The Student Room Group

Meeting boyfriends family

Whilst this isn’t my first relationship this is the first time a boyfriends family have invited me to meet them (for lunch) and I’m pretty nervous!! Whilst I’m quite chatty around people I know well, I am actually very quiet around people I don’t know, like I don’t know what to say and I’m worried this will be bad and they’ll think I’m being rude and notice that I’m quite anxious!
We’ve been seeing each other 2 months but officially for 1 and whilst I originally thought oh cr^p this is quick, we actually got very close very quick and can see it being a long term relationship, so seems like I will be meeting them at some point anyway.
I’m just particularly nervous about making a bad impression, partly due to nerves/ awkwardness!

Anyone have any advice on do’s/ dont’s when meeting the Family? Want it to go as good as possible!
Reply 1
Original post by Optimistic_Panda
Whilst this isn’t my first relationship this is the first time a boyfriends family have invited me to meet them (for lunch) and I’m pretty nervous!! Whilst I’m quite chatty around people I know well, I am actually very quiet around people I don’t know, like I don’t know what to say and I’m worried this will be bad and they’ll think I’m being rude and notice that I’m quite anxious!
We’ve been seeing each other 2 months but officially for 1 and whilst I originally thought oh cr^p this is quick, we actually got very close very quick and can see it being a long term relationship, so seems like I will be meeting them at some point anyway.
I’m just particularly nervous about making a bad impression, partly due to nerves/ awkwardness!

Anyone have any advice on do’s/ dont’s when meeting the Family? Want it to go as good as possible!

This is cliche advice but just act like you do when you're with your boyfriend, be yourself. Talk to them like when you met your boyfriend for the first time (except the flirting!). The point I'm trying to make is you shouldn't act any differently to them or trying to behave like somebody you're not. Of course, it goes without saying that you should be polite and have proper etiquette at the dinner table, but apart from that, just use the opportunity to get to know them and tell them about yourself.
You been with my man for a month and he's already inviting you to meet his parents?!

You man fast tracked that.
Haven't been in a relationship up to the 'meeting the family' stage so I wouldn't know but isnt 2 months into relationship abit too fast to meet parents?
The best advice I can give is talk to them like your friends but also show respect. Probably generally I would say;
- don't use and language. More for the fact you don't know how they will take it
- respect their house but also feel comfortable, don't put your feet up on the sofa or anything but more don't look awkward.
- be chatty but don't suck up to them. That can be extremely cringey
- notice there habits but don't follow them, for example if the mum puts her feet up on the sofa be aware you shouldn't but maybe when they are comfortable and it's been a while you can
- be roughly on time
- if you notice shoes by the door take your shoes off but I would say generally take your shoes off anyway

It's about little things that show respect. But more be yourself
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Haven't been in a relationship up to the 'meeting the family' stage so I wouldn't know but isnt 2 months into relationship abit too fast to meet parents?

It was neither of our ideas, they actually wanted to meet me! So I did originally think oh no, this is too fast!! And he said I could of course say no, but actually after thinking about it it feels okay and weirdly not too quick! Neither of us have been in a relationship for a few years and when we met each other and got together it felt quite serious quickly, possibly due to the amount of people we’d said no to over years, aka not just dating anyone, so obviously connected well and the fact we’re a bit older now and wanting something serious but I’m not really totally sure.
People kept saying to me nothing is too fast/ slow just when it feels right, starting to understand what they mean! ☺️
Thanks, actually some really useful advice in there!! I must admit I’m a bit nervous even tho they all sound quite laid back and not particularly formal, I will try and be ‘me’ maybe dial back the crazy a tad though!! Haha.
One thing I am wondering is because it’s lunch would it be normal to offer to help? I feel like I should to be polite and actually quite like to help out where I can, but not sure if that would look odd and only happens in meet the parents kinda movies lol!
Reply 7
Hi, I am very young, I am 12 years old. But my sisters are all married now, and they talked me some tips. Also, eng is not my main language, maybe some grammars are bad. So, just stay in calm, make sure you wear comfortable clothes you like. But, not that casual. Looking comfortable can give them think you want to get close to them, and there's no tension. But, if your boyfriend's families are kinda strict or kind of very rich, wear form of dress to look clean and neat. Also, try to show them how you can cook, clean, like basic stuffs that wife could do. So they can believe you and hope you get married with their son. Just, keep smiling, and try to continue conversations. So, prepare what you are going to say after saying all subjects and being awkward each other. Talking about how good is your families are, can be very helpful as well. Also, when they are talking themselves, try to sympathy together, If you have nothing yo sympathy, try to lie them that you experience it. They will think they will match with you well. Also, try to order foods that are not that expensive, but also that is with good quality. 100% boyfriend's parents will pay for it. And if you buy something expensive, they will think you are nonsense. If you are having lunch by they are foods, try to help them as well. So, make sure you prepared how to cook, and how to wash dishes stuffs. Try to makeup softly. Don't even try to think you will not wear makeup. As well, just try to match with them. Ya know, if you match together, become friends. I hope this kinda helped you, hope you each married and have happy life! Hope you succeed and hope this helped you. Good luck!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending