quinolines and quinoline based compounds

Watch this thread
username1003420
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
is quinolines another way of saying quinoline based compounds?
_NMcC_
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
You're better off putting this in Chemistry.

Yes, I've heard the term 'Quinolines' in the plural context of molecules of Quinoline containing additional Functional or R-groups. 'Anilines' also.

I think 'Quinoline Derivatives' is a better term for this though. It basically means that you can retrosynthesize quinoline from a known molecule that is made-up of it.
username1003420
Rep:
(Original post by _NMcC_)
You're better off putting this in Chemistry.

Yes, I've heard the term 'Quinolines' in the plural context of molecules of Quinoline containing additional Functional or R-groups. 'Anilines' also.

I think 'Quinoline Derivatives' is a better term for this though. It basically means that you can retrosynthesize quinoline from a known molecule that is made-up of it.
I didn't understand that so are you saying that quinolines is another way of saying quinoline based compounds?
_NMcC_
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tammie123)
I didn't understand that so are you saying that quinolines is another way of saying quinoline based compounds?
Yes ''Quinolines'' is a valid way of saying Quinoline based compounds.

However if you ever have to use 'Quinolines', it's a better term in my opinion to use 'Quinoline Derivatives' or 'Derivatives of Quinoline' instead.
username1003420
Rep:
(Original post by _NMcC_)
Yes ''Quinolines'' is a valid way of saying Quinoline based compounds.

However if you ever have to use 'Quinolines', it's a better term in my opinion to use 'Quinoline Derivatives' or 'Derivatives of Quinoline' instead.
thank you so much! I've been stuck on a mechanism for hours because of this confusion
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Yes, the terms can be used interchangeably - this drug group, the prototype of which was quinine (a cinchona alkaloid), discovered several decades ago, and the later introduced chloroquine, mefloquine, halofantrine, etc [all derivatives possessing the quinoline chemical moiety] are powerful antimalarial drugs, with a proposed mechanism of action of inhibiting and disrupting the tetrahydrofolate pathway necessary for DNA synthesis in the genus Plasmodium, the malaria parasite.

Several strains of this genus, particularly of the species P. falciparum, the cause of the dreaded cerebral malaria [malignant tertian malaria] have developed resistance to some of the quinolines, including chloroquine, and this has necessitated the use of other antimalarials e. g. atovaquone/proguanil combination.

Some derivatives of these compounds [the quinolines], e.g. quinidine, also have an application in the management of certain cardiac arrhythmias.

M (ex-medic)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (112)
68.29%
No (34)
20.73%
I didn't use it to prepare (18)
10.98%

Watched Threads