Grounded / Detention Watch

beano150
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So just out of interest, anyone here ever been grounded or had detention? If so, what for and for how long?

I've never been grounded but I was made to stay in for like 5 minutes of break once to finish homework, barely long enough to call that a detention.

I'd add a poll but I don't see any option for that in the app.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by beano150)
So just out of interest, anyone here ever been grounded or had detention? If so, what for and for how long?

I've never been grounded but I was made to stay in for like 5 minutes of break once to finish homework, barely long enough to call that a detention.

I'd add a poll but I don't see any option for that in the app.
I was given detention because my art work was not good enough. Not happy about that.
beano150
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
I was given detention because my art work was not good enough. Not happy about that.
That stings, was it after school or during break and for how long? Just wanna know how unfair they made it lol
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
I'd f**king flip, where abouts did this happen? I'm pretty sure any parent in Scotland would be pretty annoyed.
independentx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be honest I probably got grounded as a little kid, not for many many years though. I'm too socially awkward to behave badly at school and therefore have never had a detention.

I remember once in primary school though getting into trouble for being rude to another kid my age (would have been about 6)... just got shouted at by a dinner lady though!!
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Same but i didn't go because its art and who cares if i can't draw pictures of fruit baskets
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I never had a detention :smug:

Although my art teacher tried to as my work wasnt 'good enough' even though I'm colourblind. After that, I just did my Maths homework in art lessons. She left me to it.

I probably was grounded at some point, but not what I can remember.
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That stings, was it after school or during break and for how long? Just wanna know how unfair they made it lol
After school. The work was to get leaves and draw them, so I was forced to go and get new leaves from outside the school and draw them again, so this took over 30 minutes

(Original post by chrissy99)
I'd f**king flip, where abouts did this happen? I'm pretty sure any parent in Scotland would be pretty annoyed.
It is **** to be honest, and an unusual reason for giving detention but at that age, 12, I never thought much of it.
beano150
Rep:
?
(Original post by independentx)
To be honest I probably got grounded as a little kid, not for many many years though. I'm too socially awkward to behave badly at school and therefore have never had a detention.

I remember once in primary school though getting into trouble for being rude to another kid my age... just got shouted at by a dinner lady though!!
Lol primary schools don't really do detention except for year 6 when they prepare you for year 7, that's if the detention is necessary anyway not just randomly given out like sweets XD
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My form tutor in year 9 tried giving the whole class a 50 minute detention because our substitute teacher for history didn't turn up. A few students from the class had left and when they came back they said they had told a teacher and it was being dealt with. So obviously nobody else did anything because why would we if it was being dealt with. They were lying - they had told no teacher and nobody knew we were unsupervised in a classroom. When my dad found out and the other parents they were all furious. After long phone calls with my form tutor, he eventually cancelled the detention.

I never had a detention whilst at school. Proud of that, weirdly.
beano150
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jack22031994)
I never had a detention :smug:

Although my art teacher tried to as my work wasnt 'good enough' even though I'm colourblind. After that, I just did my Maths homework in art lessons. She left me to it.

I probably was grounded at some point, but not what I can remember.
Whilst I've never really had a detention (I ain't counting that 5 minutes thing), or been grounded, I now feel that I could've perhaps lightened my childhood years up a bit by being a bit of a rebel, but nothing so serious to get me a detention or grounding.
independentx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol primary schools don't really do detention except for year 6 when they prepare you for year 7, that's if the detention is necessary anyway not just randomly given out like sweets XD
Lol yeah that's true, loads of people in my "RIOT CLASS" got detention at the end of primary... it didn't change them. They were still a riot when they went to secondary.
beano150
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
My form tutor in year 9 tried giving the whole class a 50 minute detention because our substitute teacher for history didn't turn up. A few students from the class had left and when they came back they said they had told a teacher and it was being dealt with. So obviously nobody else did anything because why would we if it was being dealt with. They were lying - they had told no teacher and nobody knew we were unsupervised in a classroom. When my dad found out and the other parents they were all furious. After long phone calls with my form tutor, he eventually cancelled the detention.

I never had a detention whilst at school. Proud of that, weirdly.
Somehow your comment there reminded me of something in high school, I think it was year 8 or 9. Basically the whole class was being given a break, lunchtime and after school detention all in the same day because of something everyone was involved in, but not me. When the teacher said it I kind of sighed and the teacher was then like "Except you" to me lol. Dodged a bullet there.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whilst I've never really had a detention (I ain't counting that 5 minutes thing), or been grounded, I now feel that I could've perhaps lightened my childhood years up a bit by being a bit of a rebel, but nothing so serious to get me a detention or grounding.
Thats true I guess. I could of 'lived a bit more' and still have got to where I am now (Currently doing an MA )

It might have helped me socially too, as tbf I was socially withdrawn as a teen and to some extent I am now. Ah well, least I gave my parents a good reason to go to parents evening unlike my sister (sometimes) :lol:
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
After school. The work was to get leaves and draw them, so I was forced to go and get new leaves from outside the school and draw them again, so this took over 30 minutes

It is **** to be honest, and an unusual reason for giving detention but at that age, 12, I never thought much of it.
If I was given detention and made to paint a picture I'd paint this...

Name:  510QC7bhlBL._SY450_.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  32.7 KB
beano150
Rep:
?
Lol yeah that's true, loads of people in my "RIOT CLASS" got detention at the end of primary... it didn't change them. They were still a riot when they went to secondary.
Generally doesn't really matter to students anyway, the way I would look at it if I got a detention is it's the school's time they're wasting, seeing as the only thing I'd be doing on a break is hanging about in the playground, bored as phones were banned, and I'd rather be inside anyway. I was socially awkward so didn't really spend time with my mates much during breaks. The only detention that would bother me would be an after school one
beano150
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jack22031994)
Thats true I guess. I could of 'lived a bit more' and still have got to where I am now (Currently doing an MA )

It might have helped me socially too, as tbf I was socially withdrawn as a teen and to some extent I am now. Ah well, least I gave my parents a good reason to go to parents evening unlike my sister (sometimes) :lol:
I was close to getting a lunchtime one myself when I put over the menu sign that said "Lunchtimes are fun" I replaced the word "fun" with a "boring" label, the only reason I got out of it is because the dinner ladies weren't allowed to give detentions and couldn't be bothered to chase up my form tutor. I only did it because it was a dare.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was close to getting a lunchtime one myself when I put over the menu sign that said "Lunchtimes are fun" I replaced the word "fun" with a "boring" label, the only reason I got out of it is because the dinner ladies weren't allowed to give detentions and couldn't be bothered to chase up my form tutor. I only did it because it was a dare.
:rofl:
independentx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Generally doesn't really matter to students anyway, the way I would look at it if I got a detention is it's the school's time they're wasting, seeing as the only thing I'd be doing on a break is hanging about in the playground, bored as phones were banned, and I'd rather be inside anyway. I was socially awkward so didn't really spend time with my mates much during breaks. The only detention that would bother me would be an after school one
Yeah, I would hate an after school detention too. At break/lunch I kinda wouldn't care in a way either, seeing as I'm Mrs No Mates most of the time anyway aha (and particularly after the summer when all my friends leave and I can't because of only being 15)!! Haha, still don't want a detention though!!
beano150
Rep:
?
Yeah, I would hate an after school detention too. At break/lunch I kinda wouldn't care in a way either, seeing as I'm Mrs No Mates most of the time anyway aha (and particularly after the summer when all my friends leave and I can't because of only being 15)!! Haha, still don't want a detention though!!
Lol yeah. And even if it's a lunch detention, you still have to have time to eat so it'd most likely be in the staff room where the teachers eat their dinner.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
31.92%
The paper was reasonable (405)
49.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
11.17%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
7.77%

Watched Threads