The Student Room Group

Are bursaries likely to change for 2019-2020 entry?

Short: Are bursaries likely to change for 2019-2020 entry, or are they going to stay the same for a few years? Would they warn us about any upcoming changes or would they just release the new figures in September 2018?

Long:
A lot of the PGCE bursaries for Secondary were put up this year due to (I suppose) the need to train new teachers. The bursary for my subject in increased by 6k. It's not the reason I'm doing a PGCE, it just happened to be done the same year I decided to apply - I didn't even know about the bursary until my application was half done.

Now I've been quite excited to start this September, but I'm having a few doubts at the moment. I've had one of out my three interviews, and I think I messed it up, being that it was my first interview and I was a little unprepared and nervous. But that was the university I really wanted to go to, because of the location and several features of the course that really cater to my professional interests.

I'm still going to do my best for my next two interviews and consider going to the universities, but if it turns out that my first choice really was the best opportunity and I messed it up, I'm considering cancelling my application for this year and reapplying for 2019-2020 entry.

However, I do have to factor the bursary in. If bursaries are going to go down drastically next year (perhaps because of a flood of new teacher trainees? I don't know how effective the bursary incentive has been for the year) or are scrapped, I think I would rather just do the PGCE at a less ideal university this year and keep the money. I've kind of married the idea that I'm gong to have that money to help me while doing my PGCE and I would be pretty sore if I had to let it go.
The bursaries are unlikely to go down. You didn't say which subject you are applying for. We are desperately trying to hire science teachers and are an outstanding school so don't fret.

Also, don't fret too much about your interviews. They are not looking for the finished product, just someone who has potential. As for university - be a little careful. You won't be based at university. You will likely be based at a school up to 90 minutes commute from where you are living so location is less important than other factors.

Good luck!
Original post by vrv
Short: Are bursaries likely to change for 2019-2020 entry, or are they going to stay the same for a few years? Would they warn us about any upcoming changes or would they just release the new figures in September 2018?

Long:
A lot of the PGCE bursaries for Secondary were put up this year due to (I suppose) the need to train new teachers. The bursary for my subject in increased by 6k. It's not the reason I'm doing a PGCE, it just happened to be done the same year I decided to apply - I didn't even know about the bursary until my application was half done.

Now I've been quite excited to start this September, but I'm having a few doubts at the moment. I've had one of out my three interviews, and I think I messed it up, being that it was my first interview and I was a little unprepared and nervous. But that was the university I really wanted to go to, because of the location and several features of the course that really cater to my professional interests.

I'm still going to do my best for my next two interviews and consider going to the universities, but if it turns out that my first choice really was the best opportunity and I messed it up, I'm considering cancelling my application for this year and reapplying for 2019-2020 entry.

However, I do have to factor the bursary in. If bursaries are going to go down drastically next year (perhaps because of a flood of new teacher trainees? I don't know how effective the bursary incentive has been for the year) or are scrapped, I think I would rather just do the PGCE at a less ideal university this year and keep the money. I've kind of married the idea that I'm gong to have that money to help me while doing my PGCE and I would be pretty sore if I had to let it go.

I think bursaries are unlikely to go down- recruitment is still down this year, and I think some (e.g. English) might even go up.

The government is aware there's a recruitment crisis in teaching, and the bursaries are one way of saying "look we're doing something". However, I do wonder if at some stage the bursaries might come with more strings attached (e.g. a requirement to teach in UK state schools for X years)
Original post by vrv

Long:

Bursary amounts are revised every year. You cannot predict what they will be in advance. There is unlikely to be a flood of new trainees. The recruitment target has been missed every year for many years.
You should see how your other interviews go! I was pretty certain I wanted to go to the local university until I went to visit my now chosen university which is about an hour away from my house and just felt a bit more at home and they had a couple of course differences (which interested me) that I didn't know about as the structure isn't particularly clear on the website.

Also, if you've not heard a no yet, it can't have been as bad as you thought it was! I'm sure they'd get all the definite no's out the way first to then choose between the rest.
Reply 5
Original post by ByEeek
The bursaries are unlikely to go down. You didn't say which subject you are applying for. We are desperately trying to hire science teachers and are an outstanding school so don't fret.

Also, don't fret too much about your interviews. They are not looking for the finished product, just someone who has potential. As for university - be a little careful. You won't be based at university. You will likely be based at a school up to 90 minutes commute from where you are living so location is less important than other factors.

Good luck!

English. I know science teachers will be in need for a long time yet, given all the higher-paying jobs in the science field. However, when it comes to English I imagine a lot of English graduates will turn to teacher training... so I'm worried they might respond to the oversubscription by lowering the bursary.

Thanks, I'm so worried though. I didn't say half the things I wanted to and I was so nervous :frown: I feel like I came across as a bit useless or skittish and if I could do it again tomorrow I would be fine but god knows how I actually came across in the interview

I'm aware that I wont be based at the university, but my first choice of uni will allow me to take up a long tenancy and live in one place for the year while commuting to schools and classes. My other choices will require me to move accommodation multiple times as the placement schools are spread out. So I'm really hoping to get in this one.

Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think bursaries are unlikely to go down- recruitment is still down this year, and I think some (e.g. English) might even go up.

The government is aware there's a recruitment crisis in teaching, and the bursaries are one way of saying "look we're doing something". However, I do wonder if at some stage the bursaries might come with more strings attached (e.g. a requirement to teach in UK state schools for X years)

Why do you think English will go up? Do you think anything is likely to change for next year?

Original post by airfixfighter
You should see how your other interviews go! I was pretty certain I wanted to go to the local university until I went to visit my now chosen university which is about an hour away from my house and just felt a bit more at home and they had a couple of course differences (which interested me) that I didn't know about as the structure isn't particularly clear on the website.

Also, if you've not heard a no yet, it can't have been as bad as you thought it was! I'm sure they'd get all the definite no's out the way first to then choose between the rest.

Definitely, I haven't got my mind completely settled on one until I've finished with all the interviews. I just think this one has specific opportunities that I'm not likely to get at the other two courses - I would be surprised if they had similar or ones or offered anything more suited to me.

There were only a small number of places left and a week more of interviews to go - I think there is exactly twice as many applicants as spaces left. So while I'm certain I'm not a definite no, if half the people did really well then I'm out :frown: if half of them are not really suited then I will get in. I think there was one person in my group that was a bit shaky when it came to knowledge and experience that I might have trumped in those areas at least, but I can't say I was any better than the rest :frown:

oh such worries
Original post by vrv
English. I know science teachers will be in need for a long time yet, given all the higher-paying jobs in the science field. However, when it comes to English I imagine a lot of English graduates will turn to teacher training... so I'm worried they might respond to the oversubscription by lowering the bursary.

Thanks, I'm so worried though. I didn't say half the things I wanted to and I was so nervous :frown: I feel like I came across as a bit useless or skittish and if I could do it again tomorrow I would be fine but god knows how I actually came across in the interview

Be confident. There are still lots of English jobs especially if you are prepared to move about a bit. You have to be aware that English is the firing line for achievement. The pressure is on for English departments. But on the flip side, English departments are large owing to the number of hours of lessons for each student. Don't be down heartened. Be confident and go for it. Teaching is a brutal profession. If you are getting down in the dumps over one interview, you are going to be in for one hell of a shock when you get into a school!
Reply 7
Original post by ByEeek
Be confident. There are still lots of English jobs especially if you are prepared to move about a bit. You have to be aware that English is the firing line for achievement. The pressure is on for English departments. But on the flip side, English departments are large owing to the number of hours of lessons for each student. Don't be down heartened. Be confident and go for it. Teaching is a brutal profession. If you are getting down in the dumps over one interview, you are going to be in for one hell of a shock when you get into a school!

I think you misunderstand my issue.

I'm not worried about the teaching profession, I don't lack confidence, I know what I'm getting myself into. I'm not looking to switch careers and the availability of teaching jobs isn't a concern at the moment so I don't know why you mentioned that. If I could do the interview again tomorrow I would smash it.The only reason my interview went bad was because I was a little unprepared, nervous due it to being my first interview and was generally having a bad day - lack of sleep the night before because of a family medical emergency followed by an entire day of rough travel meant I wasn't in the right mind.

I'm just worried that messing up this interview will lose me a place in this university and I'm considering postponing my application to reapply if that's the case.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by vrv

Why do you think English will go up? Do you think anything is likely to change for next year?

Teachers are leaving the profession from all subjects, and English is a core subject where there will always be high demand for teachers- you can cut an MFL if you're struggling to recruit but you can't cut English. As English teachers normally teach two subjects at GCSE and many schools offer 2 English A-levels (or even 3 if they offer media studies) it's a subject where there will always be high demand.

Last year, the only secondary subject that met recruitment targets was history. English was at 90% of the recruitment target, so obviously while teaching is still a relatively popular choice with English grads, not enough went into teaching last year. Teacher recruitment in general is lower this year than last year- I would expect this to affect English proportionally?

Also, the government is trying (poorly) to respond to the issues with recruiting and retaining teachers. Currently, they seem to feel throwing money at trainees is the way to do this. I've also heard that some people involved in teacher recruitment think the English bursary was pitched too low this year (but that's just hearsay so...).
Reply 9
Original post by ByEeek

Good luck!

I’m in the process of applying for a PGCE with Biology as my specialty! I have a BSc in biomedicine with first class and MSc in Cancer Biology with distinction, do you think I have s good chance of being accepted?
Original post by georgem93
I’m in the process of applying for a PGCE with Biology as my specialty! I have a BSc in biomedicine with first class and MSc in Cancer Biology with distinction, do you think I have s good chance of being accepted?

I don't see why not? You do know you will be required to teach Physics and Chemistry too?
Reply 11
Original post by ByEeek
I don't see why not? You do know you will be required to teach Physics and Chemistry too?

Yeah but as far as I’m aware, not at A level?

From my experience of applying for a Biology PGCE this year, I think you've got a good chance of getting interviews and if you perform competently at interview you'll get offers. There seems to be more biology applicants than for the other sciences but it's still an in demand subject, so they aren't going to turn you away without serious concerns about your ability to teach.

Original post by ByEeek

Yeah but as far as I’m aware, not at A level?

You would, at least to KS3, but this isn't a major concern at interview- as long as you understand the requirement and are willing to learn/revise subject content.
Reply 13
Any more news on the original post?
Original post by Khco
Any more news on the original post?

The teaching bursaries for 2018 weren't set until January 2018, so I think it's a bit early to expect to hear about 2019 figures.

I believe recruitment is down in most subjects, so I'd expect bursaries to at least be stable. The exception might be biology where there was a huge jump in the bursary from £12,000 to £26,000- so this could go down next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending