The Student Room Group

Have you ever been truly in love?

Now I am aware many of you have been in 2/3 year long relationships or are currently and are happy but I am speaking about pure, simple and happy love. A true kind of love.

I don't think anybody is truly in love. I think many people are in love in with the idea of a relationship or simply LOVE what their partner does for them. Neither of these are true love - not the kind I am speaking about.

I also believe it takes years to love somebody. I don't care if its been 2 years or 5 to me its not sincere love. I also don't care how intense you think this feeling is I am certain it isn't true love.

The kind of love that I am speaking about isn't the date, wait for him to propose (silly) get married and have children. I am speaking about passionate and pure love. You love them just them. There are no silly standards such as height, penis size, boob size or wealth. Its just pure love.

I often wonder how it feels. I've never had a crush, never kissed anybody and don't party. Liking somebody as a person or a friend is incredibly exciting for me and I just wonder does it hurt when you are in this true kind of love?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's all down to semantics.

Your definition of true love is different to mine.

Millions - billions? - of people worldwide are truly in love.

Love is only a four letter word used to describe a wide ranging scope of emotional states.

If it looks like a dog, sounds like a dog and smells like a dog, then it is a dog.
If it looks like love, feels like love, then it is true love.

And at the end of the day, if anyone enjoys spending quality time with their partner, who cares if it's love or not anyway? Or what labels anyone wants to put on their relationship? Just enjoy your special moments together as part of this wonderful amazing life that we have all been gifted with.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
It's all down to semantics.

Your definition of true love is different to mine.

Millions - billions? - of people worldwide are truly in love.

Love is only a four letter word used to describe a wide ranging scope of emotional states.

If it looks like a dog, sounds like a dog and smells like a dog, then it is a dog.
If it looks like love, feels like love, then it is true love.

And at the end of the day, if anyone enjoys spending quality time with their partner, who cares if it's love or not anyway? Or what labels anyone wants to put on their relationship? Just enjoy your special moments together as part of this wonderful amazing life that we have all been gifted with.

Love is not a label.

I really disagree with that (in bold)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Secret Soul
Love is not a label :rofl:
Please read what I said again.

I'd be happy to answer any questions on what I actually said.
Or to respond to any comments you may have on what I actually said.

I find it difficult to respond when someone quotes my post and makes a comment unrelated to anything I said.
Please read what I said again.

I'd be happy to answer any questions on what I actually said.
Or to respond to any comments you may have on what I actually said.

I find it difficult to respond when someone quotes my post and makes a comment unrelated to anything I said.

You said who cares if its love or not. I am speaking about true Love.
it doesn't exist...
You said who cares if its love or not. I am speaking about true Love.
Someone in true love wouldn't necessarily care if anyone else described them as being in true love or not.
A highly sensible approach is to just get on with life and not spend any time analysing or agonising over whether you are in true love or not.

It's a valid philosophy for anyone to not over-analyze their thoughts, feelings, state of mind, emotions - and to therefore not care if they are in "true love" or not.
All part of the Dale Carnegie "Stop worrying and start living" philosophy.
Someone in true love wouldn't necessarily care if anyone else described them as being in true love or not.
A highly sensible approach is to just get on with life and not spend any time analysing or agonising over whether you are in true love or not.

It's a valid philosophy for anyone to not over-analyze their thoughts, feelings, state of mind, emotions - and to therefore not care if they are in "true love" or not.
All part of the Dale Carnegie "Stop worrying and start living" philosophy.

You've missed my original point completely.

Its not about questioning whether you are in love. I am asking if anybody has been truly in love the way I've described above. To me most relationships are meaningless but again my opinion doesn't matter.
Original post by Anonymous
it doesn't exist...

It does.
Of course you can get hurt. You may deeply care for somebody but this doesn't mean you were truly in love with them.

This is what I am afraid of.
Yes, eons ago. It was in another lifetime. On planet Gazorpazorp, when I was a Birdperson.
Butterflies...
Original post by Anonymous
Butterflies...

I disagree. People get butterflies for all sorts of reasons. Doesn't really equate to true love if thats what you were trying to say.
No
I disagree. People get butterflies for all sorts of reasons. Doesn't really equate to true love if thats what you were trying to say.

It's like seeing colors. There is no guarantee that the blue you see is the blue I see. People are different.
I've had "friends" that i spent years with and one day when I decided to cut them off (my own personal reasons) I didn't feel anything. I think when its with somebody you truly love you are stuck. I won't ever move on - this doesn't scare me but its the feeling itself. It could hurt.
Once.
Original post by Profesh
Once.

Wow. Really?
Love aint real

Love for how fat a mans wallet is tho
Original post by WEASEL espinoza
Love aint real

Love for how fat a mans wallet is tho

You obviously didn't read my post.

Isn't* though* Please formulate your sentences better next time.

Quick Reply

Latest