The Student Room Group

What people think about on their death bed

Lots of people die every day (obviously and it's the only thing we can all agree on) but I've noticed wealthy and famous people who are dying come to realize having money and the pursuit of gaining money to be of no eternal value.

The bible says

Matthew 16:26 Living Bible (TLB)
26 What profit is there if you gain the whole world—and lose eternal life? What can be compared with the value of eternal life?

Its worth a thought....

Scroll to see replies

A lot of people take happiness knowing that they're leaving their families with a nice sum of money so they can die knowing that their families are financially okay.
They're usually delirious and don't know what is going on.

Nature's little last gift.
Reply 3
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
A lot of people take happiness knowing that they're leaving their families with a nice sum of money so they can die knowing that their families are financially okay.

I agree to a certain extent, and also wealthy people can do a lot of good with their money too so while they are alive that can bring happiness.

But in regards to death and eternity, you can't take your money with you, it's only an earthly currency not a heavenly one.
Moose. India.

Only real Gs get my reference
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety

But before that stage, when they're still compos mentis.

(By the way that could be by the grace of God because knowing exactly when you're dying can't be that easy)
Reply 6
My aul fella always says 'no pockets in shrouds, lad'.

I can accept that people want to be comfortable and want their family to be comfortable upon their death, but I don't think I've ever thought that money does bring any sort of transcendental value to your life. I'm not really sure many people do think that, ultimately.
Original post by Racoon
But before that stage, when they're still compos mentis.

(By the way that could be by the grace of God because knowing exactly when you're dying can't be that easy)

There's quite a long period in which they're out of it. By death bed, you mean the bed they're in proximate to their death. It is not simply that the bed is the one they die or are dying in.

I don't think "death bed" really covers someone 4 months prior to their death popping off to the bank to give their money to the RSPCA, thereafter returning to their bed which they've had for 30 years. No, sir; it must be proximate.

If you do mean this non-death bed bed, then I have to say the question doesn't interest me.
Reply 8

Aye when my Nan died a couple of years ago, she was seeing allsorts around her bed, including her Dad, my (long dead) granddad, and some of her mates that had died. Nice in a way, I hope mine's like that. I read something the other month that said recent research suggested it might be the brain's coping mechanism because it is aware of its own demise even if 'you' are not. Interesting.
Regret.

Pretty sure some studies found it was the top thing.
Reply 10
Original post by yudothis
Regret.

Too much time at work, not being honest with people, not enough time with kids etc. I saw something similar actually, though I can't recall precise details.
Reply 11
Original post by yudothis
Regret.

I wonder what type of regrets? I doubt making more money or spending more time at work were up there. I would guess things like regretting not enjoying life more would feature.
Original post by gjd800
Aye when my Nan died a couple of years ago, she was seeing allsorts around her bed, including her Dad, my (long dead) granddad, and some of her mates that had died. Nice in a way, I hope mine's like that. I read something the other month that said recent research suggested it might be the brain's coping mechanism because it is aware of its own demise even if 'you' are not. Interesting.

That might be a good point, re coping mechanism. I know that people who've come out of these delirious states, usually from stuff like sepsis, say they cannot remember a single thing. It really is nature's "gas and air" to make the tumult a little more endurable.
Reply 14
That might be a good point, re coping mechanism. I know that people who've come out of these delirious states, usually from stuff like sepsis, say they cannot remember a single thing. It really is nature's "gas and air" to make the tumult a little more endurable.

Yeah, definitely. A small blessing.
I'm sure I'd be wondering if I left the iron on and regretting not shagging Penelope Pitstop when she offered. Wait, that last one doesn't sound right. Lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
I'm sure I'd be wondering if I left the iron on and regretting not shagging Penelope Pit stop when she offered. Wait, that last one doesn't sound right. Lol.

you meant Muttley, no ?

:holmes:
Original post by the bear
you meant Muttley, no ?

:holmes:

:smug:

"When you are a Bear of very little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and other people are looking at it."

Perhaps you ought to see Eeyore now? :h:
Original post by uberteknik
:smug:

"When you are a Bear of very little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and other people are looking at it."

Perhaps you ought to see Eeyore now? :h:

he has been suspended :teehee:
Original post by the bear
he has been suspended :teehee:

Crikey. What happened? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending