How long will it take to complete the SQE?

Watch
Reformed2010
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi i will be taking the non-law route and was struggling to find information on how long the SQE will take. The information I found just said, you complete Stage 1, training contract and then complete Stage 2. Is that two years or three?

Also say you are successful in gaining a training contract in your 2nd year. What do people usually or should be doing in their third year or is that it, just focus on your grades and graduate?

Thanks
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
2 years minimum.

There will no longer be a "training contract". You just need to accumulate 2 years worth of qualifying work experience (QWE)

The information you have got is not quite accurate. Although it is suspected that the majority of law firms will take the SQE Stage 1 -> 2 years of QWE -> SQE Stage 2 approach, there is nothing stopping you from doing your QWE before stage 1 or after stage 2.
Fantastic, I just wanted to know the shortest possible time to complete it. Regarding QWE, I tried searching but again found nothing really. Especially regarding the new SQE, what qualifies and what does not seems vague?

By the time I have applied for my training contract (say 2nd year) I would have been a qualified Advisor and volunteering for a minimum of 3 years at Citizens Advice. How would I know if this experience counts towards my SQE? Some volunteers at my Citizens Advice claim law firms are increasingly not treating it as experience.
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
The QWE isn’t really defined yet beyond it being signed off by a Solicitor or a compliance officer. It will purposely be kept vague though.

It could count towards qualification. However becoming a qualified lawyer via the SQE does not mean you will be employable. Law firms wont see it’s comparable experience to what is done in their firms. There is a danger with the new system of being over qualified but under experienced
How so, I thought under the pre-SQE system you need 2 years of training and will still need 2 years of training with the SQE?

If Law firms won't see my experience as a Citizens Advice Advisor as comparable experience, why do some say it could shortern your training contract?

Sorry for all the questions I am trying to fully understand this.
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
As it currently stands, your training contract can only be done with one firm/organisation under a formal "period of recognised training". There are some exemptions, but ultimately the current system is designed so any previous experience isn't counted. As the firm signs off your experience, they generally can't and don't want to approve any previous experiences.

The new system allows the individual to not be tied to the firm and gain their experience over multiple organisations who each sign off their part. The exams then work as a verifier to say you have learnt enough. But the QWE experience can be gained at anytime - it technically could be gained before even graduating. Now, at best you have to do it alongside studying for the LPC, but most will only do the two years post LPC.

It can shorten your "training contract" though. However, firms may not want to allow this for their own sanity - just because you have qualified, it doesn't mean you have gained two years of experience relevant to their type of legal work. You could have qualified in family law, but that doesn't mean all of a sudden you can become a international qualified lawyer.

TL;DR: currently TCs were typically attached to the organisation, not the individual. The new system ties the training and exams to the individual.
Just so I am absolutely clear. The training contract from a Law firm and 2 years experience/QWE are essentially the same thing just different means to qualify while doing GDL, LPC and later just the SQE, correct?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (181)
28.64%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (105)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.18%
I want to meet current students (53)
8.39%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
8.07%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
19.94%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
6.01%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.16%

Watched Threads