Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Question about state run monopolies? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Econplusdal in his video said state run monopolies can be dynamically efficient. I don't understand what they would do with profits? Does it go back to the government? If firms spend it on innovation, what's the poiny, they don't keep profits anyway?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dont know it)
    Econplusdal in his video said state run monopolies can be dynamically efficient. I don't understand what they would do with profits? Does it go back to the government? If firms spend it on innovation, what's the poiny, they don't keep profits anyway?
    State run monopolies, theoretically at least, are run for the welfare of society instead of the profiteering of private shareholders. There's no inherent reason why it needs to be a non-profit because as you mention, there are innovations that they can spend on. These innovations are beneficial for it's consumers who can still benefit from a better product.

Off the top of my head, I'd consider the Chinese High Speed Rail network for example. It's rolling stock is predominantly foreign in origin, from Germany, Japan and the like. The profits it makes from parts of the network has helped fund development of the "Fuxing Hao" series of rolling stock which have far higher levels of domestically developed components. This helps to reduce import and thus production costs of rolling stock in future and allows for quicker train sets, more comfortable ride/on-board experience etc. which are all things that keep the daily ridership happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEff)
    State run monopolies, theoretically at least, are run for the welfare of society instead of the profiteering of private shareholders. There's no inherent reason why it needs to be a non-profit because as you mention, there are innovations that they can spend on. These innovations are beneficial for it's consumers who can still benefit from a better product.

Off the top of my head, I'd consider the Chinese High Speed Rail network for example. It's rolling stock is predominantly foreign in origin, from Germany, Japan and the like. The profits it makes from parts of the network has helped fund development of the "Fuxing Hao" series of rolling stock which have far higher levels of domestically developed components. This helps to reduce import and thus production costs of rolling stock in future and allows for quicker train sets, more comfortable ride/on-board experience etc. which are all things that keep the daily ridership happy.
    If they are run for the welfare of society, wouldn't they always charge where p=mc?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 16, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.