The Student Room Group

Why has criticizing Islam become such a taboo?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by letterbomb4678
Trust me I'm not saying that I personally hate islam, but I still think that it's ridiculous that we should silence everyone with a different view. I don't agree with Tommy Robinson but I don't want to live in a world where he's silenced. That to me is quite dystopian.

my post wasn't even a response to yours lol.
Original post by donzie
indeed ignorant people do generalizations about muslims, but most of the critics are well versed in Islam as an ideology, when an ideology isn't compatible with western values, it raises a little small flag over the head of those who supposedly follow it, it's like : Cannibalism is bad, I claim to be a cannibal but i don't eat humans, people will be like...dude what are you exactly? lil flag on your head much?

You could argue that Christianity and Judaism are not compatible with Western values either, when they are implemented by the letter, especially as the Qur'an was largely influenced by them both. Therefore the statement that Islam is not compatible with western values could easily be described as a generalisation.
Original post by donzie
yes another one, why not?

Because theres already too many threads like this.
Original post by RickHendricks
Half of what you said is correct, but the other half is where you're a bit wrong.

People who criticize Islam tend to be hated on for being "racist" by Muslims because some Muslims feel that criticizing Islam is the same as criticizing them. But in order to get a point across sometimes, it's nearly impossible because people are too scared to be seen as racist.

In terms of the quality of an argument, calling someone racist because they have criticised your religion is pretty redundant, considering anyone can join Islam.
because fuc.king pc era...and merkel...mostly fuc.king merkel
Reply 25
Original post by trg01
You could argue that Christianity and Judaism are not compatible with Western values either, when they are implemented by the letter, especially as the Qur'an was largely influenced by them both. Therefore the statement that Islam is not compatible with western values could easily be described as a generalisation.

Well most western culture stems from a mix up between Greek, Roman and Judeo-christian cultures, Islam on the other hand is very different on many aspects, Christianity is way more prone to reform because its laws are not enforced and not married with politics as deep as islam is, Islam is a way of life,if you wish to strip its bad parts you'll end up with a weird ideology that doesn't even represent islam
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Sounds bad. How have you been silenced, or had that intolerance practiced on you?

It's something that I see all the time. I would say that I'm fairly liberal socially, but if I voice something against islam I get labelled as a racist. For some reason every criticism of islam is automatically not seen as a 'proper' opinion but is instead instantly racist and insulting. That in my opinion is way of censoring someone.
Because the odd historical fact might hurt a Muslim's feelings
Original post by donzie
Did you notice a big difference in politicians reaction to those who criticize islam compared to those who criticize Christianity or other religions?

Thoughts?

Because they rage about it almost every time. And there are quite a lot of them at that. You don't get quite the same reaction from criticizing any other religion or ideology, even extreme ones.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by NonIndigenous
Because they rage about it almost every time. And there are quite a lot of them at that. You don't get quite the same reaction from criticizing any other religion or ideology.

Shouldn't that actually raise a big red flag that such people aren't quite integrated? i mean to go ape**** for drawing Muhammad and gun down people and even praise/not condemn it, for a silly drawing?
Original post by donzie
Shouldn't that actually raise a big red flag that such people aren't quite integrated? i mean to go ape**** for drawing Muhammad and gun down people and even praise/not condemn it, for a silly drawing?

People are increasingly taught compliance instead of individualism. No critical thought. Just whatever gets likes on FB.
Original post by Fazzy_77
my post wasn't even a response to yours lol.

Ah sorry about that, I've deleted it now
Original post by letterbomb4678
It's something that I see all the time. I would say that I'm fairly liberal socially, but if I voice something against islam I get labelled as a racist. For some reason every criticism of islam is automatically not seen as a 'proper' opinion but is instead instantly racist and insulting. That in my opinion is way of censoring someone.

That sounds less like you're being institutionally censored or oppressed, and more like individuals are coming to wrong conclusions about what you believe and being disapproving.

Can you tell me a time when you haven't been able to voice your opinion?
Reply 33
Original post by donzie
Did you notice a big difference in politicians reaction to those who criticize islam compared to those who criticize Christianity or other religions?

Thoughts?

It has become a taboo in many areas because much more terrorist attacks in the name of Islam have been carried out over the past few years than before, and people are obviously going to get a negative first impression about Muslims. But because there are a sizeable number of Muslims in Western countries, there is huge pushback from them and other convinced by them generally conveying the notion that these attacks do not represent all Muslims.

Lots of people began to research and inspect the religion more critically and many find aspects of the religion they find bad, ridiculous, barbaric in their view. When these criticisms are voiced, some interpret that criticism as an attack on all Muslims since more of that had been the case early on when Islamic terrorist attacks started to take place, which is not the case now - they basically mix up real criticism of an ideology, and intentional verbal/physical abuse of all the people of an ideology, and not view different comments in an individual and nuanced fashion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by donzie
Well most western culture stems from a mix up between Greek, Roman and Judeo-christian cultures, Islam on the other hand is very different on many aspects, Christianity is way more prone to reform because its laws are not enforced and not married with politics as deep as islam is, Islam is a way of life,if you wish to strip its bad parts you'll end up with a weird ideology that doesn't even represent islam

Well, it's quite obvious that the Qur'an 'borrows' a lot from the bible and torah, so they're three branches of the same tree. It's true of course that there was a revision with both Judaism and Christianity, and that is one of the two central problems with Islamic reform/modernisation. 1. Islam claims that Mohammed's recitations came from the last and final revelation, the final, unalterable word from god. So you can't really argue for reform. 2. Even if you could argue for reform, here's no 'pope' figure/leader to instruct the followers on it.

I must challenge the notion that Christianity is not embedded into western culture as much as Islam is in its republics. Certainly in the UK at least, we have a monarch who is both head of the state and church, and we have reserved seats in the HoL for anglican bishops. To say the CoE is not whispering in the ear of government would be naive. Marriage is a religious institution, which made me wonder why same-sex couples were so keen on receiving a blessing from a church that preaches their sexuality as sinful, but that's for another thread!
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
That sounds less like you're being institutionally censored or oppressed, and more like individuals are coming to wrong conclusions about what you believe and being disapproving.

Can you tell me a time when you haven't been able to voice your opinion?

Again I do share a few liberal views socially so therefore I don't really have that many views that will be looked down upon. I can't draw from personal experience, however if you look at Lauren southern who was recently banned from the UK because she criticised Islam and was then accused of hate speech. She was meant to deliver a speech in the UK but the law made it so that she could not. If you look into exactly why she was banned you'll realise that she did not preach hate against any group, but yet she was not allowed entry anyway.
Because people who don't know much about Islam and don't have much experience debating the issue tend to make the false assumption that criticising Islam is criticising Muslims. And as most Muslims we see are brown, it's seen as targeting them and therefore racism, islamophobia etc.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Because people who don't know much about Islam and don't have much experience debating the issue tend to make the false assumption that criticising Islam is criticising Muslims. And as most Muslims we see are brown, it's seen as targeting them and therefore racism, islamophobia etc.

Yes, this.
We are afraid of offending the minority.
Reply 39
Original post by donzie

Thoughts?

Definitely. When Tim Farron or Jacob Rees-Mogg confirm they are practising traditional Christians it's headline news condemning them. In the same General Election UKIP has some policies (which by the way, I don't agree with all) curtailing Islam in this country and they are the racists and Islamophobes.

And yet the nation's background is Christianity, it's the basis of our constitution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending