The Student Room Group

I hate school so much (yr 8)

In primary school I had the best class ever, everyone was so kind and I had so many close friends - including one friend that I have been friends with since I was 3 and 10 years later I still am. I then started secondary school - I knew no one and for the first two months of school, I was sick nearly everyday and stressed out. I had friends, but they were kind of friends which I had formed so that I didn't have to go to lessons alone. At the end of year 7 I had a really good friendship group and was happy (not as much as primary though). There was someone in my class who had been excluded from a friendship group and I don't like seeing people sad or left out so I befriended her so that she had someone to be with. I feel as though this friendship made me drift away from my really good friends and I was left with this one person who I wanted to help - I did like her though. For some reason at the beginning of year 8 she started being nasty to me and started trying to annoy me ( I aassumed). I had just turned vegan and I felt like she was trying to talk about meat a lot, although obviously I didn't know for sure. About a week after I started noticing her doing this, someone from my class revealed that this 'friend' had said to her that she was trying to annoy me and talk about meat a lot, including saying to me ''after that video you showed me of that cow getting killed, I've enjoyed beef even more'', obviously being an active vegan I'm going to get these things, but it's just an example of her being horrible. Anyway since October I've had no friends in school and I dread school. I absolutely hate lunch times, because I sit like a loner and when we go in groups in class its really awkward when I have no one to go to. I have lots of friends out of school and even friends abroad which are young filmmakers (My passion is filmmaking). I just find school so depressing and can't see how I'm going to carry on like this for another 5 years. I loved school in primary, but now I hate school and I don't know whether to home school or move schools. Please Help, I'm so sad. Another thing to mention is my new school is only for girls and I was closest friends with the boys until year 5+ where I enjoyed talking equally with boys and girls. I feel like not having any friendships has also impacted me academically.
Honestly, that change it attitude from that girl is strange. Do you have any idea what might have causes this other you becoming vegan? I, for one, would never be able to become vegan but that doesn’t justify that behaviour. If you’re feeling bold you could always flat out ask why they’re suddenly being nasty to you.

I wish that I could do something to help but really all I can say is grit your teeth and bare it for the next 5 years or until something brightens up. I’m in Year 11 and haven’t had a close friend since Year 6 and I feel much more free than I did back then and prefer it but I guess everyone reacts differently.

I’m willing to talk if you when you down or anything, although I normally end up making the situations worse...
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you're finding secondary school tough. In many ways I can relate to your situation (Year 8 was also my worst year socially and I went through a bad period with most of my friends being outside of school). However, things did get much better for me and I'm sure they will for you too. It is so important to have people you can hang out with because your social life can (as you said) impact you academically and without one it's hard to really enjoy school. Perhaps try to go back with your old group of friends from year 7, as you were happy with them and it's not like you're a stranger trying to get in to their group as you were already in before. However, from what you've told me about this over girl who is being mean to you, you just don't need that and there is no point in having that negative and toxic friendship. I don't know if your school does this as well, but in year 9 we all had new classes and lesson sets, so it was much easier to make friends with people in your new class as not many people knew each other that well already. I met my best friend in my new lesson set because we just really got along and became fast friends. If your school does that, then it's a really good opportunity to meet people you hadn't before. However, I've also found that it's easier to make new friends in clubs and extra curricular activities. If there is a filmmaking club, then definitely join it as you'll find people who enjoy what you enjoy. Even just trying a new club may seem scary at first it could really help you, especially if it requires you to interact with the other members as that gives you an excuse to get to know each other. In general, try to be friendly with everyone, even if they aren't in your friendship group, because it's good to have people to talk to if you need to. Even the people next to you in class, try to make conversation with them because it is better to feel comfortable with someone than awkward with them. Try to be confident with new people but at the same time don't try to be someone your not because people can tell and it feels so much better to just be yourself. If you're slightly shyer in person, then social media, like instagram and snapchat (what ever is popular where you are) can be useful as you can talk outside of school and sometimes it can be less stressful and feel easier than face to face. I'd say at the moment, try to get back in with your old friends, even if you know you don't want to be with them for the next five years because that's probably easier than making new friends and you said you were happy with them before so that would be great. Of course try to make new friends (and maybe go to clubs and stuff) and if later you'd prefer to hang out with them then you can but at the moment it's important to have someone to spent lunchtime because it's going to be much easier and feel much better than being by yourself. Good luck, I know it can be scary but I believe that eventually things do work out
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you're finding secondary school tough. In many ways I can relate to your situation (Year 8 was also my worst year socially and I went through a bad period with most of my friends being outside of school). However, things did get much better for me and I'm sure they will for you too. It is so important to have people you can hang out with because your social life can (as you said) impact you academically and without one it's hard to really enjoy school. Perhaps try to go back with your old group of friends from year 7, as you were happy with them and it's not like you're a stranger trying to get in to their group as you were already in before. However, from what you've told me about this over girl who is being mean to you, you just don't need that and there is no point in having that negative and toxic friendship. I don't know if your school does this as well, but in year 9 we all had new classes and lesson sets, so it was much easier to make friends with people in your new class as not many people knew each other that well already. I met my best friend in my new lesson set because we just really got along and became fast friends. If your school does that, then it's a really good opportunity to meet people you hadn't before. However, I've also found that it's easier to make new friends in clubs and extra curricular activities. If there is a filmmaking club, then definitely join it as you'll find people who enjoy what you enjoy. Even just trying a new club may seem scary at first it could really help you, especially if it requires you to interact with the other members as that gives you an excuse to get to know each other. In general, try to be friendly with everyone, even if they aren't in your friendship group, because it's good to have people to talk to if you need to. Even the people next to you in class, try to make conversation with them because it is better to feel comfortable with someone than awkward with them. Try to be confident with new people but at the same time don't try to be someone your not because people can tell and it feels so much better to just be yourself. If you're slightly shyer in person, then social media, like instagram and snapchat (what ever is popular where you are) can be useful as you can talk outside of school and sometimes it can be less stressful and feel easier than face to face. I'd say at the moment, try to get back in with your old friends, even if you know you don't want to be with them for the next five years because that's probably easier than making new friends and you said you were happy with them before so that would be great. Of course try to make new friends (and maybe go to clubs and stuff) and if later you'd prefer to hang out with them then you can but at the moment it's important to have someone to spent lunchtime because it's going to be much easier and feel much better than being by yourself. Good luck, I know it can be scary but I believe that eventually things do work out

Dedication right there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending