The Student Room Group

OCR GEOGRAPHY AS LEVEL (New Spec 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Heidi H
For the geography AS paper you sat, what were the questions for glaciated landscapes, changing spaces, disease dilemmas and hazardous earth ?

I didn't do Glaciated landscapes, I did coastal landscapes
Disease dilemmas is another paper- geographical debates

For changing spaces (from what I can remember)

Explain two ways in which religion influences peoples’ perception of places. [4]
‘Rebranding is always a successful strategy in the place-making process.’ To what extent do you agree with this statement? [14]

The other questions involved a figure
Reply 41
People doing Disease Dilemmas,
Are you guys ready for the paper?
Synoptics
Original post by HKP24
Heyya

I'm doing Disease Dilemmas. Sorry to hear that you couldn't do your chosen topic.
Well, personally I find it very interesting and some of the issues relate to current day society like HIV/AIDs, obesity and cancer which is quite useful to know about.

ohh it does look so good as well! I want to do pharmacology at uni and like whenever I accidentally look at it I'm like different models of disease spreading?! Different classifications of disease?? Also I did an EPQ about treating HIV so I'm even more sad because there's a whole bit about mitigation strategies for HIV in there!!

Much frustration I'm gonna sulk about it now XD
Reply 43
Original post by LiiHyde
ohh it does look so good as well! I want to do pharmacology at uni and like whenever I accidentally look at it I'm like different models of disease spreading?! Different classifications of disease?? Also I did an EPQ about treating HIV so I'm even more sad because there's a whole bit about mitigation strategies for HIV in there!!

Much frustration I'm gonna sulk about it now XD

That's so sad, seeing as your'e really passionate about the topic. Maybe focus on your current topic now, for the grades. You can always have a read of the chapter after the exams if you wish.
Disease is quite a interesting topic
Original post by LiiHyde
I'm actually so jealous of you doing disease dilemmas I literally ache to have learnt that topic (and I'm kind of planning to do so over the summer) what do you think of it?

It's quite good! Very understandable, especially if you are doing Biology and/or did well in it at GCSE. I think it is one of the best topics to do, personally.
Original post by Lexie Rad
It's quite good! Very understandable, especially if you are doing Biology and/or did well in it at GCSE. I think it is one of the best topics to do, personally.

Ik that's what I was thinking! But sadly are teachers felt that climate change was more fitting because if overlaps with the compulsory earths life support systems topic the most.

If I'd spotted it at the start of Y13 or read it over the summer I might have more seriously made my case for me to learn it instead because the climate change topic is positively dull.
Original post by LiiHyde
Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the second year of the A level and I've been trying hard to get my head round the course so I might be able to share some of what I've learn so far.

OCR has been unfairly vague for the spec and the AS paper last summer left a lot of people complaining to the exam board so hopefully they'll be nicer this year.

I got an A in the AS exam so if anyone wants any guidance on exam questions// how to answer them// the bloody awful Independent Investigation// anything to do with the course really I can help

I'm studying:
- Coasts
- Earth Life Support System ( Compulsory A2 topic)
- Hazardous Earth
- Climate Change
- Changing Spaces; Making Places (Compulsory AS topic)
- Migration
- Power and Borders

- Lii :smile:

What type of questions would you be asked about an AC in migration, especially 16 markers because i have absoluteny no idea!
Reply 47
Original post by HKP24
I didn't do Glaciated landscapes, I did coastal landscapes
Disease dilemmas is another paper- geographical debates

For changing spaces (from what I can remember)

Explain two ways in which religion influences peoples’ perception of places. [4]
‘Rebranding is always a successful strategy in the place-making process.’ To what extent do you agree with this statement? [14]

The other questions involved a figure

What were the questions on Coastal Landscapes - as I am sitting A2 this year without having done the AS which is really annoying as I do not have access to the paper? Also do you think that they might ask a 16 marker that is not in KQ4 of coasts - as previously they have only had the 16 markers in this section?
Reply 48
Original post by flo295
What were the questions on Coastal Landscapes - as I am sitting A2 this year without having done the AS which is really annoying as I do not have access to the paper? Also do you think that they might ask a 16 marker that is not in KQ4 of coasts - as previously they have only had the 16 markers in this section?

I've done the AS paper recently this year and for coastal landscapes they asked the formation of a spit (8)
I can't exactly remember what the 14 marker was but it was something to do with human activity and the changing of coastal landscapes.
The rest of the questions for this topic were figure based- there was figure which you had to describe and name the feature.

Theses are for the AS geo OCR

For the A2, you will always have a 16 marker at the end of the topic regardless. There will be only one 16 marker.

Good luck for the A2 exam!
Reply 49
Original post by HKP24
I've done the AS paper recently this year and for coastal landscapes they asked the formation of a spit (8)
I can't exactly remember what the 14 marker was but it was something to do with human activity and the changing of coastal landscapes.
The rest of the questions for this topic were figure based- there was figure which you had to describe and name the feature.

Theses are for the AS geo OCR

For the A2, you will always have a 16 marker at the end of the topic regardless. There will be only one 16 marker.

Good luck for the A2 exam!

Thank You!
Just to double check I meant, will they ask a 16 marker in KQ1 of Coasts such as 'Physical factors are the most important in shaping the coastline'. Discuss, or are they always going to be in KQ4 of the topic i.e. - to do with unintentional/ intentional change and human activity etc - as these are the only types of 16 mark questions that they have asked so far? :smile: Sorry to be a bother!
Reply 50
Original post by flo295
Thank You!
Just to double check I meant, will they ask a 16 marker in KQ1 of Coasts such as 'Physical factors are the most important in shaping the coastline'. Discuss, or are they always going to be in KQ4 of the topic i.e. - to do with unintentional/ intentional change and human activity etc - as these are the only types of 16 mark questions that they have asked so far? :smile: Sorry to be a bother!

Sorry it's a bit late, what you're saying that's right
Hi, what were the questions on the AS exam?, especially glaciated landscapes. thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Anyone who us sitting the A2 papers, for the 3rd paper where there are synoptic questions, are there only certain topics you can be asked about, or can they ask you synoptic questions on any topic you have studied?
@Harisha99

yeah they basically can do it on anything at first i didnt understand how theyd achieve that with power and borders and the other human geography aspects but the exam board replied that the question would be some aspect of topic a/topic b so you can just pick the one you did
(edited 5 years ago)
In desperate need of Changing Places revision resources, someone help :frown: x
Reply 55
Whos Ready for fridays exam?
Same, the resources that are availible are terrible

Original post by georgiaelisew

Do you mean past paper questions? I have a bank if you'd like some?
Original post by LiiHyde
Do you mean past paper questions? I have a bank if you'd like some?

questions or revision notes - anything would be useful!
questions or revision notes - anything would be useful!

OCR AS 2017

To what extent are patterns of social inequality the result of economic factors [14]

OCR SAMPLE ASSESSMENT JAN 2017

Explain how globalisation can influence people's perception of place [6]

"Placemaking is used by governments only to attract inward investment" to what extent do you agree with that statement?

OCR SAMPLE ASSESSMENT DEC 2017

Suggest 2 ways past connections have contributed to shaping the identity of a place [6]

Evaluate the role of government in reducing social inequality [16]

OCR AS 2018

2 ways in which religion influences peoples perception of place [4]

"Rebranding is always a successful strategy in the placemaking process" To what extent do you agree with this statement [14]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending