The Student Room Group

Cancelled debit card.

I cancelled my debit card as I lost it.

How can I carry on using my money, like buying food, while I wait for the new card?
Original post by feelinglife

How can I carry on using my money, like buying food, while I wait for the new card?

You can go into your local branch and take money out at the counter. I think you need ID and you'll be able to do it. I did that when I lost mine last year. I think.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
You can go into your local branch and take money out at the counter. I think you need ID and you'll be able to do it. I did that when I lost mine last year. I think.

Thanks.
For online purchases you can use Paypal (providing the website accepts it of course) and link it directly to your bank account so it's taken direct from your account rather than through a card.
Reply 4
Original post by feelinglife

As DrawTheLine pointed out, you should be able to visit your branch with proof of identity and get cash there.

But ideally you arrange things so that you're not reliant on a single bank card (or even a single bank).

So, in preparation for next time this happens, I'd suggest opening something simple like a savings account with cash card access. Keep some money in there; and keep the cash card somewhere safe at home.

If you should lose your main bank card again (or have it stolen), you've got a fallback you can use to get hold of cash. (If you keep it at home, you won't lose it if your wallet gets stolen.)

If you have online banking, you can just transfer cash from your main account to the savings account, and use the savings cashcard to withdraw cash from a machine. This is a lot easier than having to go to a branch of your bank with proof of identity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending