The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Sutton Bonnington campus

Hi, I have applied for Veterinary Medicine and really liked the course structure and atmosphere at Nottingham it seemed so friendly and welcoming. However the campus felt really isolated.
Coming from London I love the buzz of the city and I am concerened that it felt like theres not a lot going on at the Sutton Bonnington Campus?
Does it feel isolated living there, and is it a pain travelling to shops and nightclubs etc?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Hi Ella, Although I am waiting to go to Sutton Bonnington in sept too, I come from a rural area of the country outside of Cambridge. It is definitely different to a city but there should be good links and you would be surprised how easy it is to get a group into the city for a night out, and how many socials can get organised more locally! It won't be isolated, especially as you are on a campus with lots of like minded people. May just take a little adjusting to the change in how you get around and how easy it is, but there should be lots going on still. sorry i'm not the best help haha, and hopefully meet you in sept (dependent on thursday :0 )
Reply 3
I'm going into my second year of vet med at notts, and also come from london and love to party! the campus is quite isolated, but it doesn't stop you getting involved in stuff you want to. I would recommend bringing your car, if you have one, and want to play sport at the main university (very useful for that). there is a free hopper bus that runs all day (but not in the early hours of the morning) that takes you to the main campus, and at weekends into the city. it also stops at tram stops, which makes it very easy to go on nights out, as you just drink on the bus and tram on your way to the club! on the way back there are taxis in the city, which offer a set price of 18.50 back to SB, and if you have 4 people in a taxi, it hardly costs more than an uber. I go out twice a week clubbing, and it's really not that bad! don't worry about there not being that much on the campus- its super friendly, and doing vet med, you'll pretty much be busy all day! I would recommended getting involved in something at the main campus, and going on the SB ski trip in december as you get to meet so many more people. I was also apprehensive but it's fine and you get used to it! I would highlyyyy recommend an electric blanket as in the winter the rooms can get very cold overnight as heating is controlled by yourself, and it only stays on for 3 hours at a time (unless you're willing to wake up every 3 hours in the night)
Reply 4
Original post by CatM19
I'm going into my second year of vet med at notts, and also come from london and love to party! the campus is quite isolated, but it doesn't stop you getting involved in stuff you want to. I would recommend bringing your car, if you have one, and want to play sport at the main university (very useful for that). there is a free hopper bus that runs all day (but not in the early hours of the morning) that takes you to the main campus, and at weekends into the city. it also stops at tram stops, which makes it very easy to go on nights out, as you just drink on the bus and tram on your way to the club! on the way back there are taxis in the city, which offer a set price of 18.50 back to SB, and if you have 4 people in a taxi, it hardly costs more than an uber. I go out twice a week clubbing, and it's really not that bad! don't worry about there not being that much on the campus- its super friendly, and doing vet med, you'll pretty much be busy all day! I would recommended getting involved in something at the main campus, and going on the SB ski trip in december as you get to meet so many more people. I was also apprehensive but it's fine and you get used to it! I would highlyyyy recommend an electric blanket as in the winter the rooms can get very cold overnight as heating is controlled by yourself, and it only stays on for 3 hours at a time (unless you're willing to wake up every 3 hours in the night)

I am thinking about studying ved med at Nottingham but I was wondering whether it would be possible to live in the city and commute out to Sutton Bonnington for lectures? Does anyone doing vet med do this?
Original post by emnari
I am thinking about studying ved med at Nottingham but I was wondering whether it would be possible to live in the city and commute out to Sutton Bonnington for lectures? Does anyone doing vet med do this?

It is possible to do this, but for your first year you should definitely live in halls at the SB campus in order to make a close group of friends. From then on, you could live in a house share in Nottingham with fellow students in future years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending