Paying people to do your coursework.... Watch

This discussion is closed.
barrellc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Hobo-Joe)
I've not read the other pages before so I don't know if someone has pointed this out, but there are things called interviews.
yeah but just because you havent done the work doesnt mean you cant pass an interview, it would make a lot of difference if youre doing a medical or science degree and are following along that path, but for every other graduate job they rarely test your knowledge of your degree in the interview. Especially now as more companies are letting you join into many graduate jobs regardless of what degree subject you studied
barrellc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Science99999)
Coursework is irrelvant and a flaw to the education system, hence why it was largely removed from the majority of respectable subjects. Teachers cheat, not the student. Teachers give all the answers, the system is easily corruptable and broken. Paying others to do the coursework is equivalent to doing it in a school, where teachers install the answers into your work and practically compelte the work for you.
Granted some teachers do help quite a bit, but i would say its fairly rare that youre told the answer. For a lot of my assignments what to do and how to do it is fairly vague, and the most of the teachers will give you a very high level yes or no as to whether the piece is heading in the right direction. I know it might be different for other courses and unis but thats my perspective anyway.

Im not sure what else could really replace coursework....
barrellc
Rep:
?
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
It really is something I feel strongly about: value of time. I value it higher than I value money. Most choices I make, or calculations I do on paper that involve budgeting, revolve around time moreso than money for me.

The only money I need is to pay for the basics, essentials, or whatever I need to work productively (such as 3 extra flat monitors on my desk, which isn't cheap to be fair, but my work requires it, and a fking expensive laptop for graphics work). Extras to that are luxuries. I don't need to spend a lot of money to entertain myself, so am not motivated to work harder to earn such a surplus (though there are other reasons). I prefer to spend the time differently, reading things I find interesting, spend it with people I value in my life, etc.
Thats a fair assessment, I guess its slightly different on a course like yours as I can imagine its more time consuming to complete than others. But I feel with uni I normally have enough time on my hands as it is... Im in final year and I still go out out 2 nights a week and see friends most days, and also I work ppart-time, whilst doing enough work to achieve a first. So I dont really feel like im missing out on anything by giving up that time to do coursework...
username2337287
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by barrellc)
Granted some teachers do help quite a bit, but i would say its fairly rare that youre told the answer. For a lot of my assignments what to do and how to do it is fairly vague, and the most of the teachers will give you a very high level yes or no as to whether the piece is heading in the right direction. I know it might be different for other courses and unis but thats my perspective anyway.

Im not sure what else could really replace coursework....
Not many subjects have coursework now, the introduction of the new GCSE almost removes this element from every subject. This is also an addition to A levels as well. Although, more essay based subjects such as geography and history still have a substantial element regarding coursework, the degree varying upon specification. Previously on behalf of the AQA GCSE for sciences, a practical coursework element, an ISA was required; the questions would be equivalent and teachers would teach the questions and recite the answers using different contexts, hence familiarity and exam style were the same. This has now been abolished and replaced with required practicals. Current A level specifications have "core practicals" (Edexcel) or PAGs (OCR), these have no effect on the overall grade of the linear A level however provide a certificate of practical competence, which is very difficult to fail. Coursework can be expressed in alternative ways, the fundamental principles behind coursework such as independence and organisation can now be demonstrated through the harder EPQ system; entering essay competitions and doing a research placement (Nuffield).
NonIndigenous
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think coursework is a much more effective teaching method. It's more practical, hands-on, and reflects real work better. But it requires more teaching hours, and more effort to mark. It's therefore more expensive. I assume different examination boards will offer different proportions of coursework / exams for various subjects... and they'll be priced accordingly. I imagine some schools will be able to afford better, others won't.

Though I'm very biased on the topic. Exams make me sick. When the subject or course module is well organized, and I know how to prepare for it, I can tolerate it. When everything is up in the air though, I get mad. Recently at my university lots of students complained that one of the exams was written in bad English, for example. In the UK.

Yep, I've had that too. Especially that I did my BSc in Poland where the course was taught in English, and on occasions lecturers resorted to google translate when writing exam papers. Jeez. But there were coping strategies: up to 2 free resits, made a big difference.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldnt do it, I wouldnt be able to say i earned my degree if i did. But its so easy for them to get away with it, and i dont understand why people do it :/
What's not to understand? They get the work done (potentially to a higher standard) without putting any effort in. People cheat/take shortcuts all the time, it's not a rare and unexplained event.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
Anything that actually counts for your grades is marked blind so that your classification isn't affected by favouritism or dislike. For coursework that matters they won't know who they're marking and so won't spot any style differences between pieces of work.
That's not true, it will depend on the university. All of my coursework has been submitted with my name on it. The exams are marked blind by having a corner that folds over your name and uni number then is peeled off after the booklet has been marked but there are no such precautions for coursework.
DrSocSciences
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nowadays 75% of people get a 2.1 or above (25% being a first) and thats increased dramatically in the last 5 years, and im starting to think that maybe its because of these sites, and its devaluing it for everyone else.
No, the chronic grade inflation is driven by other factors. In the mid 1990's, only 7% of graduates were awarded 1sts, whereas in 2015/6, more students (24%) received 1sts than 2.2s (21%), with the majority (51%) getting 2.1s. [Source: Higher Education Statistics Agency].

Universities are their own degree-awarding bodies, and benefit from rising in the league tables according to the number of 1sts awarded, which is a real factor in the newly-defined marketplace. Eg. University of Surrey doubled its number of 1sts from 2010/11 to 2015/16 (19% vs 41%). That kind of shift is not attributable to essay cheats: it's structural change.
!ggypop
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just think that if you find studying a chore, you shouldn't be at university. I don't understand students that complain about lectures/coursework. It's such a privilege to be there, if you would rather be working full time, go do that. There are lots of people who would be so grateful for the chance to spend most of their time studying
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It disgusts me to be honest. I've started tutoring this year and have a profile on an online site that matches students/tutors, and about 40% of the messages I've had have been from students who don't want a tutor really, don't want to learn or understand their course material, but rather want someone to write their assignment. In addition, many of these such messages are written in a rude/demanding manner, at short notice (e.g. 2 days before a deadline), and sound as though they think it is something they are entitled to, just because they are willing to pay for it...though I expect even if I was willing to do it, they wouldn't like the hourly rate x how long it actually takes to do an assignment.

I don't even see why people do it. Asking someone who is not even on your course to write something is ridiculous - someone who hasn't studied the material is supposed to write a better assignment?
Canterbury bloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
Tutors don't know the names of the people's work they're marking so there's no risk of bias either way, they just given the work to mark with no details of the student. They have no idea whose work they're marking so there's no way they'd spot any style differences.
That is categorically untrue. SOME marking schemes are anonymous and Turnitin permits this, but by no means all. A lot of universities do not have anonymous marking for coursework because it ensures that students receive tailored feedback and support.
Canterbury bloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s all academic really because some of the assignment factories and degree shopfronts take your money and then sit back and chill. They watch your career through social media like LinkedIn and, a few years later, send you a bill. Well, they call it a bill, but it’s good old fashioned blackmail.

They have the evidence that your work was fake, or your purchased degree was useless, and they want a coupe of thousand. I hope it happens a lot, frankly.
username3910226
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This reminds me of a software developer, who decided to outsource his own job

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ources-own-job
DinnerSaw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, some people are just dishonest. It is an ethical decision, isn't it?

You do learn from studying for a degree. If a cheat gets a degree, they won't have the knowledge of how to deal with issues & that will show up subsequently. There are usually (& should be) exams where cheats will be caught out & re-examination of coursework might then be undertaken. Bought coursework usually falls down badly on content!

Yes, it is unfair if such a person graduates but that won't affect either you or your degree. I remember a vice chancellor saying, at an induction day: you will learn to learn. It didn't make much sense at the time but I can see now just how big an effect that a degree level education has on that very important talent.
Minhaz2001
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
butthurt whores just cuz ur broke ass cant pay someone to do it and u have to work for it dont cry other people get away with it
keep thinking u achieved something by doing work day and night like robots. gj u are very smart, retards
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (346)
60.38%
Yes- I don't like it (30)
5.24%