Turn on thread page Beta

Have you used Modafinil or Ritalin to help you through exams? watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Obviously, The Student Room does not condone the use of drugs, and encourages students to use natural ways to improve their exam and revision performance (you can find out more about how to naturally improve your performance here and manage stress levels here)

But we are trying to find out if "study drug" use is still a common occurrance among GCSE and A-Level students.

* Have you recently used or tried "study drugs" (Modafinil or Ritalin) to help you through revision, GCSEs or A-Levels?

* Or do you know anyone that's taken them to get through stressful periods?

* Do you think it's a prominent issue in your school?

If you'd like to talk about this further / privately, you can also PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t use any drugs not so ever, this is psychological you think when u take study drugs you will be able to improve your performance. Just think that you are good enough to do on your own and NATURALLY and you will effectively succeed
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by AsalaR)
    Don’t use any drugs not so ever, this is psychological you think when u take study drugs you will be able to improve your performance. Just think that you are good enough to do on your own and NATURALLY and you will effectively succeed
    That's good (and much healthier) advice

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know of many people in my year who took a drug (not sure which) to help them stay focused and calm in our mock exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    Obviously, The Student Room does not condone the use of drugs, and encourages students to use natural ways to improve their exam and revision performance (you can find out more about how to naturally improve your performance here and manage stress levels here)

But we are trying to find out if "study drug" use is still a common occurrance among GCSE and A-Level students.

* Have you recently used or tried "study drugs" (Modafinil or Ritalin) to help you through revision, GCSEs or A-Levels?

Using performance enhancing drugs for exams?! What next drug tests before exams haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsalaR)
    Except it's not just psychological. There are plenty of controlled studies which have shown the benefits of modafinil.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    No. Got my grades through hard work and sensible revising

ReputationRep:
    Modafinil is a helluva drug. All I'm sayin'.

To be fair, I wouldn't really say it is performance enhancing. I think increasing memory and concentration are overstated. In fact, I think it makes you lose sight of the "big picture" if you take it during an exam or writing an essay.

What it does give you is a mono-focus on the task at hand, but that task can drift. You might have all your books out and decide you're going to make 50 pages of notes, and then a thought enters your head about Madagascar and you spend the next 5 hours reading the Wikipedia of the animals found only in that country.

ReputationRep:

I peronally dont, I think its kind of a form of cheating. However, I do have a multitude of friends who do on my business degree, I also know others on science related courses in other unis.

I dont think they genuinely need to take them, its just they would rather get the work over and done with quickly and they find it an easy way to do so...

ReputationRep:
    If there is a drug which really improves your exam performance then sign me up! As long as it's safe to take obviously.

ReputationRep:

Never even heard of such things till now... So can i get em from a nearby pharmacist? Do i require ID for them?

ReputationRep:
    This thread is advertising these drugs more than preventing their usage. Proof ^

Never even heard of these before opening this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Heard of modafinil
    Dunno what the fish Ritalin is?

ReputationRep:
    I've used modafinil. Before people start labelling users as negative terms, I obtained my modafinil legally and in compliance with UK regulations. It is important to know the laws surrounding modafinil, and I know my modafinil is safe.

In the two times I have bought modafinil, the first was the most effective. 100mg made me focused, and I knew something was in effect as I felt numb to everything around me when studying. Perhaps the most noticeable effect was how I could write, then write some more, then think about how much I was writing, while writing, continue writing, and so on. What I'm trying to say is, in my experience, I had no brain fog at all, and my thoughts continued very swiftly. I could still drink water, and although many say it lasts 8-10 hours, I think that eating diffuses the effects, so using it within school is okay but it won't work as well in the afternoon.

200mg is another story. 200mg lasers you, lasts longer, and the effects are vivid. However, I am generally a calm person, yet I felt very anxious and paranoid. I remember my history teacher told me he'd get my essay back to me within the next 5 minutes, and I became incredibly anxious. I felt this anxiety continue for the rest of the day.

If you think modafinil is going to make you some genius in 30 minutes, then don't take it. If you want to revise stuff, and genuinely consolidate work, don't take it. If you want to grind out an essay ASAP and want to knuckle down, take it. Modafinil, from my experience, fixates you on doing one thing. If you're revising, you're generally looking over numerous things and multitasking, which contradicts the effects of modafinil. I haven't used it for exams, but I'm not sure I will out of fear of something going wrong.

My overall experience with modafinil has been good, and people will try to scaremonger the public to believe that its some sort of hard drug that could potentially ruin you academic career. Just do some research, assess how badly you need it, and try it. Understand that it is legal to buy in the UK, but illegal to sell. If you have any doubts over it, don't do it, just do work.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I don't know how much of a difference these drugs even make; I knew someone who took them and he ended up getting a 2:2

Maybe people get off the placebo effect, rather than any genuine enhancement in memory

Or maybe, the only real people than benefit from it are those who need it and were prescribed it in the first place... Like most drugs
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No.:erm:

First time I'd heard of them was through TSR. Don't really like the sound of it all personally.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    No.:erm:

First time I'd heard of them was through TSR. Don't really like the sound of it all personally.
    Heard of it through a podcast cos one of the people has ADHD and takes either one of them (can't remember) for concentration which I believe was it's intended use. Using it for exams is cheating in my eyes (unless you have the above medical reason) like doping is for sport
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
    Never even heard of such things till now... So can i get em from a nearby pharmacist? Do i require ID for them?
    No. It's prescription only and tightly regulated because of its high street value
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Those are rookie drugs. I pop a limitless pill twice a day. Elevates my IQ from 169 to 420.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Heard of it through a podcast cos one of the people has ADHD and takes either one of them (can't remember) for concentration which I believe was it's intended use. Using it for exams is cheating in my eyes (unless you have the above medical reason) like doping is for sport
    Doping is cheating because it's against the rules. No rules prohibit modafinil in exams.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.