Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I graduated last year and I havent applied for much jobs nor do I have anything fancy that makes me stand out. i have a 2:1 in business management and a chartered management lvl 6 qualification. I also have a bit of consultancy experience. since i havent applied to many jobs and i'm not very prepared for maths/eng test, i have only had one interview since graduating last summer. Should i continue applying for work and apply for a pgce now so i have a spot in a uni so if i havent secured a job by september i can become a teacher. And no, its not what i want to be but it looks like i have no choice. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I mean, with that attitude you're going to fail miserably at being a teacher. But hey, you do you. :P

ReputationRep:
    Teaching is not easy. If you don't want to do it that would become pretty clear in the interview and you probably wouldn't get a PGCE place. You certainly wouldn't pass a PGCE without enthusiasm, commitment and a willingness to work hard.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say this is a sure road to fail but I do get what one of the respondents said. If I were you, I would start applying for jobs and get some experience. You have the rest of your life to get bogged down in the world of teaching but having a grasp of the real world before being plunged back into the surreal world of education is no bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    Have you had someone look at your CV and see why you are struggling to get interviews? Are you tailoring your applications? Could a recruitment consultant help you find some suitable work? Are you aiming your sights a little too high- would applying for roles a step down help you get a foot in the door?

While there is a teaching shortage, it's definitely subject and region specific. Business studies isn't a shortage subject, and recruitment targets for it aren't that high. Do you think you could fake enough enthusiasm and competence to get through the interview?

The PGCE and NQT years are hard work- do you think you'll have the motivation to pass?

People do use teaching as a back up plan, but it's not always a successful one. Surely it's a better strategy to look at why you aren't getting the jobs you want, and what you can do to change that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorthAShot)
    Hi, so I graduated last year and I havent applied for much jobs nor do I have anything fancy that makes me stand out. i have a 2:1 in business management and a chartered management lvl 6 qualification. I also have a bit of consultancy experience. since i havent applied to many jobs and i'm not very prepared for maths/eng test, i have only had one interview since graduating last summer. Should i continue applying for work and apply for a pgce now so i have a spot in a uni so if i havent secured a job by september i can become a teacher. And no, its not what i want to be but it looks like i have no choice. Thanks
    This is my opinion to feel free to ignore it but, I find it a little offensive that you are using this path as a “back up plan” when it is something that some of us have worked really hard to achieve and are really passionate about. Unless you are really enthusiastic and keen on teaching then why the hell bother? Go get a job doing anything until you get a job you actually want and actually be happy. Why would you just use teaching as a back up option if you have zero interest in it? Some other posters have put some great advice regarding your CV etc. I would say go get a job doing anything and work hard until you achieve what you really want.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    With teaching, your heart has absolutely got to be 100% in it. It’s survival of the toughest out there and no longer is it something that people go into as a back up plan like it used to be.
    Agree with other posters about getting more “real world” experience behind you. Work on your application and interview techniques, get friends and family to help/advise you on this, you have good qualifications and some experience in consultancy so that’s a good start.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm sorry for the negative OP but i didnt have the best of days. First of all, i dont mind being a teacher, what i do as my current job is far worse. I'd love to teach students and help the disadvantaged as i once was when i was young. My only turn off is what everyone feels mutual about, the long hours marking and if you end up in a bad school then youll be in for a extra hard time. I understand its hardwork being a teacher, id never try to undermine the efforts they put in, and i would be willing to do the same if i had to, i wouldnt have a choice. But i wont lie, from negative past experiences I do feel less respect towards the profession but i do also feel that just because there are a few bad teachers, not all are the same. As for my CV it's been checked by uni careers and it is now in a good state. I tailor my CV and cover letter to each company as best as possible.

As for the member above who feels offended, i totally understand. If you want to teach and make a difference, thats great and i wish you good luck. To be honest, the reason why i havent secured a good grad job is due to lack of applying, i am also quite pessimistic and i know this attitude needs to change if i wish to be successful in life. My only purpose of this post was to ask if i should apply now in case i am not successful in securing a grad job. But as one member said, there are many other non grad jobs to consider before i make a giant leap into this profession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorthAShot)
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm sorry for the negative OP but i didnt have the best of days. First of all, i dont mind being a teacher, what i do as my current job is far worse. I'd love to teach students and help the disadvantaged as i once was when i was young. My only turn off is what everyone feels mutual about, the long hours marking and if you end up in a bad school then youll be in for a extra hard time. I understand its hardwork being a teacher, id never try to undermine the efforts they put in, and i would be willing to do the same if i had to, i wouldnt have a choice. But i wont lie, from negative past experiences I do feel less respect towards the profession but i do also feel that just because there are a few bad teachers, not all are the same. As for my CV it's been checked by uni careers and it is now in a good state. I tailor my CV and cover letter to each company as best as possible.

As for the member above who feels offended, i totally understand. If you want to teach and make a difference, thats great and i wish you good luck. To be honest, the reason why i havent secured a good grad job is due to lack of applying, i am also quite pessimistic and i know this attitude needs to change if i wish to be successful in life. My only purpose of this post was to ask if i should apply now in case i am not successful in securing a grad job. But as one member said, there are many other non grad jobs to consider before i make a giant leap into this profession.
    Sounds like you have your head screwed on right, don’t be disheartened I myself tried for graduate jobs for a good 2/3 years after graduating and began to spiral as each knockback felt like a massive hit to my confidence and outlook. Eventually I found what I wanted to do and something that would be a good outlet for all my positive qualities, which was not a route i ever imagined I would take to begin with!

Good luck and keep going, it’s hard to do when you feel crappy about everything but it will happen for you eventually!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is wise to go into teaching as a back-up plan. Children deserve teachers who are there out of passion, not teachers who are there as a last resort. You also need to consider that training providers look for enthusiasm. If your heart isn't in teaching it will reflect in the interview and in your course work. Maybe you should get some experience in schools and consider applying for next year if you like it?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.