a housing association house. I'm in receipt of benefits (housing benefits, working+child tax credits and council tax reduction) just wanted to know if anyone was in a similar position as me to help me have an idea of what would change?

I was planning on working part time (15hours) still, but I feel I'd potentially lose benefits if they take maintenance loans into account too?

Many tia.
Original post by Msk_roy88
Hello,
I am due to start uni in Sept 2018 and I currently work part time and I'm also a lone parent to 1 child in a housing association house. I'm in receipt of benefits (housing benefits, working+child tax credits and council tax reduction) just wanted to know if anyone was in a similar position as me to help me have an idea of what would change?

I was planning on working part time (15hours) still, but I feel I'd potentially lose benefits if they take maintenance loans into account too?

Many tia.

Hi Tia,
Benefits for students depend on your personal circumstances such as your income and any savings you may have. Your benefits may stop if the income you get through student finance is too high.

The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits. Most full-time students can't claim income related benefits but you may be able to claim if you are a single parent.Students who are eligible to receive State Benefits are eligible for an increased amount of Maintenance Loan.

You will receive your regular Maintenance Loan along with the Special Support Element.

The Notification of Entitlement letter will show how much of your entitlement is the Special Support element, which the Benefits Office will not take that into account.

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from,

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators.
Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending