The Student Room Group

UCL or Edinburgh

Hey all,

I’m holding an offer for BSc Biological Sciences in the University of Edinburgh and another offer for MSci Natural Sciences in UCL. I am trying to decide which offer to take and I was wondering if anyone who goes/has gone to these universities would have any advice.

My main concerns are these:
I’m interested in pursuing a career in research science and, for me, the university course is not so much about the content as the mentoring. My main goal is to go to a university where I will have very good mentoring and guidance from world class professors and researchers so as to develop my skills as a research scientist. This naturally comes with the requirement of going to a university where they have a large and active research scene where they are consistently pursuing cutting edge basic-science research.
What would be your thoughts on this for Edinburgh and/or UCL?

Another concern for this is the university having a teaching ethos that encourages students to be exposed to and get involved in research across the university as well as how engaged the teaching is with the students.
I.e. Is the teaching fairly hands off or will they be willing to take a personal interest in students and allow them to get involved in research and personally advise/teach them through that? Basically do they facilitate curiosity and enthusiasm well?

A third concern is the course variety. As I am primarily interested in interdisciplinary research, the Biological Sciences degree in Edinburgh can look a bit limiting, especially when you have to confine your major to a narrower biology field for your third year. In this respect UCL looks like a clearer choice. So I was wondering if there are any opportunities in Edinburgh for being heavily involved in courses outside of your degree? Especially to the point where you can have the sort of involvement in research as referred to above. If so, to what extent?

My last concern(apart from price, which there is no getting around) is this: Edinburgh looks like such a nice place to live, the city culture and size seem to be really nice. The parks, running routes, the food, the music and the lack of the super-prohibitive pricing of London (also Harry Potter!). The university seems to meld really well with this to form a great community in which to have new experiences and develop outside of just your degree. And this is not just nightlife and clubbing (which isn’t really my thing), but in so much more as well. E.g. extracurriculars, arts, sport, hiking?
Is Edinburgh really like this?
What is the student experience like?

From what I’ve seen UCL seems to have a less vibrant student life. London is a fascinating city, I spent two months working there one summer. Yet even when staying with relatives the city just seemed so full and so expensive. I know there is a lot to do there, but in terms of studying hard, traveling between accommodation, affording food, clubs and societies etc. and visiting museums/plays it looks like the city might get in the way of all that.
What is the student experience in UCL like?
Is it possible to maintain a somewhat vibrant social life and set of hobbies on a budget, without sacrificing your studies?
What would you recommend?
Original post by Marethyu238

Undergrads have little involvement in research no matter where you go. Both unis are good bets for the subject so it really is down to the content and what interests you. You can find info about student life on the SU pages and find students here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending