The Student Room Group

OCR GEOGRAPHY AS LEVEL (New Spec 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LiiHyde
OCR AS 2017

To what extent are patterns of social inequality the result of economic factors [14]

OCR SAMPLE ASSESSMENT JAN 2017

Explain how globalisation can influence people's perception of place [6]

"Placemaking is used by governments only to attract inward investment" to what extent do you agree with that statement?

OCR SAMPLE ASSESSMENT DEC 2017

Suggest 2 ways past connections have contributed to shaping the identity of a place [6]

Evaluate the role of government in reducing social inequality [16]

OCR AS 2018

2 ways in which religion influences peoples perception of place [4]

"Rebranding is always a successful strategy in the placemaking process" To what extent do you agree with this statement [14]

thank you so much!
Reply 61
Ready for the exam?
heres a cheeky tip for last minute revisers - if you look at the sample paper on the ocr website im betting that the break down of the marks will be the same on our paper this afternoon.

e.g. theres going to be a 4 mark on just AO3 skills and an 8 mark question on just AO1
Reply 63
Yo
I would love some help!
Original post by LiiHyde
You might have tried this but like when you use the textbook there are lots of different things you can break down to learn. I imagine in the exam a lot of marks will come from just discussing these things and explaining how they work and then also answering the question.

Place Profiles

Learn the 6 place profiles:
1.Political
2.Cultural
3.Socio-economic
4.Demographic
5. Natural environment
6. Physical environment

In an exam you might be asked to explain one of these or look at a source and explain the place profile using those 6 factors.

For the case study that goes with this I'll give you the link to my quizlet of number facts for it (which also includes the other case studies and general facts) I think I've gone and starred the number ones which means you can play the gravity game which is fantastic for drilling in the numbers you might want to quote in a question

https://quizlet.com/_3568k6 If it doesn't let you access it without permission request for it and i'll accept your request to use it on quizlet.

Perception
Again similar in some ways to the place profiles there are 6 factors they want you to learn for perception which in a question you can discuss all of or the ones you feel are most important or in a figure explain what factors of perception might affect how a person perceives a certain location e.g. a wall of graffiti or play park or a church

1. Age
2. Gender
3. Sexuality
4. Religion
5. Role in Society
6. Emotional Attachment to a place

Another part is the impact on globalisation and how the time-space compression is influencing how people percieve a place so in a question you can mention that too.

Representation of Place
Try and list as many examples of formal and informal representations of place and if you're not doing the past paper for AS from last year see if your teacher can get up the mark scheme from both the papers as there were 2 questions i think about 8 marks each on informal representation - one was synoptic one was a source in changing spaces as I myself find representation difficult to understand how to apply in a question so my advice is to use that past paper (which only teachers have access to) to work out what it is from representation you might be asked questions on.

Social Inequality
Can be measured using the indices of
1. Housing
2. Employment
3. Access to Services
4. Education
5. Income (linked to employment really)

Which again learn and discuss those factors in questions
I'd reccomend learning the definitions of
Spatial Inequality
Quality of Life
Standard of Living

As well as the 7 factors involved in Deprivation and discussing the cycle of deprivation
(1. housing
2. employment
3. access to services
4. crime rates
5. environmental quality
6. education
7. income

Ik know this might all seem a bit daunting but in the questions you'll be asked such as this one I've taken straight of the spec paper

"Explain the types of evidence that could be used to show social inequality. [4] "

That's 1 mark for explaining breifly about how to measure housing (quality or % rented / owned) , education (e.g. % of 16+ with a levels), access to services (doctors per person) and employment/income (household income). Which you'll know if you've revised the things I've just mentioned.

I'm not going to go on cus whilst there's still a lot there you'll find there are similar lists of factors to talk about in terms of
- Players
- Rebranding
- Placemaking processes

Another thing you can do is use random photos from places and analyse what is in them in a geographical sense such as a photo of the olympic park and label it with how it's been rebranded, if you can see litter/graffiti, perhaps that it's a brown field site etc.

again long winded but I hope this helps
Lii xx

cheers matey
Original post by LiiHyde
You might have tried this but like when you use the textbook there are lots of different things you can break down to learn. I imagine in the exam a lot of marks will come from just discussing these things and explaining how they work and then also answering the question.

Place Profiles

Learn the 6 place profiles:
1.Political
2.Cultural
3.Socio-economic
4.Demographic
5. Natural environment
6. Physical environment

In an exam you might be asked to explain one of these or look at a source and explain the place profile using those 6 factors.

For the case study that goes with this I'll give you the link to my quizlet of number facts for it (which also includes the other case studies and general facts) I think I've gone and starred the number ones which means you can play the gravity game which is fantastic for drilling in the numbers you might want to quote in a question

https://quizlet.com/_3568k6 If it doesn't let you access it without permission request for it and i'll accept your request to use it on quizlet.

Perception
Again similar in some ways to the place profiles there are 6 factors they want you to learn for perception which in a question you can discuss all of or the ones you feel are most important or in a figure explain what factors of perception might affect how a person perceives a certain location e.g. a wall of graffiti or play park or a church

1. Age
2. Gender
3. Sexuality
4. Religion
5. Role in Society
6. Emotional Attachment to a place

Another part is the impact on globalisation and how the time-space compression is influencing how people percieve a place so in a question you can mention that too.

Representation of Place
Try and list as many examples of formal and informal representations of place and if you're not doing the past paper for AS from last year see if your teacher can get up the mark scheme from both the papers as there were 2 questions i think about 8 marks each on informal representation - one was synoptic one was a source in changing spaces as I myself find representation difficult to understand how to apply in a question so my advice is to use that past paper (which only teachers have access to) to work out what it is from representation you might be asked questions on.

Social Inequality
Can be measured using the indices of
1. Housing
2. Employment
3. Access to Services
4. Education
5. Income (linked to employment really)

Which again learn and discuss those factors in questions
I'd reccomend learning the definitions of
Spatial Inequality
Quality of Life
Standard of Living

As well as the 7 factors involved in Deprivation and discussing the cycle of deprivation
(1. housing
2. employment
3. access to services
4. crime rates
5. environmental quality
6. education
7. income

Ik know this might all seem a bit daunting but in the questions you'll be asked such as this one I've taken straight of the spec paper

"Explain the types of evidence that could be used to show social inequality. [4] "

That's 1 mark for explaining breifly about how to measure housing (quality or % rented / owned) , education (e.g. % of 16+ with a levels), access to services (doctors per person) and employment/income (household income). Which you'll know if you've revised the things I've just mentioned.

I'm not going to go on cus whilst there's still a lot there you'll find there are similar lists of factors to talk about in terms of
- Players
- Rebranding
- Placemaking processes

Another thing you can do is use random photos from places and analyse what is in them in a geographical sense such as a photo of the olympic park and label it with how it's been rebranded, if you can see litter/graffiti, perhaps that it's a brown field site etc.

again long winded but I hope this helps
Lii xx

Im going to use this revision strategy just wondering if it helped u get that A

Quick Reply

Latest