Linley_97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I have placement year down in London and I'm really stressing about where to live. I'm going to be working in Westminster so very central, I'm moving from Yorkshire so definitely not an option to commute.

No idea what to do or where to look for housing. Would I be eligible for anything like private student accommodation like Unite? Definitely want to be house sharing as well as I'm not going to know anyone down there!

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Linley_97)
Hi guys,

I have placement year down in London and I'm really stressing about where to live. I'm going to be working in Westminster so very central, I'm moving from Yorkshire so definitely not an option to commute.

No idea what to do or where to look for housing. Would I be eligible for anything like private student accommodation like Unite? Definitely want to be house sharing as well as I'm not going to know anyone down there!

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
You should be eligible for private halls, though its best to check with the providers directly. Do bare in mind that most in London are very expensive though as they are aimed at rich international students. Alternatively you could look for a room in a flatshare/househare on spareroom.co.uk here:
https://www.spareroom.co.uk/

Bare in mind that it might be too early to look just yet for July/August/September, the normal time to look in London is a month or two before you want to move.
NattWilt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've been looking into unite, I personally don't think its an affordable option, due to the lack of student finance and being paid monthly rather than 3 block payments. Unite expect you to rent two rooms, one short stay from June until september then another room in another building from september to June. I'm also doing a placement in london and the cheapest and most convenient option is actually private shared housing. but you'd have to look for this a month before you go, which i'm personally not looking forward to.
username2756828
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NattWilt)
I've been looking into unite, I personally don't think its an affordable option, due to the lack of student finance and being paid monthly rather than 3 block payments. Unite expect you to rent two rooms, one short stay from June until september then another room in another building from september to June. I'm also doing a placement in london and the cheapest and most convenient option is actually private shared housing. but you'd have to look for this a month before you go, which i'm personally not looking forward to.
I just booked my accom with unite (I'm also a placement student) and they sorted out a monthly payment plan for me, so it is possible if you ask!
cbrblife
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have a look on Campusboard, was recommended it a while back when I was doing a placement in London and it was such a helpful website for finding a place. Thought I'd pass on the wisdom!
nicole1000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did you manage to find anywhere by any chance? I’m moving from Newcastle for uni and I’m a huge fan of all the Accommodations I’ve seen at the minute!
negin1347
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have an ensuite in Urbanest Westminster bridge which is a student accommodation, I won't be there from June-September so if anyone wants to take over my tenancy let me know, because at the moment all the flats are full so the only way you can get a place at a student accomdation is if you take over someone else's contract. It costs 289 pounds per week, it also includes a gym, pool, sauna, study area, common area with arcade games, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (196)
57.65%
I don't have everything I need (144)
42.35%

Watched Threads