studentLPC_LLM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have recently applied and been accepted to study the course of Legal Practice LLM. This course is eligible for student finance of £10,609, however the course itself is £14,500. I have no means to pay for the rest of the fees aswell as financing myself to travel to and from university, provide relevant books ect. Is there a way I could go about this as I need to complete this course in order to be able to qualify for a Training Contract so I can qualify as a solicitor?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by studentLPC_LLM)
I have recently applied and been accepted to study the course of Legal Practice LLM. This course is eligible for student finance of £10,609, however the course itself is £14,500. I have no means to pay for the rest of the fees aswell as financing myself to travel to and from university, provide relevant books ect. Is there a way I could go about this as I need to complete this course in order to be able to qualify for a Training Contract so I can qualify as a solicitor?
If it is UoL or BPP have you checked they dont have a loan facility to make up the difference? You can also try a Career development loan form the Co Op.

Without a TC I wouldnt self finance the LPC. Just my opinion, unless you have supreme faith in yourself and you have a good degree plus a burning passion to qualify.
studentLPC_LLM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
If it is UoL or BPP have you checked they dont have a loan facility to make up the difference? You can also try a Career development loan form the Co Op.

Without a TC I wouldnt self finance the LPC. Just my opinion, unless you have supreme faith in yourself and you have a good degree plus a burning passion to qualify.
I have applied to study at the university of Westminster and the only other means available is looking like a scholarship. do not have a training Contract but I feel in order to complete and qualify the only next step here would be is to do the LPC with LLM as I would not be able to self fund the LPC neither. I have completed my degree and have had the desire to become a solicitor since my GCSE's as thats when I began Law, so I do believe I would be able to do it, it is just currently I do not think its fair to say that Student Finance can fund the Legal Practice LLM but will only keep it to the amount for a normal masters course which is cheaper than this.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by studentLPC_LLM)
I have applied to study at the university of Westminster and the only other means available is looking like a scholarship. do not have a training Contract but I feel in order to complete and qualify the only next step here would be is to do the LPC with LLM as I would not be able to self fund the LPC neither. I have completed my degree and have had the desire to become a solicitor since my GCSE's as thats when I began Law, so I do believe I would be able to do it, it is just currently I do not think its fair to say that Student Finance can fund the Legal Practice LLM but will only keep it to the amount for a normal masters course which is cheaper than this.
Until recently there was no such funding. As I said you can always use a CDL or get a place at the UoL and they have extra finance loans for the gap or get a job or find somewhere cheaper. Experience and getting a TC beforehand should also be an option, much better if they pay. i dont think i would pay for myself were I in that position.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unfortunately the LLM LPC providers usually are not generous with scholarships.That is, they don't offer them at all usually.

You would have to secure additional funding, either the Professional and Career Development Loan the Government offers or those offered by charities or banks. Your best bet would be probably to get a paralegal job and study the LPC part-time. Postgrad is still a rich man's game; the loans are crap, unfortunately.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had legal training it’s a absolute scam. I suggest you apply to some charities or go fund me inc any rich family members or whatever. It’s an awful system of training getting into law absolute rip off unless you’re rich.

Remember if you take out a career development loan you have to start largish repayments a month after graduation! It’s definitely not something most students can afford.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (126)
41.58%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.22%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (24)
7.92%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.11%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.27%

Watched Threads