username3738636
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have an upcoming physics exam and i was wondering if anyone can tell me differences ans similarities between longitudinal and transverse waves? Thanks!
sleepyrobyn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thatgeekystudent)
I have an upcoming physics exam and i was wondering if anyone can tell me differences ans similarities between longitudinal and transverse waves? Thanks!
I find the physics classroom useful for this sorta thing, maybe check this out and see if it helps you at all!
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/clas...ories-of-Waves
ebada hassan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
transverse waves have oscillations (vibrations) are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer but longitudinal are parallel
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As above, Transverse waves have oscillations perpendicular to the direction of travel, whilst the longitudinal ones are parallel, an example of a Transverse wave would be light (and everything else in the electromagnetic spectrum), and an example of Longitudinal waves would be Sound.

Building off the last point, transverse waves can be plane polarised (i.e, oscillations can only come in one direction), through the filter.
Presto
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Differences
1.Longitudinal waves are waves in which particles vibrate/oscillate parallel to the direction of the wave propagation but Transverse waves are those in which particles vibrate/oscillate perpendicular to the direction of the wave propagation
2. Transverse waves can be polarised but longitudinal waves can not
Similarities:
1. Both are progressive i.e they both carry energy.
2. Both obey the wave equation v=fλ

No probs!
username3738636
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks so much everyone!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.3%
Virtual campus tours/open days (120)
23.44%
Live streaming events (46)
8.98%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (50)
9.77%
A uni comparison tool (119)
23.24%
An in-person event when available (114)
22.27%