The Student Room Group

Thoughts on art GCSE?

I am probably taking art but I just want to see what it’s like and if people enjoy it.
Reply 1
It's all about quantity over quality now. I don't mean to make you feel discouraged, but you seriously have to do a lot of work and if you don't know what you want to do, you may fall behind a lot. What happened with me was, it took me until days before my art exam to find an artist as i was so picky about it, and because of that i didn't show any development of ideas because i didn't have anything to go off. Now i have to finish all my coursework and this comment has just reminded me to stop procrastinating and do it lol
I really enjoy art GCSE- right now, I'm getting predicted level 8(A*) and I find it extremely fun. However(I'm sure you've heard this before), THERE IS SO MUCH WORK TO DO. You need to keep on top of your schedule and make sure you have time to do everything. I've missed lots of deadlines and have somehow got back on track, but not without my fair share of late nights and full art weekends. If you enjoy it, TAKE IT! But always remember that you need time, materials, and passion.

One of my friends lost track of time after the second project and hasn't completed it yet, and has also been unable to catch up. As a result, she's lost interest entirely and her grades in the subject have dropped from 8 down to 6 due to cramming and lack of effort.

I still enjoy it, but it can be incredibly stressful at times and you WILL produce work that you're not entirely happy with. Focus, be happy, and do your best, and if you work at it and develop your skills, I'm sure you'll be brilliant. :h:
Original post by Bellarosa
I am probably taking art but I just want to see what it’s like and if people enjoy it.

I take Edexcel 9-1 Art........Its ok.....but it is stressful when its close to the exam....I spent about 3-4 days doing nothing but art in my sketchbook!!! But don't be discouraged...its because I am slow and bad:smile: If you like/love it then take it....It doesn't matter if you are bad...although I am sure you very good:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Zedress
It's all about quantity over quality now. I don't mean to make you feel discouraged, but you seriously have to do a lot of work and if you don't know what you want to do, you may fall behind a lot. What happened with me was, it took me until days before my art exam to find an artist as i was so picky about it, and because of that i didn't show any development of ideas because i didn't have anything to go off. Now i have to finish all my coursework and this comment has just reminded me to stop procrastinating and do it lol

Im glad this reminded you, and I think it actually does reassure me because I was a bit worried my art skills wouldn’t be good enough, however I am a very hard worker so this has made me feel much more reassured thank you😄
Reply 5
Original post by AnaaaElec
I really enjoy art GCSE- right now, I'm getting predicted level 8(A*) and I find it extremely fun. However(I'm sure you've heard this before), THERE IS SO MUCH WORK TO DO. You need to keep on top of your schedule and make sure you have time to do everything. I've missed lots of deadlines and have somehow got back on track, but not without my fair share of late nights and full art weekends. If you enjoy it, TAKE IT! But always remember that you need time, materials, and passion.

One of my friends lost track of time after the second project and hasn't completed it yet, and has also been unable to catch up. As a result, she's lost interest entirely and her grades in the subject have dropped from 8 down to 6 due to cramming and lack of effort.

I still enjoy it, but it can be incredibly stressful at times and you WILL produce work that you're not entirely happy with. Focus, be happy, and do your best, and if you work at it and develop your skills, I'm sure you'll be brilliant. :h:

Thank you so much I found this extremely helpful😄
Reply 6
Original post by Regina Mills
I take Edexcel 9-1 Art........Its ok.....but it is stressful when its close to the exam....I spent about 3-4 days doing nothing but art in my sketchbook!!! But don't be discouraged...its because I am slow and bad:smile: If you like/love it then take it....It doesn't matter if you are bad...although I am sure you very good:smile:

Thank you and good luck with it I’m sure you are great too!😄
Original post by Bellarosa
Thank you and good luck with it I’m sure you are great too!😄

Thanks............... Good Luck!!!
Hi - I did the old art GCSE 3 years ago, so my view might be a little less relevant than current students but you might still find it helpful! I'll reiterate that you need to stay on top of your workload, but if you really enjoy art you'll be able to motivate yourself. Also, one thing that helped me to get an A* was noting down my thoughts and how I made decisions about my project in my sketchbook - you won't be there in person to explain your work to the examiner/moderator, so make lots of notes!!! Clear notes are also super useful for showing your inspiration from your artist research. A final tip - don't be afraid to use unusual techniques if you have a particular skill you enjoy. For example, I incorporated embroidery work into my final piece (to my teacher's chagrin but whatever haha) and I really enjoyed working on my trials, doing my final piece etc. Good luck!!!
Reply 9
Original post by AmyNeedsToRevise
Hi - I did the old art GCSE 3 years ago, so my view might be a little less relevant than current students but you might still find it helpful! I'll reiterate that you need to stay on top of your workload, but if you really enjoy art you'll be able to motivate yourself. Also, one thing that helped me to get an A* was noting down my thoughts and how I made decisions about my project in my sketchbook - you won't be there in person to explain your work to the examiner/moderator, so make lots of notes!!! Clear notes are also super useful for showing your inspiration from your artist research. A final tip - don't be afraid to use unusual techniques if you have a particular skill you enjoy. For example, I incorporated embroidery work into my final piece (to my teacher's chagrin but whatever haha) and I really enjoyed working on my trials, doing my final piece etc. Good luck!!!

Thank you! I’m really excited to do my art GCSE now!😄

Quick Reply

Latest