The Student Room Group

quinolines and quinoline based compounds

is quinolines another way of saying quinoline based compounds?
Reply 1
You're better off putting this in Chemistry.

Yes, I've heard the term 'Quinolines' in the plural context of molecules of Quinoline containing additional Functional or R-groups. 'Anilines' also.

I think 'Quinoline Derivatives' is a better term for this though. It basically means that you can retrosynthesize quinoline from a known molecule that is made-up of it.
Original post by _NMcC_
You're better off putting this in Chemistry.

Yes, I've heard the term 'Quinolines' in the plural context of molecules of Quinoline containing additional Functional or R-groups. 'Anilines' also.

I think 'Quinoline Derivatives' is a better term for this though. It basically means that you can retrosynthesize quinoline from a known molecule that is made-up of it.

I didn't understand that so are you saying that quinolines is another way of saying quinoline based compounds?
Reply 3
Original post by tammie123
I didn't understand that so are you saying that quinolines is another way of saying quinoline based compounds?

Yes ''Quinolines'' is a valid way of saying Quinoline based compounds.

However if you ever have to use 'Quinolines', it's a better term in my opinion to use 'Quinoline Derivatives' or 'Derivatives of Quinoline' instead.
Original post by _NMcC_
Yes ''Quinolines'' is a valid way of saying Quinoline based compounds.

However if you ever have to use 'Quinolines', it's a better term in my opinion to use 'Quinoline Derivatives' or 'Derivatives of Quinoline' instead.

thank you so much! I've been stuck on a mechanism for hours because of this confusion
Hi,

Yes, the terms can be used interchangeably - this drug group, the prototype of which was quinine (a cinchona alkaloid), discovered several decades ago, and the later introduced chloroquine, mefloquine, halofantrine, etc [all derivatives possessing the quinoline chemical moiety] are powerful antimalarial drugs, with a proposed mechanism of action of inhibiting and disrupting the tetrahydrofolate pathway necessary for DNA synthesis in the genus Plasmodium, the malaria parasite.

Several strains of this genus, particularly of the species P. falciparum, the cause of the dreaded cerebral malaria [malignant tertian malaria] have developed resistance to some of the quinolines, including chloroquine, and this has necessitated the use of other antimalarials e. g. atovaquone/proguanil combination.

Some derivatives of these compounds [the quinolines], e.g. quinidine, also have an application in the management of certain cardiac arrhythmias.

M (ex-medic)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending