The Student Room Group

Travel Grant question

HI,

i have a few, hopefully simple, questions about the travel grant:-

- For the cost of the flight, is it reasonable to get a slightly more expensive flight that is quicker and direct? for example at the moment the cheapest flight for me is about Β£600, but takes about 22 hours. There is a direct flight, or quicker flights (about 13 hours) that are about Β£750-Β£800. Also as i am unsure when i can/want to return is it acceptable to pay a bit more for a flexible ticket which would be cheaper in the long run as i wouldn't have to pay fees to change the flight? are flight change fees included in the grant?
- Can i book and pay for my flight now, and claim when the academic year starts?
- i will be starting my studies abroad in August, so does will need to be there in July in order to find accommodation etc. is this OK?
- Are vaccinations included in the grant? if so it is OK to get the necessary ones done at my GP surgery and claim the money back as usual?

- My student finance application is clearly for a year abroad, but i have not received any travel grant letters yet. Will these come once my university has confirmed that i am studying abroad?

Thanks!

Sam
Original post by sjfindlay
HI,

i have a few, hopefully simple, questions about the travel grant:-

- For the cost of the flight, is it reasonable to get a slightly more expensive flight that is quicker and direct? for example at the moment the cheapest flight for me is about Β£600, but takes about 22 hours. There is a direct flight, or quicker flights (about 13 hours) that are about Β£750-Β£800. Also as i am unsure when i can/want to return is it acceptable to pay a bit more for a flexible ticket which would be cheaper in the long run as i wouldn't have to pay fees to change the flight? are flight change fees included in the grant?
- Can i book and pay for my flight now, and claim when the academic year starts?
- i will be starting my studies abroad in August, so does will need to be there in July in order to find accommodation etc. is this OK?
- Are vaccinations included in the grant? if so it is OK to get the necessary ones done at my GP surgery and claim the money back as usual?

- My student finance application is clearly for a year abroad, but i have not received any travel grant letters yet. Will these come once my university has confirmed that i am studying abroad?

Thanks!

Sam

Hi Sam,

The application for students travel grant will be carried out automatically by our assessment team depending on the information provided by the student on their main application for funding. Your application is income assesed and your university confirm that the study abroad is part of the course. If students are eligible then a claim form will automatically be sent to them.In answer to your question regarding vaccines, the cost of any vaccinations required would be covered also.Regarding the class and method of travel, it should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected, if no hold luggage is included in the flight price we will cover the cost of 1 hold bag (general guide is up to 23KG). However if enhanced economy class flights have been purchased e.g. Economy Flex or Economy Flex Plus, we would require evidence to show that this was the only or least expensive option available at the time of booking as these fares offer additional benefits. If a student advises that they wish to purchase an Economy Flex fare (not Plus) due to not knowing their return dates they should advise this at the time of claiming for consideration.

Any costs above the first Β£303.00 will be reimbursed pound for pound (depending on the household income threshold)

We have no access on The Student Room to check the progress of your application.

If you call us we will be better able to advise,

Tel: 0300 100 0607
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday. Local call rates apply).

Regards Rona
Reply 2
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Sam,

The application for students travel grant will be carried out automatically by our assessment team depending on the information provided by the student on their main application for funding. Your application is income assesed and your university confirm that the study abroad is part of the course. If students are eligible then a claim form will automatically be sent to them.In answer to your question regarding vaccines, the cost of any vaccinations required would be covered also.Regarding the class and method of travel, it should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected, if no hold luggage is included in the flight price we will cover the cost of 1 hold bag (general guide is up to 23KG). However if enhanced economy class flights have been purchased e.g. Economy Flex or Economy Flex Plus, we would require evidence to show that this was the only or least expensive option available at the time of booking as these fares offer additional benefits. If a student advises that they wish to purchase an Economy Flex fare (not Plus) due to not knowing their return dates they should advise this at the time of claiming for consideration.

Any costs above the first Β£303.00 will be reimbursed pound for pound (depending on the household income threshold)

We have no access on The Student Room to check the progress of your application.

If you call us we will be better able to advise,

Tel: 0300 100 0607
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday. Local call rates apply).

Regards Rona

Thanks Rona. Can you advise which options to chooses when phoning so i can actually speak to someone~?
Thanks

Sam
Original post by sjfindlay
Thanks Rona. Can you advise which options to chooses when phoning so i can actually speak to someone~?
Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

There is not a specific option for Travel Grants,but if you call the Student Finance England number on 0300 100 0607. One of our advisors will be happy to help.

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply