The Student Room Group

Have you ever been truly in love?

Scroll to see replies

Yes I've never actually a "friend" but everybody that was once in my life I helped in some way or another.

I think and feel deeply so I think the feeling would hurt me completely.
I give my bf food I like because I know he likes it more. If giving away your food isn't love I don't know what is.

Seriously though I think "true love" is caring about somebody so deeply that they stop being part of your life and become your life. You see yourself as one half of "Jim and Katie" as opposed to "Katie". I never understood how that could feel or even that it could exist until I met my "other half", but now that I have I can confidently say it is love. I honestly don't think it's something you can comprehend fully until you experience it.
Original post by Secret Soul
I often wonder how it feels. I've never had a crush, never kissed anybody and don't party. Liking somebody as a person or a friend is incredibly exciting for me and I just wonder does it hurt when you are in this true kind of love?

So you start your essay off like you've just completed a masters degree from Cambridge in the thing and act like you know it all and nobody in the world knows what love is except you (how special you are) yet then you say this^ which shows you just contradicted yourself cause you've never been in a relationship or had feelings for a person.

So, really and truly you don't know what your talking about but you just contradict yourself and sound pathetic

I advise you to use common sense next time and read over what you wrote
I think and feel deeply but I feel absolutely nothing for most people.
I agree. It must be a beautiful friendship if it lasts forever.
Original post by WEASEL espinoza
So you start your essay off like you've just completed a masters degree from Cambridge in the thing and act like you know it all and nobody in the world knows what love is except you (how special you are) yet then you say this^ which shows you just contradicted yourself cause you've never been in a relationship or had feelings for a person.

So, really and truly you don't know what your talking about but you just contradict yourself and sound pathetic

I advise you to use common sense next time and read over what you wrote

You need help.
I'm not one to say anything, I'm gay and Muslim (as you can see from my various posts on TSR) so dating for me has been quite hard especially because I'm not very attractive though I do take some care of myself. Some people will say that just because I am 18 I'm too young for a relationship.

True love arguably exists. We often have examples of couples going through thick and thin and sticking with one another. Some would argue that is loyalty but then wouldn't loyalty be included in true love? For example, the fighter Connor McGregor. Before his shoot to fame and riches, he and his partner were struggling financially but she still worked so that she could give him the meals that he needed to train and become stronger. it would have been easy for her to simply say to him to get a job of his own and he could get the meals himself but instead, she gave them to him so that he could fully focus on training. If that isn't true love then I don't know what isn't.

I am somewhat of a hopeful person at finding my own partner but I am also hopeless at the same time.

Perhaps true loves exist for a select few?
Yeah I have, then she decided to emotionally abuse me for a year (of an 18 month relationship) and physcially abuse me twice. :frown: and I still loved her :/
Original post by Hasan_ali
I'm not one to say anything, I'm gay and Muslim (as you can see from my various posts on TSR) so dating for me has been quite hard especially because I'm not very attractive though I do take some care of myself. Some people will say that just because I am 18 I'm too young for a relationship.

True love arguably exists. We often have examples of couples going through thick and thin and sticking with one another. Some would argue that is loyalty but then wouldn't loyalty be included in true love? For example, the fighter Connor McGregor. Before his shoot to fame and riches, he and his partner were struggling financially but she still worked so that she could give him the meals that he needed to train and become stronger. it would have been easy for her to simply say to him to get a job of his own and he could get the meals himself but instead, she gave them to him so that he could fully focus on training. If that isn't true love then I don't know what isn't.

I am somewhat of a hopeful person at finding my own partner but I am also hopeless at the same time.

Perhaps true loves exist for a select few?

How is this true love?
How is this true love?

It is to me (your interpretation may differ, however). Love is where you care for someone unconditionally and will do anything to make them happy. No matter what you love them and each day will be head over heels for them.

I can only assume that you are older than me and do not have the similar constraints that I have. Perhaps you can only experience true love yourself by experiencing it. Perhaps it in inexplicable but can only be experienced?
There is surely someone out there who can help you feel this.
I have and are currently.
We don't really fit into your standard of love but whatever.
True love to me is being physically incapable of imagning yourself with anyone else in the future. And maintaing that vision.
Just loving being with them every second of the day, and accepting that you two aren't perfect and fights are healthy. Wanting the best for them.
True love doesn't have to last. Because true love is flawed, and that's what makes it so perfect.

You know it's true love when you lose them, because they were all you looked forward to everyday.
(edited 5 years ago)
You've missed my original point completely.

Its not about questioning whether you are in love. I am asking if anybody has been truly in love the way I've described above. To me most relationships are meaningless but again my opinion doesn't matter.
Your opening post included this statement "I don't think anybody is truly in love." That is the main item that I have been responding to. If that wasn't part of your original point, why did you include it in your opening post? If it was part of your original point, why are you saying that I've missed your original point completely?

And part of my response was that millions or billions of people worldwide would consider themselves to be in true love. In "passionate and pure" love - as you put it. So yes, lots and lots of people are in true love.

You may not consider them to be in true love due to you having an overly idealistic and restrictive definition of what true love is.

Also nothing could be further from the truth than "most relationships are meaningles". Romantic relationships are the most important, rewarding, pleasurable and fulfilling things that we can do in our adult lives.
I'm going anon so nobody can mock me.

I fell in love for the first time at 14. Our families were friends and we used to meet up on holiday. We were close on Facebook, but we were doomed from the beginning. We didn't start dating until the following year of meeting. Throughout those three years, I loved her. But she only used me, she made me feel bad about myself and due to her, I couldn't get close with the second girl. My first girlfriend was and always will be the girl that ruined me.

Quick Reply

Latest