Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional offer for cambridge starting october, so in the mean time i have an entry level job doing admin, I make about 1500 a month before tax.

However, the only reason i have the job is to save for university, but I'm entitled to the maximum loan and cambridge bursary, so i struggle to see the point at the moment. The work is depressing and extremely stressful considering it is entry level.
    My plan is to quit my job and just focus on my health for the next 5 months before university, as I am currently around 3 stone overweight. idk I feel very conflicted but overall the work is stressing me out constantly.
    Should I just quit the job considering my university place is already guaranteed, then I could focus on my health, or would it be a mistake to give up the job considering it is okay pay for a 19 year old.
    any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambridgedream)
    I have an unconditional offer for cambridge starting october, so in the mean time i have an entry level job doing admin, I make about 1500 a month before tax.

However, the only reason i have the job is to save for university, but I'm entitled to the maximum loan and cambridge bursary, so i struggle to see the point at the moment. The work is depressing and extremely stressful considering it is entry level.
    My plan is to quit my job and just focus on my health for the next 5 months before university, as I am currently around 3 stone overweight. idk I feel very conflicted but overall the work is stressing me out constantly.
    Should I just quit the job considering my university place is already guaranteed, then I could focus on my health, or would it be a mistake to give up the job considering it is okay pay for a 19 year old.
    just give up if you don't like it - the funding is enough, plenty enough, actually - assuming it's the max Cambridge bursary too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    just give up if you don't like it - the funding is enough, plenty enough, actually - assuming it's the max Cambridge bursary too
    yeah it would be 8700 + the 3500 bursary, so i believe that would be plenty for me to survive on.

ReputationRep:
    I would say just quit if you aren't enjoying the job, especially if the only reason you are working is to save up for university- as I believe the maximum loan and bursary would cover your living costs. However, cambridge terms are quite short so I guess saving the extra income from your job now would help for the long breaks between cambridge terms.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Surrey (it's in Guildford, expensive bc London commuters) uni which might be similar in price to Cambridge? But i've a fairly low maintenance loan but manage to live well tbh, so with that loan and bursary you will be very well off. Any savings from your job on top will mean you'll be living like a king first year I'm sure

I'd say take the freedom now and chill until uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie_cats)
    I would say just quit if you aren't enjoying the job, especially if the only reason you are working is to save up for university- as I believe the maximum loan and bursary would cover your living costs. However, cambridge terms are quite short so I guess saving the extra income from your job now would help for the long breaks between cambridge terms.
    yeah that's a really good point. I am considering possibly working for the next two months and saving all my income from that. Then quitting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroNandos)
    I'm at Surrey (it's in Guildford, expensive bc London commuters) uni which might be similar in price to Cambridge? But i've a fairly low maintenance loan but manage to live well tbh, so with that loan and bursary you will be very well off. Any savings from your job on top will mean you'll be living like a king first year I'm sure

I'd say take the freedom now and chill until uni
    thanks so much for the reply, yeah that's true that it will be plenty of money. I guess I'm just worried about quitting a job and the implications that might have on my CV if I have large periods of unemployment etc

ReputationRep:

If you can afford time off in life dont turn down the chance! I'd do another couple of months depending on how long you've been there (if you can show around 9 months on a CV it can be helpful for future employment). Then work in a bar a couple of nights a week. Try walking four miles a day - that shouldnt be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    Quit and maybe get another job.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it would be 8700 + the 3500 bursary, so i believe that would be plenty for me to survive on.
    You could "survive" with that in London

It's leisurely spending in Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much for the reply, yeah that's true that it will be plenty of money. I guess I'm just worried about quitting a job and the implications that might have on my CV if I have large periods of unemployment etc
    I wouldn't be worried about that, as a degree from Cambridge will be a great career boost in itself surely? And is the admin job even relevant to the field you're going to work in? Congrats on the offer btw

But honestly I do think you'll be fine in all aspects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj2000)
    If you can afford time off in life dont turn down the chance! I'd do another couple of months depending on how long you've been there (if you can show around 9 months on a CV it can be helpful for future employment). Then work in a bar a couple of nights a week. Try walking four miles a day - that shouldnt be too hard.
    thanks for the reply ! yeah true, I got the job offer in october so I guess working until june would be better on my cv, then i could have the summer off to work on health. Is there any reason for the 9 month mark btw as I've never heard of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    You could "survive" with that in London

It's leisurely spending in Cambridge
    yes of course, "survive" was probably a bad word choice lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroNandos)
    I wouldn't be worried about that, as a degree from Cambridge will be a great career boost in itself surely? And is the admin job even relevant to the field you're going to work in? Congrats on the offer btw

But honestly I do think you'll be fine in all aspects!
    Yeah true and thanks so much! And it's working for a bank, so I guess there's transferable skills there but I definitely don't want to go into finance after university aha.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply ! yeah true, I got the job offer in october so I guess working until june would be better on my cv, then i could have the summer off to work on health. Is there any reason for the 9 month mark btw as I've never heard of that
    its just my guess as to how (other) recruiting managers would view it. 9 months looks like a years experience for an entry level position/ young person. Enough to be confident someone has done a job and can apply what they learned to their next role.. If asked why you left in an interview you just say you were travelling around friends before going to university.

By the way - what date did you start? As a bit of a trick its always worth pushing to start a job at the end of a month (say 30 Sept) rather than 1st Oct) and leave early in a month rather than a few days earlier). Sept 17 - June 18 looks like you basically did a years work whereas Oct 17 - May 18 looks more like a decent temping job. Its just a quick perception thing which might help you one day.

ReputationRep:

You could do fewer hours? Many people find the structure in their life that a job provides useful. It's easy to tell yourself that you'll do "so much" with your free time, until you simply don't because it's easier to sleep until 11am.

You'll obviously know yourself better than I know you, and know if this could be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj2000)
    its just my guess as to how (other) recruiting managers would view it. 9 months looks like a years experience for an entry level position/ young person. Enough to be confident someone has done a job and can apply what they learned to their next role.. If asked why you left in an interview you just say you were travelling around friends before going to university.

By the way - what date did you start? As a bit of a trick its always worth pushing to start a job at the end of a month (say 30 Sept) rather than 1st Oct) and leave early in a month rather than a few days earlier). Sept 17 - June 18 looks like you basically did a years work whereas Oct 17 - May 18 looks more like a decent temping job. Its just a quick perception thing which might help you one day.
    yeah that makes a lot of sense, and thanks for the advice, and I'll definitely use that tip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NonIndigenous)
    You could do fewer hours? Many people find the structure in their life that a job provides useful. It's easy to tell yourself that you'll do "so much" with your free time, until you simply don't because it's easier to sleep until 11am.

You'll obviously know yourself better than I know you, and know if this could be a problem.
    lol this is so true, tbh i would probably end up doing that without a lot of self discipline

ReputationRep:
    yeah that makes a lot of sense, and thanks for the advice, and I'll definitely use that tip!
    Given your academics it might never matter for you! I was told it back in the mists of time and realised other people know it too. When you spend an afternoon reading CVs you'll see why it works!

ReputationRep:
    You could hustle and make 1000 in a week.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.