LSE_FM300
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In the chemistry text book for my course (OCR Salters B Chemical Ideas) it says (on page 193) that when you heat copper it looses electrons which, when combined with the other hand equation, leads to oxygen in the air gaining those electrons hence a reduction / oxidation reaction ---> Redox.

However, I was taught elsewhere that in order for an atom to loose electrons you need a really high amount of energy, something well beyond infra-red (heat) in terms of frequency, something closer to UV or gamma radiation.

So how can infra-red radiation cause copper to loose electrons, I thought it would simply cause the atoms to vibrate and the bonds to stretch ?

Thanks
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LSE_FM300)
In the chemistry text book for my course (OCR Salters B Chemical Ideas) it says (on page 193) that when you heat copper it looses electrons which, when combined with the other hand equation, leads to oxygen in the air gaining those electrons hence a reduction / oxidation reaction ---> Redox.

However, I was taught elsewhere that in order for an atom to loose electrons you need a really high amount of energy, something well beyond infra-red (heat) in terms of frequency, something closer to UV or gamma radiation.

So how can infra-red radiation cause copper to loose electrons, I thought it would simply cause the atoms to vibrate and the bonds to stretch ?

Thanks
that's a physics thing.

In chemistry a redox reaction occurs due to higher reactivity of one of the species, which causes it to either gain or lose an electron.

the thing about copper losing electrons is the photoelectric effect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads