The Student Room Group

Car geeks

i need ur advice, I have a 1.4 Peugeot 207 with 125bhp and I was wanting to change my exhaust from 1 tail pipe to 4 tail pipes but however I'm just wondering would it look stupid? even if no one would know its a 1.4 as its been de-badged

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bennyboi1
i need ur advice, I have a 1.4 Peugeot 207 with 125bhp and I was wanting to change my exhaust from 1 tail pipe to 4 tail pipes but however I'm just wondering would it look stupid? even if no one would know its a 1.4 as its been de-badged

Of course it'll look stupid.
Reply 2
If you're changing your car to look like something more powerful than it actually is, then it's probably going to look stupid.

Non car guys are unlikely to be interested or impressed.
Car guys would mock you. A quad exhaust on a 207 with 125bhp ? Who you foolin' ? Debadged or not, most people already know the lower and upper specifications of a 207. Even if it looks good the sound will be embarrassing coming out of such an exhaust. Don't think about cutting up bits of your exhaust to make it louder, either. It won't sound good one bit coming from that tiny engine.

If there's a real functional reason for installing a quad pipe exhaust system, say, you have extensively increased the power through engine swapping, improved intake and forced induction then yeah, it might make sense. Although why you'd do that on a 1.4L 207 would be beyond me.

Rough guide? Aesthetically speaking, for a modern car I'd say the following is acceptable:
0-200BHP = 1 pipe, 200-320BHP = 2 pipe, 320BHP+ = 3-4 pipes. Some exceptions for cars with AWD or LSD, I guess.
Mechanically speaking, it depends on whether you have a single or dual exhaust system. This depends on the number of cylinders in your engine. A 4 cylinder engine has one exhaust manifold whereas an engine with 6 cylinders or more will have two exhaust manifolds. You typically have 1-2 exhaust tips per system. For this reason, on some hot hatches you'll see 2 tailpipes. You may find 4 tailpipes on some deserving 4 cylinder hyperhatches for stylistic purposes such as the Mercedes A45 and even on not so hyper hatches such as the Golf R & Audi S3 - (which shouldn't get it IMO but hey, it helps them sell)
Fundamentally these 4 cylinder hatches still operate on a single exhaust system. However, the point is, the 207 isn't a hyperhatch and noone will believe it is one even if you debadge it. So forget it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
NX dont be so aggressive, i posed a question not a threat. Anyways, back to the point im gettin the car tuned up and i'll upgrading all the necessiary stuff to help increase power. By the end of im lookin to have 210bhp. The exhuast would sound deep with growls and crackles so no it wont have the car sounding like ****in fart can.
Reply 4
NX dont be so aggressive, i posed a question not a threat. Anyways, back to the point im gettin the car tuned up and i'll upgrading all the necessiary stuff to help increase power. By the end of im lookin to have 210bhp. The exhuast would sound deep with growls and crackles so no it wont have the car sounding like ****in fart can.

Have fun with your insurance costs :laugh:

Yes. In my opinion, there are plenty of 300hp cars with 4 pipes (Golf R, Audi S1) that look a bit overdone. At the end of the day it's a 207. I'd say two pipes on one side is acceptable. Of course if you want four then it's your choice and go ahead!

From what I can find on the web the 1.4 engine is naturally-aspirated. Without force-induction, 210hp is absolutely impossible. Quick ballpark calculation says that even if you really tune it, 210hp from a 1.4 needs about 10,000 RPM. All I will say is good luck fitting forced induction and convincing an insurance company to cover you...
Reply 6

I took the time to write an informative post for you that is straight talking from facts and experience and that's what you took from it?? I don't say it often but the word snowflake comes to mind here. That and I smell a bit of rice, too.

As forementioned, I don't see how you can hit 210BHP without some help from forced induction; you may as well just buy a faster stock car given the cost of upgrading AND insurance. That and a quick search returned nothing verifiable for that amount of power being reached for your car.

Also, no, it still sounds dreadful with a modified exhaust. Generally 4 cylinder engines sound pretty awful with the exception of some hot hatches that have been specifically designed for performance. Sadly, the 1.4L Peugeot 207 is neither a hot hatch nor was the engine designed for performance. The exhaust should amplify or enhance an already good sound. Not exaggerate something that already sounds bad.
(edited 6 years ago)
No way would that look acceptable, cancel that idea and save up for a car worthy of four pipes e.g. Golf R or an S3 or an older V8 if your money ain't like that yet.
Reply 8
@community assistant - money isn't an issue here.

@TheMind Garage - I'm getting an engine swap to a 1.6l

@NX172 - AS I said, the car is getting an engine swap to 1.6l and ive already found a video with Peugeot 207 1.4l with 4 tail pipes and it sounds mean. AS to ur senses, no I'm not a ricer. A ricer is someone who adds modifications to a car that doesn't give it any performance enhancements. Ive tuned the car up, went from a 90mph to 125.

@atheclassicman - the 207 was my first car and I'm keeping till I wish to sell which wont be any time soon. However while I'm keeping the car I want to make changes to it. I will still be buying other cars.
Mate I wanted to take the lazy option of directing you to a Peugeot or tuning enthusiasts board but NX has saved you the trouble. Don't trash posters here who put their own time and effort into helping you, it'll end in tears.
Reply 10
Original post by nevershear
Mate I wanted to take the lazy option of directing you to a Peugeot or tuning enthusiasts board but NX has saved you the trouble. Don't trash posters here who put their own time and effort into helping you, it'll end in tears.

Im not trashing anyone here... I respect everyones views.

You’ll look stupid, and your insurance will go up.

If you’re gonna do any modifications, just tint the windows or something.
Reply 12
no I'm not a ricer. A ricer is someone who adds modifications to a car that doesn't give it any performance enhancements

Exactly.. so you are a ricer...
Don't worry you won't look stupid.....You'll look like an absolute moron haha
The 207 like all other Peugeot models is a w*nk car and probably isn’t worth putting any effort into improving it. But I understand there’s an enthusiast for every model so it’s your car, your choice.

Quad exhaust pipes on a car like that would just look terrible and you’ll probably be laughed at, so why not avoid the humiliation and buy a 207gti or make yours look like one.
Reply 15
Original post by RoyalSheepy
You’ll look stupid, and your insurance will go up.

If you’re gonna do any modifications, just tint the windows or something.

as i said, money isnt an issue hence why im willing to spend 500 quid on changing the exhaust. This is just a project car, somethin to do when im bored.
Reply 16
How am i ricer if ive already done stuff to the car to enhance its performance? and on the side note, therer is absolutely nothing wrong with being a ricer. Call me a ricer all u want i couldnt care lol
Reply 17
If yous want to see a 207 thats got 4 tail pipes go on youtube and type in "207 powerflow exhaust" its a blue 207 in the thumbnail. Watch it and give me ur honest opinion regardless of the engine size.Thats the video thats gave me the idea of puttin 4 tail pipes.
If yous want to see a 207 thats got 4 tail pipes go on youtube and type in "207 powerflow exhaust" its a blue 207 in the thumbnail. Watch it and give me ur honest opinion regardless of the engine size.Thats the video thats gave me the idea of puttin 4 tail pipes.

It doesn’t look that bad actually
Reply 19
Original post by AtheClassicMan
It doesn’t look that bad actually

I think with the addition of a rear diffuser would help its look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending